Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 05-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Champion

Default [1.009] Melee Druid - Lightning God Rises (u) (c) (g3) (vid)

Introduction

(you can skip this part )

I have a huge history with Diablo franchise. Since my uncle showed this game to me on his old Pentium Pro back in 1996 and since me and my classmate spent countless hours grinding it out in Diablo co-op on his old Playstation, I was always among the first players who played new iterations of the game at good old Battle.net.

We all know how Diablo 3 turned out to be. It's a disappointment for all hardcore ARPG fans, a game that turned out to be just okay. After I stopped playing it I always had that ARPG itch. Well, guess what game fully satisfied it and then some more.

Grim Dawn is as close to being perfect ARPG as Diablo 2: LoD ever came to. It's a good example of how things can be done right with relatively small team of developers without massive budget. It is a great game that got me hooked.

When I was choosing my first class (yes, it's my first character), I happen to choose Druid combination. Partly because I wanted to play that melee guy with a huge 2hander, partly because I just stumbled on a guide I liked (shout out to Thunderaja's old guide).

However, when I was near the end game, I realised, that my class is innately one of the weaker classes in the game and that another Shaman combos (elementalist or warder) can do what I do but more efficiently. Well, I wasn't about to give up on my Druid, so I reworked some of the skills and gear and made it into a Lighting God, beastly character that facerolls everything in Ultimate, can clear about half of the Crucible Gladiator and is extremely fun to play.

Build Concept

Versatility

It is a melee build. But it has all the power to fight as a ranged caster when things get hairy. In fact, while you are fighting bosses/heroes in melee range, your spells do the swift work of any spawns/mobs giving you necessary procs that are sometimes hard to get of some tougher bosses/heroes. We have a circuit breaker in form of Mirror of Erecreotes for desperate moments. We synergize greatly with a lot of different builds in multiplayer.

Crowd control and massive debuffs

We have 4 sources of Resists Reduction (Hand of Ultos/Arcane Mines/Raging Tempest/Elemental Storm). Wind Devil apply slow/impaired aim. Primal Strike applies massive stun. We have Nulification - an excellent skill that nullifies all harmful auras that bosses have as well as reduces their damage. We have Mirror of Erecreotes on a short cooldown. With this build, you feel like you are in a total control of the battlefield.

Massive AoE and procs devastation

It's what really makes it so fun to play. Once our lighting machine is on, there is always stuff happening on screen. While you are fighting some big mean boss, you are spamming vines/wind devils that proc arcane mines/reckless tempest/Ultos Wrath. Whole screen gets covered with lighting. Everything melts. Most mobs can't even reach us, they die at the side of our screen.

The Build

Version 1.0.6.1 updates

Since I could never craft a perfect pair of stoneplates I decided to go for fully legendary setup. And surpisingly it worked really well. Build can now comfortably farm 150-170 with mininmal kiting (Grava'Thul is still an annoying bitch tho). Huge life pool, additional proc from Stormtitans for more damage reduction and juicy Beasts damage from Direwolf Crest make this build powerful and reliable.

Version 1.0.6.1 updates

- Tapped into the power of the Dying God. With maxed out CDR rolls we have constant 10% Total Speed boost and 40% of Critical Damage goodness. Coupled with constant ~3500 OA (~3700 with the proc of Badge of Mastery) we have ~156% Critical Damage and huge OA (not counting crit damage modifiers to Savagery and Primal Strike) our Lightning God is an embodiment of carnage. Unfortunately our beloved Reckless Tempest had to go.
- Moved around some skill points. Found damage absorption from 12/12 Maiven rather underwhelming. Reduced Maiven Sphere to 3/12 and soft-capped Wendigo Totem. I found latter much more effective in current Crucible meta. Added Upheaval as 1 pointer (still not sure if it adds anything)
- Moved around gear components for more racial damage.

Overall new iteration of the build is extremely competitive. I wish I had skills and patience to record a proper 150-170 run. Well, one day maybe.

