Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Early Access > Ideas and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Advocate

In an arpg wasd is NOT good.

Mouse point and click. Tha's the perfect recipe.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Herald

I wouldn't say that. Like the OP mentioned it works very well for Alien Shooter and lots of other games, but where I liked it the most was in Alien Swarm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfp97y4NccU

It's more about the game mechanics benefitting from it rather than the controls being better than your average top down wasd shooter (or dual stick shooters for consoles). Some classes are better at the front line, others need to hang back, and certain weapons even need you to be separated from the main group as they deal a lot of friendly fire area damage.

It all works extremely well with wasd controls and couldn't have been done with click-to-move, mostly because quite often you have to shoot while moving or simply be very particular about your placement while still being ready to shoot in a certain direction - like covering your friend wielding a door shut without hitting him.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Lord Advocate

Alien Shooter is a totally different kind of game...
Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Herald

Obviously. But it's still technically an arpg.

I'm not at all suggesting they should implement it in grimdawn like I mentioned on the previous page, but concluding that point'n'click is outright "perfect" for arpg's across the board is something I don't agree with.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Lord Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roros View Post
Obviously. But it's still technically an arpg.

I'm not at all suggesting they should implement it in grimdawn like I mentioned on the previous page, but concluding that point'n'click is outright "perfect" for arpg's across the board is something I don't agree with.
No, not at all...and definitely not a ARPG in the same manner as TQ (and what GD will probably be).

I loved alien shooter...but it's shooter, not an ARPG.

Oh, and I'm not trying to suggest an ARPG can't be done like that...it probably could...but it would have to be very different from TQ and GD. Everything would have to be redesigned...from the enemies AI, the mechanics of skills and their usage, ect ect ect.

I hope we see a game like that one day too, would be fun. Up until now we haven't had an isometric shooter arpg with proper skills, items, and class systems.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Alien shooter is not all too different; an isometric hack'n slash. It didn't have proper skills and very limited 'loot', but put those in and you're done.

And Space Siege held a lot of potential; the skill system was lame and they didn't have random loot, but that doesn't matter too much when it comes to movement control. That game would've worked perfectly as a diabloclone with WASD movement. It was actually what I expected when I first heard of the game.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Lord Advocate

It didn't have any skills, if I remember correctly. And that's one of the hurdles to over come to do a ARPG (like TQ) as a isometric shooter. How do you mix the shooting, wasd movement, with intuitive skill usage. It's easy to say "put them in and your done"...but I don't think it's quite that easy. I'm not ragging on Alien Shooter though, AS2 is awesomesauce.

And I gotta disagree with Space Siege...I thought just about everything was pretty shallow...even the shooting. I didn't think it did anything particularly well. The "rpg" stuff was done very poorly, and even the shooting felt stiff compared to games like Shadowgrounds.

Last edited by Renevent; 02-26-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, it did do everything poorly (except for the taunts, those were awesome). But with a few changes it could've been so much better. Just respawning monsters and random loot would've made a world of difference.

AS2 didn't have skills, but it had perks and attributes. That's basically what you need for an RPG. I don't see how adding skills would make it completely different though. It'd still be controlled in the same way.

Basically, WASD simply allows you to move your character while using skills, instead of doing one or the other.

Last edited by yerkyerk; 02-26-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 PM
Champion

Hey, believe it or not, Sacred 2 had WASD movement as well... I used it for getting around when I wanted a hand free...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaco View Post
It is not censorship, it is called Whack a mole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrock View Post
I guess it only makes sense for Ghosts'n Goblins to go online. I mean, online is the current realm of people running around in their underwear, and Ghosts'n Goblins pretty much invented running around in your underwear.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that's certainly interesting, as S2 is definetely in the same genre. Never played it past demo-mode though. So, how does WASD movement work out for Sacred 2?
Closed Thread

Tags
controls, targeting, wasd