Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Developer Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should we expand auto-pickup to potions?
Hell yes! My gimpy fingers can't click as well as they used to! 525 52.55%
No, that seems like a bit too much automation and would diminish the reward of it. 390 39.04%
Can't say I really care. 84 8.41%
Voters: 999. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21  
Old 04-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel View Post
Can we by this assume that potions won't be as readily available through unlimited supply in shops as in TQ?
I've considered making the supply limited or possibly even not having them for sale. I've also thought about allowing players to create potions from ingredient drops. In that case there would be a decision to make potions vs. using the ingredients to make other useful things like item upgrades. If they remain on merchants, they will be quite expensive.

I'm not depending on rarity to limit people's potion use though. That will primarily come in the form of a long cool-down.

While I'm not hot on the healing-orb system as a replacement for health potions, I do like the way health potions are balanced in WoW. I do actually like the idea of random instant-use drops like healing orbs and shrine-like buffs, just not as the sole means of healing. Not without knowing I had a lot of time to test it...
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
If you look at the enemy team settings in the database you can see that no monsters in TQ are configured to be the enemies of any other monster race.

This won't be the case in GD where you may actually come across different monster races fighting one another.
AWESOME. This has no direct effect on the gameplay, but it's just awesome sounding.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Initiate

Mmmm, having potions overly limited will make solo playing most classes harder - nature will suddenly be very popular - or making people sit idly while they wait for HP/MP to regenerate, which will be boring as anything. Or town trips.

If you are keen on having pots limited could we have some sort of "Rest" thing like NWN (full HP/MP regen over a short time providing no enemies within a reasonable radius and no combat in the last 15 seconds or so), or at least boosted regen when idle?

Having some other sort of not pot based healing method doesn't really change much, just makes things more complicated.

How about pots for sale, just always at least a level below what the drops are (lesser pots for sale when you are using/needing normals)? Low level pots are a nuisance at best in fights, as they hit the CD but don't give enough HP to keep you alive, but still can be used in between. Also, the price can be adjusted to make them less of an option.

*edit* Oh, how about the soul shrine/pool respawn points heal you when you stand next to them? If they are scattered as frequently as they are now that would be ok. Far enough apart to make heal trips annoying, but not so far as it makes glass cannon classes annoying to play. Also, it would make some sort of sense when you think about what they do - restore you from 0hp to full when you die...

Last edited by Agouti; 04-02-2010 at 07:24 AM.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #24  
Old 04-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agouti View Post
Mmmm, having potions overly limited will make solo playing most classes harder - nature will suddenly be very popular - or making people sit idly while they wait for HP/MP to regenerate, which will be boring as anything. Or town trips.

If you are keen on having pots limited could we have some sort of "Rest" thing like NWN (full HP/MP regen over a short time providing no enemies within a reasonable radius and no combat in the last 15 seconds or so), or at least boosted regen when idle?
Right now you go into fast-regen if you haven't been damaged in 3 seconds. It takes about 5-6 seconds to go from 1 to 100% health.

It is essentially just the same as being able to chug potions without a timer except that you can't do it while you're being hit (which I think makes the combat a little more interesting than standing still in the middle of a group of enemies pounding potions) and you don't have to chug an actual potion.

I think the greatest benefit is that it eliminates all those times between groups of enemies where you have to down a potion. If you survive an encounter you just start running to the next one and by the time you get there, you're usually back to full health.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Advocate

auto pick up life-globe

Gold Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGP4LT_cYo&hd=1
Silver Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhioIlUz0Q
Old 04-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Emissary

Potions management is very crucial to overall feels in ARPG.