Version 1.0.6.0. Ashes of Malmouth updates

- Changed some skills and augments/devotions
- Build is now Crucible Gladiator 150-170 viable (around 12 minute clear time with some amount of skill)
- Added a new video of Crucible 150-170 clear

Version 1.0.4.0. Ashes of Malmouth updates

- Updated GrimTools link
- Optimized skill setup and celestial procs bindings

Version 1.0.2.1 Ashes of Malmouth updates
- Updated Grim Tools link
- Added a new video of Crucible Gladiator wave 145-150

Quite a bit has changed in Ashes of Malmouth. Shaman mastery received a massive buff, but whole melee meta got a massive overhaul as well.

This build defeats all the regular bosses of AoM with ease (finished AoM on ultimate in old Ultos set), facetanks Alexander (Vanguard nemesis), conquers Crucible Gladiator (although it's an average build for crucible). It can defeat both Kupacabra and Grava'Thul, it does require a lot of kiting, knowledge of new nemesis moves and a lot of focus.

New level cap granted us with new skill points so the build that I have envisioned when I first geared him in full Ultos back in vanilla Grim Dawn is complete. Mythical Ultos seems to cater to my vision somehow, buffing both Savagery and Primal Strike. One thing that is really hard to get is double-rare Green Boots. This build would benefit immensly from something like Thunderstorm Stoneplate Greaves of Kings, but alas, I still couldn't craft such item.
Version 1.0.1.0 updates:

- Changed some devotions' assigned skills
- Updated Grim Tools link
- Added a new video of Crucible Gladiator wave 120-130

Overall build got only stronger with the new update. Despite Reckless Tempest proc from Wind Devils being nerfed (we had it coming) we gained a considerable increase in damage (Primal Strike is now a huge nuke on a 2.4 seconds cooldown). And you can have Reckless Tempest almost 24/7 by assigning it to Grasping Vines. It's still not exactly solo Gladiator viable, I made it to wave 140 this time, but Iron Maiden and (surprisingly) Herald of Flame got me (Herald of Flame seems to have some kind of lingering debuff attack or something that multiplies with time and gets you across the map, so you can't really run away from him).

>>>>GRIMTOOLS <<<<

Besides Ultos set our gear options are flexible. It usually depends on the items we have available. I suggest taking the best piece (beside Ultos set) you have (like Solael-Sect pants or some rare rings) or don't have and building around it, capping resists and finding necessary bonuses all across your gear.

Head/Weapon/Amulet/Shoulders/Chest - Mythical Ultos Set. This is non-negotiable. We need 5 pieces for the Ultos Wrath Proc. Look for the maximum Physical Resist on Helmet and Shoulder, maximum cdr and Physical to Lighting Conversion on Amulet and Weapon (also more attack speed on weapon is always nice). It's not easy to get, but thru some grind and legitimate trade on this forum, I got everything I needed (few times with some items).

Legs (pants): Best option: Mythical Chausses of Barbaros. With the addition of all new components we can now patch all resists without using hard to get greens. And those pants are better than any green option, I would argue that it's the best pants for any kind of melee character.
Second Best option: Kupacabra pants with right affixes. Good luck finding that.

Waist: Best option: Avenger's Girdle. There is no second option here. Belt is too massive for this build.

Feet (boots) Mythical Stormtitans. Just get them.
Hands (gloves)[/I]: Best option: The Crimson Claws. The seem to be more fit for Warders, but we will take it. Skill boosts and stats are just too good. Attack speed maximum roll is a downer tho.

Rings: I yielded. There were no really great Lightning rings in the expansion. So I started using Judicator's Seals. Great rings, would be hard to beat them. However their downside is that they don't help when you are fighting big Nemesis one on one.
Relic: Eye of The Storm. No defensive stats but massive damage/energy/+skills boost. Can't go around it.
Medal: Best option: Mythical Direwolf Crest It's just fits our build perfectly with Savagery skill bonus, massive OA and juicy Beasts racial damage bonus. As well as some vital resists.

