Old 04-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Acolyte

Default Grim Dawn Ideas & Suggestions

Hey guys my name is Lex and I just have a few ideas and suggestions for the developers.

- Cut Scenes: I think one of the most important things TQ lacked was cut scenes. Cut scenes also catch the players attention to a greater extent and makes the side quests or main quests more exciting. This is also not too familiar with ARPG's but is a great addition the first time around in the game it would be awesome to have a few cut scenes here and there but there should be an option for the players who are just playing the game for the ARPG aspect of the game.

- Breakable Environment: I know the developers said they already added this but I was just wondering to what extent? will we be able to use it to our advantage, can enemies use them to their advantage. I think that if your just exploring the world of Grim Dawn and suddenly a wall collapsed and the cause is an enemy who pushed the wall. This will keep the player alert and focused making sure he or she always keeps his or her eyes out for other mischievous enemies trying to get the upper hand. Which in my opinion would be a lot of fun. But using it to your advantage or unlocking a new area is not the only way they can use this. The developers can add breakable objects that are used to get extra loot which I think TQ lacked. There are so many different things the developers can implement from this category into the game to make it even more enjoyable.

- Looting: I feel another aspect of TQ that was lacking was a variety of looting. In TQ if you all remember you either loot from an enemy, chest, bone pile, and a few others. I don't know about you guys but I would love for the developers to seriously think about adding a variety of loot-able objects. From breakable objects to objects that just require you to open something or search something. Another great addition would be keys or some sort of object used to open a chest or other loot-able object.

- Traps: Something which was implemented into TQ but could of bin improved was traps. I would love to see some just random traps that inflict small amounts of damage and maybe poison you or paralyze you making you a weak target for your enemies. Yes this is odd for a ARPG but hey what's wrong with trying something new?

- Blood: Just a small addition which would make the game more enjoyable to see the evils of the world feel the wrath of your player.

- Puzzles: Another addition which would create hours fun is brain busting puzzles. From meager to the advanced completing puzzles will award you with new areas, chests, and more. With this you'll need the addition of traps why? because if you fail to succeed and choose the incorrect pattern, choice, etc... there will be consequences. I know this is abnormal to a ARPG but its a nice break from constant killing and looting and should be considered perhaps a poll should be established to see what the community thinks.

- Better Tombs, Caves, Dungeons, etc...: The TQ caves, temples, tombs, and more were great but could be improved. Lets start with the layout most of the time in a tomb, cave, or other it would be one floor and on certain occasions 2 or 3 floors. I feel they should have multiple floors in each dungeon, cave, or whatever. They should have secret areas only reachable through breaking through a wall or something in that matter. They should implement crumbling ruins, rocks, and more for the player to avoid so pretty much like traps. I would love traps and puzzles but puzzles are probably too much of an RPG kind of feel but traps on the other hand if handled well can be a great addition to the game.

Hope you enjoyed reading the few ideas I have for this incredible game. Will update the thread with more ideas later. I have a few more ideas but I forget them... so once I remember I'll update the thread!

Last edited by Lex; 04-29-2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Added some new ideas
Old 04-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
- Cut Scenes: I think one of the most important things TQ lacked was cut scenes. Cut scenes also catch the players attention to a greater extent and makes the side quests or main quests more exciting.
won't happen, too expensive to do. Personally I hate them, all they do is get in the way. A good one (like Blizzard quality good, not TL2 quality), I am fine with seeing once, but if I cannot skip it the next time I'd rather there weren't one at all. The others I do not want to see ever....

There are a ton of places where money is better spent in a game to me.

Quote:
- Breakable Environment: I know the developers said they already added this but I was just wondering to what extent? will we be able to use it to our advantage, can enemies use them to their advantage. I think that if your just exploring the world of Grim Dawn and suddenly a wall collapsed and the cause is an enemy who pushed the wall. This will keep the player alert and focused making sure he or she always keeps his or her eyes out for other mischievous enemies trying to get the upper hand. Which in my opinion would be a lot of fun. But using it to your advantage or unlocking a new area is not the only way they can use this. The developers can add breakable objects that are used to get extra loot which I think TQ lacked. There are so many different things the developers can implement from this category into the game to make it even more enjoyable.
we'll see what they come up with I guess, D3 uses breakable environment too so maybe we get similar use of it

