Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Grim Misadventure #13: All the Dark Corners

Looks like we are starting off 2013 right, with the 13th Grim Misadventure (I swear this was by accident)! Things here are chugging along on the road to alpha. Bugs are getting squashed, icons are getting iconed, and final alpha levels are being finished up. That last bit is what we would like to share with you today. Gray-boxed alpha areas that had previously just been playable are now visually up to standard. Gazer is pleased.

Pleased Gazer (not to be confused with angry/depressed Gazer)

The following is a compilation of various underground side areas you will have a chance of finding on your adventures throughout Cairn.

Disclaimer: the following images May reflect the final product and should be viewed in moderation. Excessive use of images may result in blindness, dehydration, and expensive power bills.

Stay tuned for more updates as we get tantalizingly near alpha! The next misadventure is coming at you on 01/20/13! Do not let Evil Gazer get the best of you in the meantime.

Not the same Gazer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Env 1.jpg (382.6 KB, 10222 views)
File Type: jpg Env 2.jpg (403.4 KB, 9685 views)
File Type: jpg Env 3.jpg (482.4 KB, 10062 views)
File Type: jpg Env 4.jpg (452.2 KB, 9533 views)
File Type: jpg Gazer 1.jpg (232.5 KB, 12087 views)
File Type: jpg Gazer 2.jpg (350.9 KB, 9465 views)

Last edited by Zantai; 01-15-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 AM
Champion

Arrow

Pics look great! Looking forward to alpha and disguised gazer!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
That last bit is what we would like to share with you today.
Does that mean this will be the LAST Grim Misadventures, and you finally announce alpha date in the near future!?

Btw, great update, these pictures (they look really eerie ) should hold me up for two weeks when the next update comes up.

Waiting for: nothing at the moment
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 AM
Supporter

Woot! Thanks for the update Zantai! Looking really cool. However, that green tinge is a little too heavy I feel, really reminds me of TL2, which is not good in terms of atmosphere. Maybe the screenshot just doesn't do it justice and we have to see it in motion to realise how good it really looks. So how about a video... eh... come on.... you know you want to...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 AM
Initiate

i cant wait! woot for the mustache grazer!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 AM
Herald

Wow! The second image (hanging corpses) is by far the creepiest, I can only imagine that the atmosphere will only be better in-game, can't wait to find it in the alpha. I wonder when that is anyway? Have you by any chance considered May? Ha! I caught you out Zantai! This will make front page of the next Grim Misadventures:

As you have spelt May with a capital, Zantai, I can only assume you were trying to drop a hint as to the release of the Alpha/Beta, in the month of May. I see what you did there
Cheers for the update,
Younghappy

Salute of the Fallen HC Player
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillMeTender View Post
Yet there is beauty in death! Ave, Grim Dawn, morituri te salutant!

Last edited by Younghappy; 01-07-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghappy View Post
As you have spelt May with a capital, Zantai, I can only assume you were trying to drop a hint as to the release of the Alpha/Beta, in the month of May. I see what you did there
Cheers for the update,
Younghappy
Me think that would be beta.

Waiting for: nothing at the moment
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8  
Old 01-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblaze1 View Post
Woot! Thanks for the update Zantai! Looking really cool. However, that green tinge is a little too heavy I feel, really reminds me of TL2, which is not good in terms of atmosphere.
The distance fog is more pronounced in some of the screenshots as the angle shows a greater distance than you'd see in-game. I think also though that the more colorful fog is justified in this area as it is meant to represent Aetherial energy in the air - it isn't just random atmospheric fog.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Campaigner

Wow, looking great! Amazing how a bit of furniture can make things look "lived in". Puts me in the mood for smashing things!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Speaker

Can't wait to blast hordes of enemies as I travel through these places!

I wonder just how open the world is going to be though.

One of the selling points of this game to me was the open-world ARPG in which it was touted that you could travel anywhere - even if that meant running into really powerful enemies way above your level and getting stomped. But, from what I saw of the world map in State of the Game Address 2, it was looking pretty linear on your way to that town that has the laboratory beneath it. I've also heard that you need to repair bridges and such until you can head over to different regions which has me a bit worried.

I take it that Grim Dawn isn't gonna be as open world as Sacred 2 but I do hope its not just broken up into 1 long run -> get to the end and kill boss -> some item you get from boss opens up another long run -> get to end, boss, etc. I DO want to be able to head into harder areas or maybe even skip 1 in favor of another that are around the same level.

Tags
grim misadventure, screenshots