Skills and Devotions

A lot of our skill choices depend on +skills we are going to have on our gear. Grimtools link above is self-explanatory, I will give a general breakdown of our most important and less important skills:

Shaman mastery:

Savagery with Might of the Bear maxed out: our main melee damage dealer. Builds up charges that buff our Physical resist/OA/DA/Attack Speed/Lighting/Physical/Bleeding damage. Try to keep those charges up all the time. Max out Tenacity of the Boar. Put enough points in Storm Touched so that next point does not add Attack Speed. Bind Arcane Mines to it (from Widow Devotion) for huge single target damage boost.
Primal Strike: our nuke. Benefits from Savagery charges. Huge stun at maximum level. Put enough points in Torrent so it says 5 targets maximum. Put one point in Storm Surge.
Wind Devil. Both Wind Devil and Maelstrom deserve one point each. Raging Tempest is the reason we are using this skill. Put as much points there as you can (depends on how you distribute your other points based on your gear).
Modrogen's Pact. Put one point here and enough points into Oak Skin to cap out pierce resist. Cap Heart of the Wild at 10 points.
Stormcaller's pact Max it. Nothing to add here. Except moar skill points.
Wendigo Totem Max it. Put one point in Blood Pact for some ADTH. You can put a devotion on it but be wary of its fixed and slow attack (pulse) speed.
Put how many points you have left into Brute Force/Feral Hunger/Upheaval.
Arcanist Mastery:

Maiven's Spehere of Protection: Put 3 points here. Put few points in Conversion - for some Stun/Slow resistance and some Energy Absorption.
Iskandra's Elemental Exchange: 4 points. Softcap Elemental Balance however, it's a rare source of +Critical Damage.
Inner Focus: Softcap it. Self-explanatory
Mirror of Erecreotis: 10 points in Mirror should be enough. 12 is a safer option
Nullification: I put 3-4 points here. More points and cdr diminishing returns start to kick in. Great skill against all kinds of heroes/bosses.

Gameplay

LMB - Savagery
RMB - Primal Strike
1 - Wind Devil
2 - Wendigo Totem
3 - Mirror of Erecreotis
4 - Nullification
5 - Bloodthirster

It's an exciting build to play, but it requires some coordinated button mashing. So players who prefer easier left/right mouse-clicking builds with ocasional 1-2-3 might not enjoy it. For anyone else who like to add some skill element to their ARPG characters, it's a blast.

Our battle routine looks like this: As soon as we see enemy in the corner of our screen, we pop a Wind Devil and cast Vines on that enemy (spell has insanely long casting range). We close the distance, put Wendigo Totem if necessary, hit them with couple of Savagery hits, then nuke them with Primal Strike. Our goal is to always keep maximum Savagery charges up, while popping Vines/Wind Devils and timing our Primal Strike nukes.
Against heroes/bosses/nemesis: we are also using Oleron's Might and Nulification. You should time your Nullification with some bosses: like elecrified/shielded/reflective kind of heroes require an immediate Nullificatation, with Bosses like Cronley you should wait before they cast their Maiven.

Leveling and attribute points distribution

You can level your Druid however you deem necessary. Look up leveling guides in Build Compendum.

EDIT: Thanks to Kralw here are some simple leveling tips:

Quote:
- Start as Shaman Max Devouring Swarm and get to level 20/25. At this point it start to get slower switch to a two handed build (Falcon Swoop and Kraken in Devotion) if you don't have any good weapon there is a great Maul with Fire Damage in Homestead Reputation (level 30 or 35 not sure) that should get you to level 50. At that point move towards that end build.

- Start as Arcanist Max out OFF and use Fireblast / Greater Fireblast (Skill from Component) it should bring you up to the end of normal and probly even part of Elite. At that point you could re-spec towards what this build should look like.
Put all points Physique, maybe 3-10 points into Cunning. You are going to get a lot of Spirit from both of your masteries.

The Showdown

We all the proper gear with have a pretty tanky build with great sustain that can facetank anything in Vanilla and AoM besides Mad Queen, Kupacabra and Grava'Thul. We have up to 26% physical resist with Savagery, 9-11% ADCtH, 98% armor absorption, reflective enemies don't bother us, Wendigo Totem gives us around ~1200 hp per pulse. Add to that massive lighting damage and huge AoE with very decent CC, and you have yourself a Lightning God.

Stats

With Savagery buff on and Judicator's Seals proc on (practically 100% uptime in battle, unless fighting a long fight with the boss with no trash mobs around):

Damage per hit

Physical resist and crowd control resists:

Videos:

1.0.7 150-170 test run (8:34, probably ~7:40 on a good PC)

3x 150-170 Crucible Gladiator run with 3 blessings + Vanguard Banner by MercyMaker (7:30 per run) New!!!

Reaper of the Lost New!!!