Quote:
- Looting: I feel another aspect of TQ that was lacking was a variety of looting. In TQ if you all remember you either loot from an enemy, chest, bone pile, and a few others. I don't know about you guys but I would love for the developers to seriously think about adding a variety of loot-able objects. From breakable objects to objects that just require you to open something or search something. Another great addition would be keys or some sort of object used to open a chest or other loot-able object.
don't really care, if there were only monster drops I do not mind either. To me the variety of the loot matters, not the variety of the storage

Quote:
- Traps: Something that was not implemented into TQ which I felt would of made the game more exciting was traps. This in my opinion would be a fantastic addition to Grim Dawn. This would keep the players on high alert for death traps that can instantly or nearly kill you. Which would get your adrenaline pumping, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one that doesn't love the feeling of being scared for their life because I'm either being cornered by enemies or running from traps.
doens't really fit an ARPG for me. I do not always want to be on the lookout for traps and proceed cautiously or possibly get insta-killed if I don't.

If they do little damage, I do not mind them, but I just ignore them. I did not like the bear traps in Skyrim (or was it the Witcher 2 ? probably both ). In real life, you would see them so plainly you never would step in one, but in Skyrim/Witcher I did frequently (but then, they do next to no damage, so I do not care either way)

Quote:
- Blood: Just a small addition which would make the game more enjoyable to see the evils of the world feel the wrath of your player.
just don't overdo it

Quote:
- Puzzles: Another addition which would create hours fun is brain busting puzzles. From meager to the advanced completing puzzles will award you with new areas, chests, and more. With this you'll need the addition of traps why? because if you fail to succeed and choose the incorrect pattern, choice, etc... there will be consequences.
no, if I want puzzles, I play something other than an ARPG, e.g. Legend of Grimrock or a classical RPG

Quote:
- Difficulty: One of the things I disliked about TQ was the "Normal, Epic, Legendary" option. First of all you could not loot any of the top gear until you got to "Epic".
Well, top gear only drops in legendary, makes sense too, why have 3 difficulty levels if you get everything in the first one ?

Quote:
Also this got very repetitive re-playing the same story, areas, and more just for better loot. In Grim Dawn I suggest just making the game longer then adding three difficulties in which you pretty much start over. I love the difficulty option but make it so you can choose which one you want and that will be the difficulty you play the game at but you will still be able to loot the top gear.
not gonna happen, the game will be shorter (due to limited resources) and there will be multiple difficulties again

If normal gives you top gear, you do not earn it

Quote:
Lets say a player finds a legendary item in the game playing at "Normal" which is the easiest difficulty. It would be unfair if he finds an extremely strong weapon with the stats the same as in "Epic or Legendary". So I suggest for each difficulty adjust the stats decrease or increase the power because naturally a harder game mod results in hard monsters which means you need stronger weapons. The weapons will be exactly the same just weaker or stronger depending on the difficulty. This will avoid the need to replay the game three times to get the gear that you desire.
isn't this kinda running counter to finding the top gear in normal already ? What makes something top gear ? The looks or the stats ? Apparently the looks.... to me it would be the stats

Quote:
Hope you enjoyed reading the few ideas I have for this incredible game. Will update the thread with more ideas later. I have a few more ideas but I forget them... so once I remember I'll update the thread!
Quite frankly, it looks like you are looking for another type of game, not an ARPG as you throw out a lot of ARPG staples and introduce stuff which does not belong into one instead. To me it looks like you want to turn it into a regular RPG.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
Quote:
- Breakable Environment: I know the developers said they already added this but I was just wondering to what extent? will we be able to use it to our advantage, can enemies use them to their advantage. [...]
we'll see what they come up with I guess, D3 uses breakable environment too so maybe we get similar use of it
from Caution: Falling Objects!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
Quote:
These destructible objects are not scripted and are a newly coded feature, completely different than the destructible object in TQ, which was just sort of a hack.

Object damage will probably be based on character level so that we can ensure it scales up throughout the game and never becomes severely over or under powered. I think it should kill or seriously injure smaller things like zombies but probably only put a small dent in more powerful enemies like the flesh hulks in the background.
Quote:
So far we have stone railings, arches, and doors. Statues, tombstones, furniture and wagons are next.
Quote:
Broken objects can be configured to have different behaviors with regards to pathing. Most, like the arch, are set to always be pathable. In this case, the rubble causes damage to enemies it strikes on the way down but once it is on the ground, you can walk through it and it fades away after a couple seconds.

