Old 05-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Supporter

Post [Mod] Make Retaliation great again!

What is this ?
Everyone that played a retaliation build knows how frustrating and stupid it is to have retaliation only work on meele hits.
Most ranged monsters dont do any damage to you anyway, you only miss out on EXP if you cant kill them specially before hitting higher levels.
This modification changes the way retaliation works to be more like reflect. Retaliation now works with all hits except bombs or ground effects/certain hero spells.
If you are concerned about balance, dont. There is no diffrence except you get rid of those annoying archers and sometimes healers.
The clearspeed of retaliation builds is already bad enough in addition.
Since you dont actually get access to damage calculation with the offical mod tools to modify/change them. There is no other way as to modify these function directly with memory editing or function hooks. Thats the reason why this mod needs to be installed this way.

Installation (Steam)
1. Go into your Grim Dawn folder (ex:"steamapps\common\Grim Dawn")
2. Create a backup of your "Game.dll" incase you want to uninstall at any given point.
3. Download this.
4. Extract it into your Grim Dawn folder and overrite the "Game.dll"
(Dont forget to rename the downloaded dll from "Game-MRGA-Version.dll" to "Game.dll")
This is for GOG version : 1.0.0.8 - 17.02.2017 UP TO DATE
Use the Installer if OUTDATED.

Installation (GOG)
1. Go into your Grim Dawn folder (ex:"Grim Dawn\")
2. Create a backup of your "Game.dll" incase you want to uninstall at any given point.
3. Download this.
4. Extract it into your Grim Dawn folder and overrite the "Game.dll"
(Dont forget to rename the downloaded dll from "Game-MRGA-GOG-Version.dll" to "Game.dll")
This is for GOG version : 1.0.0.6 H1 - 20.10.2016 OUTDATED
I actually dont own the GOG version so if there is a new update i am relying on people uploading the new Game.dll for me.
[Thanks towards @HPbotOrNothing for supplying it this time.]

Use the Installer if OUTDATED.

Installation (Installer)
1. Download this.
2. Unpack and start "GrimQOLInstaller.exe".
3. Select/enter your Grim Dawn path (Steam/GOG).
4. Select the features you are intrested in. (Select "Retaliation Fix" and nothing else to only install MRGA.)
5. Press Install

This type of installation has the advantage of being able to work even directly after a new game update.
If there is a new patch and the manual replacements of the Game.dll do not work anymore, try this.
Compatible with 1.0.0.8

Compatibility
Due to the nature of this modification it is compatible with EVERY mod created for Grim Dawn.
Also compatible with The Cruicible!
Fully usable in multiplayer. People you play with do not need the mod.
You can just continue playing vanilla with people online even with this mod installed.

Support
If you want to buy me a beer feel free to do so here : Donate

More
If you are intrested in more quality of life changes check out Grim QOL.

Last edited by Max1405; 02-17-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Supporter

reserved 10carrrr
Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 AM
Acolyte

It kinda sucks that I'd have to do this every time I open Grim Dawn(yeah, I'm a lazy piece of shit, I know), but props to you for doing this!

When I used the "RemoteDll32.exe", it just disappears without doing anything

Last edited by Kadrek; 05-25-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadrek View Post
It kinda sucks that I'd have to do this every time I open Grim Dawn(yeah, I'm a lazy piece of shit, I know), but props to you for doing this!

When I used the "RemoteDll32.exe", it just disappears without doing anything
Indeed it sucks to do it this way, i might have a few idears on how to improve the loading of dlls and mods in the future. We will see if am going to invest some more time and work into those.

RemoteDLL32.exe is the injector used for injecting the DLL. Please elaborate the exact process how you use the tool in case you want me to fix it
Its also not programmed by myself, i might do a custome one in the future. Here is the original link.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:33 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420WeedWizard View Post
Indeed it sucks to do it this way, i might have a few idears on how to improve the loading of dlls and mods in the future. We will see if am going to invest some more time and work into those.

RemoteDLL32.exe is the injector used for injecting the DLL. Please elaborate the exact process how you use the tool in case you want me to fix it
Its also not programmed by myself, i might do a custome one in the future. Here is the original link.
The process was simple; I unzip'd the files, and then I double left clicked on the .exe; an error popped up, and the .exe disappeared.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Supporter

Quote:
The process was simple; I unzip'd the files, and then I double left clicked on the .exe; an error popped up, and the .exe disappeared.

Quote:
an error popped up
I would need the text of that.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:05 AM
Supporter

I added a fourth way of using this modifcation.

Replacement of Game.dll in your game directory to make changes permanent without any third party application.
(Make a backup of your old Game.dll first.)
Old 05-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Acolyte

Smile

I've been playing with it for a bit, and it definitely feels a lot better.
I haven't been playing my retaliation character as much as I would like because it was really limited in the things it could reasonably farm, making it fairly boring. And just running past everything that doesn't immediately melees you isn't much fun either.
However I can also definitely see why the devs decided to split retaliation and reflect, they just seemed to have forgotten to balance reflect, as it feels like values could be doubled on everything that gives it and it would still be very under powered.

All in all, I like it and will keep running it for now, but it could do with some balancing.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Supporter

Updated for GD version 1.0.0.4
Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Acolyte

Question

Game.dll seems to have been changed with the hotfix, replacing the DLL again still seems to work.
Can I expect to run into some trouble at some point, or should it just work?

Tags
fix, monster, projectile, ranged, retaliation