Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 12-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Praetorian

Default [1.0.7.1] Sting Like a ROCK - S&B Octavius RoK+FW Tactician, Gladiator farmer (9 minutes)

"Float like butterfly, sting like a ROCK"

Hello, wonderful people!
It's been a while since I played with my old Octavius witchblade.
In 1.0.2.0 Crucible was a lot harder to survive, so Octavius was kinda obvious choice for those who wanted to farm it safely.
In 1.0.6.1 it was still unkillable, but there were builds much faster than Octavius, and it remained alone and unused.
Until patch 1.0.7.1 landed. And then I decided to assemble it as a Tactician and use freshly buffed Rune of Kalastor.

Meet the Sting like a ROCK.

>> Grimtools << no green items used << tweaked by Mercymaker

Clears Crucible in 9 minutes.

Core of the build
  • Main damage skills of this build are Forcewave, Rune of Kalastor and Blitz.
  • Core items for this build are Mythical Earthsplitter and Ardor of Octavius set.
  • Octavius is well known for its supreme defenses; it has 3800 Armor, 3800 (hardcapped) DA, huge physical resistance and secondary resistances making it very hard to kill.

Key explanations
  • Mythical Earthsplitter is better than Pummeler due to its proc granting 3 projectiles with Internal Trauma. Its shotgun shows better damage output than Pummeler's Forcewave mod.
  • Mythical Sigil of the Bear King is better than Mythical Mark of Kalastor, its 15% crit + 150% IT mod for Forcewave outperforms Mark of Kalastor by 40-45 seconds in clear times.

Gameplay
  • Aggressive hybrid combat. You don't need to faceroll everything (while you actually can); throw Forcewave, put Rune of Kalastor, push every offensive skill you have and everything dies in seconds. During this you can, i dunno, drink some tea for example.
  • This build has not so many sources of sustain, so on wave 169 try to not engage Theodin and Anasteria in close range. Shot them from distance.

Max crit landed in Crucible (solo, Crucible buffs, no banners)

Stats pane (Deadly Aim and permanent auras up)

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23DKUGxVnA

Discovering build's true potential by Mercymaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercymaker View Post
6:40 run!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1x9RI5wYyQ
All 3 runs:
Spoiler!

Probably one of the fastest if not the fastest physical build i've run through crucible so far. What a beast of a build.

More aggressive setup using Oleron by Superfluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
''Could have been perhaps under 6:40 if it weren't for Armored mutator and Lucius hugging a plant but I did 6 runs and all of them gave me Armored - the Universe ey?. A potentially bit more aggressive version of the newly revamped Octavius set that went for Oleron/Boar devotions. Although Vire versions can do similar kill times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccXqzJc9KZo

GT: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gD1WBV

GT no green ring: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/xZy45bwV

The MI version is just a bit more expensive but worth it for most of your stats. You can move points from cunning to physique if you want a round 12k HP.''
Originally Posted by mad_lee View Post
Octavius injects a decilitre of horse hormones into untransmuted FW.

Last edited by veretragna; 12-19-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:01 PM
Herald

I was wondering how the new Kalastor support is working out for Octavius...

One question: isn't Artifact Handling worth pursuing to at least to 6/10 for the points from Laceration? I never played Blade Arc and I don't know how useful it is but to get to AH at 6/10 you'd have to lose about 80 IT/s and 40 phys from Laceration (to leave it at one point) and take one more point from somewhere. It seems ok as Ignition gives 275 IT/s and 324 phys. And the base Kalastor is 800+ phys. 10% of that seems to be worth more than investing in Laceration (not to mention the cdr).

Please correct my reasoning if its wrong, I'm just asking.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Acolyte

Almost exactly how I rebuilt my lvl100 FW tactician after 1.0.7. I never intended using RoK originally, but it seems to work fine and is still a very effective build(though I have Oleron instead of Light of Empyrion.) Look forward to the rest of the guide.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_ View Post
I was wondering how the new Kalastor support is working out for Octavius...

One question: isn't Artifact Handling worth pursuing to at least to 6/10 for the points from Laceration? I never played Blade Arc and I don't know how useful it is but to get to AH at 6/10 you'd have to lose about 80 IT/s and 40 phys from Laceration (to leave it at one point) and take one more point from somewhere. It seems ok as Ignition gives 275 IT/s and 324 phys. And the base Kalastor is 800+ phys. 10% of that seems to be worth more than investing in Laceration (not to mention the cdr).

Please correct my reasoning if its wrong, I'm just asking.
Artifact Handling is not worth it, if the needed points are extracted from Laceration.
IT from Laceration is multiplied by 2.75 + 25% crit damage using BA transmuter, so maxing Laceration is the most effective way to stack Internal Trauma here. In fact it's one of our main offensive skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgewitch View Post
Almost exactly how I rebuilt my lvl100 FW tactician after 1.0.7. I never intended using RoK originally, but it seems to work fine and is still a very effective build(though I have Oleron instead of Light of Empyrion.) Look forward to the rest of the guide.
Yes, indeed. My clear time vary from 8:30 to 9:10 under Vanguard banner. Try Rune of Kalastor, it's really brutal now.
Guide is on its way, almost done
Old 12-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Praetorian

The guide is ready, enjoy
Old 12-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Praetorian

Since you use earthsplitter that has AS i'd still charge DM, You get more consistent Dots from a powerful DW rather than the 5 sec CD LAceration

Or try with DM no laceration and Artifact handling.https://www.grimtools.com/calc/8NKBdzpZ (medal is a personal choice)That total dmg on kalastor and CDR should give some pretty neat clearing consistency
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai
I don't have much sympathy

Last edited by Superfluff; 12-16-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Champion

I saw the earlier version and thought it lacked a lot of internet trauma. This looks so much better, almost exactly as I would build it. Good job.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Since you use earthsplitter that has AS i'd still charge DM, You get more consistent Dots from a powerful DW rather than the 5 sec CD LAceration
Nope.
This build already has many buttons to press, and charging DM takes a lot of focus. You must charge Cadence, than press Blitz, Doomforce, Ground Smash, then charge DM again once per 4 seconds, and watch CD of all skills...
Just no. No cadence in IT build. Laceration FTW.

Quote:
I saw the earlier version and thought it lacked a lot of internet trauma. This looks so much better, almost exactly as I would build it. Good job.
Thanks mate
Old 12-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veretragna View Post
Nope.
This build already has many buttons to press, and charging DM takes a lot of focus. You must charge Cadence, than press Blitz, Doomforce, Ground Smash, then charge DM again once per 4 seconds, and watch CD of all skills...
Just no. No cadence in IT build. Laceration FTW.
Well, i've already played Old octavius with DM. This one has Kalastor as well so i'd have to see if it's that uncomfortable. I would really like to try it with Artefact handling as I'm a fan of Kalastor.

9 min clear is a pretty long time considering how much AoE this build should cover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai
I don't have much sympathy

Last edited by Superfluff; 12-16-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Champion

Quote:
Well, i've already played Old octavius with DM. This one has Kalastor as well so i'd have to see if it's that uncomfortable. I would really like to try it with Artefact handling as I'm a fan of Kalastor.

9 min clear is a pretty long time considering how much AoE this build should cover
It's dot IT build, I think it's as fast as it can get. It's not a bleeding Trickster )

Tags
forcewave, octavius, s&b, tactician