An object like a door can be set to block pathing until broken. Another possibility is to set an object to block pathing once broken. We would never set an object to be destructible or block playing pathing if it prevented the player from getting somewhere we intended for them to go.
Quote:
The destructible objects are a different class of asset than items that you can pick up. So currently there is no way to turn a broken piece into something you can pick up. However, it would be possible to make destructible objects that can drop loot items.
more threads
- Looting: [...] I would love for the developers to seriously think about adding a variety of loot-able objects. [...]
don't really care, if there were only monster drops I do not mind either. To me the variety of the loot matters, not the variety of the storage
please see Sources, types and quality of loot
- Traps: Something that was not implemented into TQ which I felt would of made the game more exciting was traps.
doens't really fit an ARPG for me. I do not always want to be on the lookout for traps and proceed cautiously or possibly get insta-killed if I don't.
Whut?! There are tons of traps in TQ - in many of the sarcophagi.
- Puzzles: Another addition which would create hours fun is brain busting puzzles. [...]
no, if I want puzzles, I play something other than an ARPG, e.g. Legend of Grimrock or a classical RPG
from Would it be possible to work puzzles into the game
Quote:
Sorry to say but I really think puzzles are best left out of this sort of game. I think maybe they could be done in a way that would be fun if we had a bunch of time and resources to devote to their development but that just isn't the case right now.
Quote:
[...] As we move on to expansions and such I think we will be able to turn our attention to smaller add-on elements like puzzles.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
Whut?! There are tons of traps in TQ - in many of the sarcophagi.
lol, true, did not think of those. They also do not seem to be like the ones the OP was asking about (insta-killing you or close to it) but more like the bear traps I was talking of, i.e. a nuisance but no severe damage, which I am fine with (I try to avoid them anyway, but if I miss one, I don't get punished too severely)
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Minister of Information

Post Traps

I find the traps in TQ are more like a nuisance. Sometimes you can get into trouble, if you activate a trap on low health and do not notice the clicking sound, or if it hits you while more enemies are approaching you - especially if your resistance is weak.

But most of the time they just delay looting, because you have to move out of range and in the case of poison traps to wait for the effect to wear off. I'd like to see traps, which close off paths (in dungeons) or open a hidden door (or more) from which more enemies come after you.

If traps are deadly themselves they would be counter fun. If you are killed by a trap attached to a chest/sarcophagus/etc, which you want to loot, then it would defy the foundation of a loot focussed game. And people would be angry at the game - playing hardcore would become impossible.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
lol, true, did not think of those. They also do not seem to be like the ones the OP was asking about (insta-killing you or close to it) but more like the bear traps I was talking of, i.e. a nuisance but no severe damage, which I am fine with (I try to avoid them anyway, but if I miss one, I don't get punished too severely)
I take it you did not open some of the poison tombs after a grand battle and got killed while looking at that nice blue item...

I think traps would be a nice addition if there was something to gain through gameplay. Maybe a method to disarm them prior to activating gives you extra loot or free xp.

insta-death traps would only be cool if they were pretty obvious to spot, in which case it would just be silly since you could avoid it anyway. Otherwise I'd be pretty pissed if I get instakilled every time I entered a trapped room, especially with a hardcore character. There's really no way to make them work without having them become extremely annoying.

Last edited by ASYLUM101; 04-28-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 AM
Acolyte

Just updated the thread thanks for all the feedback guys! changed some ideas to fit the ARPG aspect of the game.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Minister of Information

Quote:
- Puzzles: Another addition which would create hours fun is brain busting puzzles. From meager to the advanced completing puzzles will award you with new areas, chests, and more. With this you'll need the addition of traps why? because if you fail to succeed and choose the incorrect pattern, choice, etc... there will be consequences. I know this is abnormal to a ARPG but its a nice break from constant killing and looting and should be considered perhaps a poll should be established to see what the community thinks.
Feel free to start a thread dedicated to puzzles and create a poll yourself.

I recommend to start threads with one topic only - makes it easier for the community to participate and to retrieve information from them in the future. AAAH - you say that puzzles require traps ... why would that be?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I recommend to start threads with one topic only - makes it easier for me to participate and to retrieve information from them in the future.
Corrected
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Minister of Information

Am I no part of the community?

Tags
destructible environments, difficulty, features, loot, traps