Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 AM
Crate Employee

Default Greetings from Allminoxy!

Hello Grim Dawn community!

My name is Ben Soderstrom (Allminoxy) and I'm the newest recruit to join the ranks of the Crate army! I've actually been around for a couple of weeks, but I've been lurking in the shadows, waiting for the 'right' moment to introduce myself. Officially, I've joined the team as an artist, but you can think of me as a "make stuff look good" guy, or a "make stuff gross and disgusting" guy (depending on your tastes).

Like Jalex and Zantai, I am yet another survivor of the 38 Studios Holocaust (I know, we're a dime-a-dozen these days) After losing my job, I did what is only natural for anyone in that situation: play lots of video games and drink. Diablo 3 had just come out and I swore that even my livelihood imploding would not ruin the game for me. And then something incredible happened - the game just up and ruined itself! At first I didn't really understand it and I kept on playing for a while, but to no avail. Around the time I was getting really pissed off at D3, a little angel disguised as Jalex floated down and told me that Crate was looking to hire an artist. Being an artist and a lover of ARPG's I thought to myself "wow, I rather enjoy spinach!" Shortly thereafter, I spoke with Arthur which lead to him offering me a job at Crate. Well, there may have been a few other things in there somewhere, but that's the gist of it!

Anyway, back in my 38 Studios days, I worked on the ill-fated Copernicus as an Environment artist. I made props, textures, buildings and statues, but my real passion was secretly in character design. Fortunately for me, Arthur was looking for someone who had some arcane lore in the school of characters as well as environments. At Crate, I will be making creatures, characters, items, props and basically anything else that needs getting done! Even though I loved my time at 38 Studios, the company was so big that it was hard to really connect with the team and the project completely. Crate, on the other hand has a small and personable "do it yourself" culture that is much closer to home for me. Additionally, I'm super excited to be working in a genre I love in a setting I love.

Before I go, I want to thank you all for your support in Grim Dawn. In addition to funding the game, you have also made it possible for me to get a job here, which I find to be rather awesome. So thank you, I cannot wait to help bring you the release and make this game as awesome as possible!

Finally, I would like to show you some of the stuff I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. I'll try to post more stuff in the future when I get the chance. Therefore, without further ado, here's a giant spider and a carnivorous larva-worm thingy!

Until next time!

-Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spider_comp_01.jpg (61.6 KB, 6000 views)
File Type: jpg worm_giant_comp_01.jpg (77.3 KB, 7574 views)
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 AM
Speaker

Welcome, Sir!

Great models. I really don't like spiders, so could we just make them more friendly looking? Maybe a top hat or spiders that carry Reese's buttercups?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Acolyte

Wow... these creatures look terrible, but in a good way! Nice work, Alexmonkey!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Supporter

Woah, nice Spider! There has to be some spiders lurking in the dungeons of Cairn, their webs ready to trap would-be treasure seekers... awesome!

Great to have an artist on the Crate team Allminoxy, welcome indeed!! Can't wait to see the items your imagination creates!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Speaker

Welcome Allminoxy! I hope you enjoy working for Arthur and Crate! After seeing your two critters there, I am really looking forward to what else you've got up your sleeve! Can I ask how big those spiders are gonna be? Are we talking the size of Great Danes/small goats or more the size of cattle?
Hmm, as for the larva things they look like they'll be squishy! It also makes me think that they might turn into something...bigger? They certainly do look like they'll both be fun to fight
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Initiate

Welcome aboard, Ben!

Nice work on the monsters, love the spiders espcially! Looking forward for more pics and updates on the baddies of Cairn from you in the future!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Initiate

Welcome Allminoxy! ^^

Oh why always with the spiders? ;n;
Aside from that, the models look great though! You seem to be a great addition to the team
Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Champion

Smile

Hello Allminoxy, welcome aboard!!!! We are VERY glad to have you here! =)

The creatures look, and I can't stress this enough, terrific!!! Can't wait for more updates from you!

Oh my god, you guys are going to make this game sooooooooooo awesome!!! =)

Thorough GD info here: www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71628&postcount=1

Best music label of all times: www.g7welcomingcommittee.com/

"Boxed Deluxe Edition" support
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9  
Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluswordgrl View Post
Can I ask how big those spiders are gonna be? Are we talking the size of Great Danes/small goats or more the size of cattle?
The spiders will be so big that the game world will actually be contained within them.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthedan View Post
Welcome, Sir!

Great models. I really don't like spiders, so could we just make them more friendly looking? Maybe a top hat or spiders that carry Reese's buttercups?
Dude, you'd need, like, eight monocles. Do you realize the kind of power you'd be giving them? We're talking a seriously unbalanced monocle gap.

Welcome to the team, Allminoxy. Sorry to hear about the 38 studios stuff. I'm originally from RI, you folks got a raw deal and i'm really glad to see you ended up finding work, especially at Crate. I hope you manage to get back on your feet because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil medierra View Post
The spiders will be so big that the game world will actually be contained within them.
Dude..every time I read something from you, it's awesome. The evil goatee avatar, though, pushes it over the top. I'm really glad we've got folks like you out there making games. Seriously.

Tags
crate, monsters