Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Community Section > General Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furycat View Post
I generally love squillions of uniques.

YerkYerk - yes, I know what you are saying. But part of this system is having some items which are meh (barely better than yellows) and some which are uber - part of learning the game is learning which items your character wants and does not want.

I personally am hoping for tons of special uniques, rares, legendaries, epics, celestials, ultimates and other yummy 'tiered' unique items. Some meh, some awesome. And when an uber one drops, for the player to chase their cat around the room attempting to hug it.
Actually, it was not so much the power that I had a problem with, it was the little variety they offered. In D2, for comparison, you could build a character around items. Summoner sorceress, melee sorc, ww-sin, were-barb, Ctc pallies, etc... these items (especially the 1.10 runewords) offered a lot of interesting gameplay tactics. TQ's item offer a more simple stat comparison.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by MageMaster View Post
Me also, but one of the biggest things I run into is somethings are just too hard to decide what is better. Many times I have to use the new weapon/item for a few minutes and then decide if its better and then put the old one back on to see if it "slows down" so to speak.
How is this a bad thing? I'd prefer the game not provide clear cut "This weapon is always 100% better" type distinctions. There are plenty of other games (WoW, I'm looking at you here) where it is very easy to determine what weapon is best using spreadsheets/napkin math. You know what happens? Everyone starts using the same items. If that's not boring and monotonous, I don't know what is. I really hope GD does not have standout weapons/armor that are hands down the best choices.

I like the sense of discovery that experimenting with similar, but different, items brings. Do I want this sword with the chance to proc a lightning bolt or the one that adds bleeding damage? I'll test them out. If they are roughly equivalent, I'll pick one based on aesthetics.
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #13  
Old 05-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

While we aim to have a lot of cool looking item models, there is no way we can afford to create as many as TQ; at least, not in the initial release. However, I believe we will surpass TQ over time through the release of expansions. Not only did TQ have more unique item art than D2, it had probably 3-5x more pieces of art that actually appeared on the character. There were something like 1600 unique pieces of 3d item art. D2 tended to reuse the same art for a lot of unique items or they'd have a unique bitmap but the item on the 3d item art wouldn't be unique. Given our ultra small budget, this is a trick we will also have to rely on to some extent.

So, like D2, we will probably have a lot more unique items than we have unique item art. While we can't do as much on the art side, it doesn't cost nearly as much money to configure database records for unique items and affixes. The nice thing though, is that by the time you feel like you've seen all the item art in the initial game, we'll be releasing expansions full of new item art.

Personally though, I think the item collection in GD will be more interesting than TQ because our crafting and magical affix system will be a lot more robust with different classes of magical affixes that will provide a much greater diversity of powerful combinations.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
While we aim to have a lot of cool looking item models, there is no way we can afford to create as many as TQ; at least, not in the initial release. However, I believe we will surpass TQ over time through the release of expansions. Not only did TQ have more unique item art than D2, it had probably 3-5x more pieces of art that actually appeared on the character. There were something like 1600 unique pieces of 3d item art. D2 tended to reuse the same art for a lot of unique items or they'd have a unique bitmap but the item on the 3d item art wouldn't be unique. Given our ultra small budget, this is a trick we will also have to rely on to some extent.

So, like D2, we will probably have a lot more unique items than we have unique item art. While we can't do as much on the art side, it doesn't cost nearly as much money to configure database records for unique items and affixes. The nice thing though, is that by the time you feel like you've seen all the item art in the initial game, we'll be releasing expansions full of new item art.

Personally though, I think the item collection in GD will be more interesting than TQ because our crafting and magical affix system will be a lot more robust with different classes of magical affixes that will provide a much greater diversity of powerful combinations.
Thx 4 special news on unique item arts.

What about a pre-pre-pre alpha inventory shot with inside equipment?

Gold Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGP4LT_cYo&hd=1
Silver Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhioIlUz0Q
Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Initiate

hmm... yes. but with a good editor you can make in 6 month(release) more as 1000 uniques i think. but it´s nice to hear there will be many of them:P
Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Initiate

and recoloring for a other unique with the same art is a good idea if they are really different. i think the GD team will make a good work
Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

TQ had a ridiculous amount of models; I found it a bit of a shame that so many were for the lower levels and you never saw them back. I think there was a lot more reusability with those items. Kind of a shame to find a rare catch (an epic sword), only to see that it couldn't even beat the current green you were wearing, let alone last longer than 1 act.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Herald

Retexturing existing models is the best way to inexpensively create new weapons/armor that still look unique. Recolors are second best, but not quite as good. I'd be perfectly fine with seeing a cool model reused a few times, especially if higher level versions had a more unique texture or particle effect applied.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Counsel

cant Crate just make uniq items look total cool compared to normal items??

thats all :-P
Old 05-31-2010, 07:01 AM
Minister of Information

define look total cool please

Tags
affixes, loot