Crucible Gladiator 150-170 9:20 run (4 blessings no banners) New!!!

Chopping some wood: annihilation of Ancient Grove OLD

Grava'Thul, Master of Tedious Nullification OLD

Kubacabra OLD

Waves 145-150 Crucible Gladiator with just one Tribute and couple of potions/no shrines OLD

Example of how AoE works on this build (second half of the video is just a game on pause, sorry) OLD

Easy Cronley Kill OLD

Fabius

Mad Queen
OLD

The Sentinel - things got little hairy because I pressed wrong buttons quite a few times, usually it's pretty smooth. OLD

Flames of Valbury Massacre OLD

Von Aldritch and Friends (with a suprise cameo) OLD

Version 1.0.1.0 Gladiator solo wave 120-130, no shrines OLD

Conclusion

Build is extremely powerful and fun to play. All skills and gear you use synergize well with each other. This build can be improven tonns in upcoming expansion with all the extra skill points and new devotions it can use.

One of the shortcomings of this build is that it's PC hungry since we cover all screen with lightings. Might be a problem in multiplayer when you are playing with friends with slower PCs (shouldn't be in 2017 though). Another shortcoming is that build struggles in Gladiator as all 2-handed builds do. Sure, I can clear up to wave 100 with it, but without very specific upgrades it's very hard to progress against some bosses/nemesis combinations.

Shout-outs

Shout-out to user Mirenheart and his old [1.0.0.7] Thundaja the Storm Bringer guide that I used to level my Druid.

Shout-out to Krawl and Seamann for making very favourable trades with me and explaining some of the gear value and game mechanics to me. As well as for some fun multiplayer Crucible/Vanilla games together.

Last edited by mad_lee; 12-13-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Champion

<reserved for future use>
Old 05-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Acolyte

Heh. That was awesome. Lightning builds are so damn cool. Nicely done!
Old 05-26-2017, 07:49 AM
Campaigner

Ah, seeing this shiny name, I was hoping for something extraordinary ... and i saw a very common full Ultos build. Really disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
Кроме того, бочки с лопатой - это пони на самом деле
Old 05-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safarel View Post
Ah, seeing this shiny name, I was hoping for something extraordinary ... and i saw a very common full Ultos build. Really disappointed.
Name is as shiny as what is going on on the screen when you are playing this build. Sorry you got disappointed. It's just last melee Druid build in build compendum is almost 1 year old and is really suboptimal and got some questionable skills/gear choices. Here you have a fully optimized build that ressurects a Druid class as a potent melee two-hander. Feel free to leave any comments about the build itself!

Last edited by mad_lee; 05-26-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safarel View Post
Yeah, because "melee" and "lightning" on a class involving Shaman wasn't a dead giveaway already.
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=206
Old 05-28-2017, 02:54 PM
Advocate

You should probly also add a part about leveling. A lot of people are asking those kind of question *How should I level my char before going toward that build or what is the fastest way to leveling that char*.
You have in your hand two of the best class for leveling so adding that kind of tips to your guide would make it more complete

- Start as Shaman Max Devouring Swarm and get to level 20/25. At this point it start to get slower switch to a two handed build (Falcon Swoop and Kraken in Devotion) if you don't have any good weapon there is a great Maul with Fire Damage in Homestead Reputation (level 30 or 35 not sure) that should get you to level 50. At that point move towards that end build.

- Start as Arcanist Max out OFF and use Fireblast / Greater Fireblast (Skill from Component) it should bring you up to the end of normal and probly even part of Elite. At that point you could re-spec towards what this build should look like.

Also I'm no expert to Lightning but you could name a couple of the weapon that would make the road easier (Alvarick Rebuke come to mind if I'm not mistaken the Emp version is level 50 just around the point were the Homestead Maul will start to lose some of its value)
Old 05-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Counsel

Nice build

I still think that Elementalist (or even Warder/Conjurer) is better but at least it shows that Druids are viable !
Old 06-02-2017, 05:45 AM
Champion

Added two new videos:

Flames of Valbury Massacre

Von Aldritch and Friends (with a suprise cameo)

Enjoy
Old 06-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Counsel

I have a near-per badge of mastery + 5 Primal Strike 27% dmg 7% armor increase
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...071975606/home

Tags
druid, lightning, savagery