- Fast regen after without damages for 3 seconds.
- Fast regen 1%-100% in 5 or 6 seconds.
- Crafting potions from ingredients, which player have to make decision to use ingredients for potions or for crafting other items.
- Item will not available at merchant. If it is (available), it will be very limited and expensive. No expensive price could actually make potion expensive if money are redundant but it will works if potions is limited. Btw, lets not make expensive 'ridiculous'.
- Voted for auto-pickup especially if it is stackable in large bunch (Better have 99 than 50) and potions is scarce.
- Not sure if I'm agree with single potion type. I think it remove the magic sense of getting better potion (larger potion).
- Again, if there are variety of potion type, auto-pickup should only pick-up if there is at least one in the inventory. Meaning that, for the first potion, you have to pick it up. The following will be automated.
- Hotkey (or disable/enable option) for auto-pickup would satisfies everyone.

After all, this mechanic will have flaw somewhere but sometimes system flaws are made intentionally. If everything going so smoothly, no intense moment or challange will be there.

Anyways, undesired flaws will be recognize later in alpha and beta stages so it can be tuned up and improved. There is always patch after release too. But of course, release should be out in great condition.

Last edited by alexei; 04-02-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Herald

Quote:
To me it seems like the D3 system offers even less in the way of interesting decision-making. In that system, as I understand it, there isn't even an element of resource management. Healing orbs drop randomly and you have to use them on the spot or you loose them. There is no way to store them for later and make a strategic decision on when to use them.
In Diablo 3 Health potions still exist, they haven't gone away. They simply have a long cool-down on them. They are like the "Oh crap, no orbs!" type of item.

Also, health orbs can be saved, they don't disappear right away, you're allowed to save them for the current "mini-area" you're in, and they only disappear when you go roughly 2 screens away. So the player isn't constantly back-tracking to try and get HP.

Also, a lot of skills in Diablo 3 have been developed to take advantage of having an over-flow effect of health (if you use a health orb with 100% HP) then you get a buff benefit with certain skills. Or simply skills that buff the player when they use a health orb.

Health orbs regenerate the HP of the player and his allies.

I think this is just Blizzard's solution to, rather then, potion chugging, leeching life, or regenerating it fast (which can cause a player low on health to run away) simply rewarding the player for killing things, and telling them that, being damaged is bad. So, Blizzard is giveing their players good defensive skills, then they'll be able to avoid a lot of damage. You need good defensive skills if you can't guarantee the player will always have health recovery.

But health potions are still in D3, they haven't been removed, and even buff potions now exist.

I just wanted to clarify that for you Medierra.

Also, anything to reduce potion chugging (of all kinds) and increase strategic decisions, I'm all for.

I like the idea of long cool-downs on potions (even mana potions). I like the idea of not having potions for sale, for sure, potions should be cool to find, not a spammy unlimited item.

Last edited by Scryer; 04-02-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Right now you go into fast-regen if you haven't been damaged in 3 seconds. It takes about 5-6 seconds to go from 1 to 100% health.
This sounds a little fast, considering situations where you simply dodge a bigger nuke used by the boss you will almost trigger this, possibly making the player get a "oh might as well" feeling whenever he had to do so, not to mention brittle ranged classes that normally easily go for longer periods of time without taking damage, especially when fighting slow/ranged bosses.

Have you considered making the regen only activate when there are no monsters chasing you or just lenghtening the times when there are?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Herald

I think it would be cool if health potions had their own item slot, so you couldn't stack beyond say 99 potions. It would also save the player an item slot, and probably be easier to handle.

If health potions only drop from enemies, and they always have a low chance to drop, it would make it a pretty exciting event to see them drop.

So, even if you can stack health potions to 99, it would still be pretty cool to see them drop if they were rare. Which they should be rare, even off of unique enemies, etc. This would have the benefit of saving the player from using up item slots for potion stacks, and it would make health potions awesome to see.

Also - it would, somewhat, increase health management if you couldn't have unlimited potions. Even with a long (say 30 second to minute) cool-down, limiting potions a little more wouldn't hurt much, who's going to use 99 health potions in 99 minutes, or even 50 minutes, without finding more potions?

Last edited by Scryer; 04-02-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Acolyte

As far as the auto pickup for potions is concerned, it really doesn't matter to me, in all honesty. I'm good with what ever y'all decide to do.

Tags
energy, health, loot, potions