Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Counsel

I am away from the internet for a mere 24 hours, and yet I see just how generous people are towards the project. I have to say that I'm very happy for Crate. Well done guys, I hope this is, at the very least, a big morale and confidence booster, and soon a financial and employment booster also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
I also have over 13 years experience working on traditional PC games now and for over 8 years I've been in a lead position where I've been privy to the budgeting side of project planning and development.
Also, duuuuude. You look a lot younger in the kickstarter video
Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
We've actually be quite cautious about the reward costs. I worry a bit that it may have resulted in people not pledging as much but, at the same time, I think other KS projects have over-promised and incurred too much of a fulfillment burden on what is supposed to be fund-raising. I mean, as much as we want to provide you guys with value, we want to make a game, not just posters and t-shirts. So, we kept the physical items higher up and we avoided stuff like t-shirts which cost more to make than I think most fans value them. I know a lot of people said they'd rather have a poster and a poster is like 1/2 the cost or less of a t-shirt, so win-win.
This is good to hear, the costs of physical items is one of the reason why I haven't pledged for anything other than purely digital rewards on any projects.
I am sure you have already seen what Wasteland 2 did for its $30 tier, but I am wondering if you have any more ideas for more digital rewards that won't cost you much but that fans might want? Not expecting you to write novellas! Was thinking more like video dev blogs.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
I think there is some value in spacing things out a bit so that we keep the excitement rolling instead of having it all hit at once.
There are quite a few projects that follow the linear line at the moment, seems people are taking a bit more time since they know that there are still enough days left to pledge. It could also be a factor that the KS started in the middle of the month where most do not have a good idea how much they will have left money wise. Where I live it is standard to get your salary at the end of the month, if this is the same in the US I expect another spike around that time.

Quote:
We've actually be quite cautious about the reward costs. I worry a bit that it may have resulted in people not pledging as much but, at the same time, I think other KS projects have over-promised and incurred too much of a fulfillment burden on what is supposed to be fund-raising.
I think you've done right here. Your average is currently around $42 which is right in the middle of the averages of the other high profile KS projects.

Quote:
So, I think we're in a good place. It will still be a challenge but I feel confident we have pretty good odds of pulling this off.
I'm pretty much 100% convinced that you will reach the goal. I had hoped for a $1m+ end goal (as that is what you guys deserve), but I think that could be a bit too much now. No idea where all the ARPG fans are at the moment, bit of a let-down from them in my opinion Still, $500K should be a realistic total funding goal.

Last edited by GhundiPI; 04-20-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhundiPI View Post
I'm pretty much 100% convinced that you will reach the goal. I had hoped for a $1m+ end goal (as that is what you guys deserve), but I think that could be a bit too much now. No idea where all the ARPG fans are at the moment, bit of a let-down from them in my opinion Still, $500K should be a realistic total funding goal.
Well they are playing diablo 3 beta, PoE beta (or whatever stage they are at atm) and waiting for Torchlight 2. I think this strong competition is what keeps people from pledging more. They might not be fully aware that TL2 and Diablo3 are coming this year while GD is coming at the end of the next year (give or take a few months^^).

"Buying things enhances my gaming experience."
Old 04-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Speaker

Question... probably needs to be answered by medierra or another one of the staff, but others might have some insight.

As I understand how Kickstarter works, If the funding goal of $280,000 is not reached, there will be no funding. However, anything that is raised above the goal is kept. So... why was the number set at $280,000? Why not have set it at, say, $150,000 and be able to hit the goal inside a week, guarantee some funding, and probably overshoot your goal like so many others have?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyanheart View Post
Question... probably needs to be answered by medierra or another one of the staff, but others might have some insight.

As I understand how Kickstarter works, If the funding goal of $280,000 is not reached, there will be no funding. However, anything that is raised above the goal is kept. So... why was the number set at $280,000? Why not have set it at, say, $150,000 and be able to hit the goal inside a week, guarantee some funding, and probably overshoot your goal like so many others have?
From what I have read, for most projects once the target has been met the donations drop off dramatically.

... wait is that awesome? ok, how about - its like you're drunk and a grizzly bear is punching you but... no wait... its like you're drunk, you punch a grizzly bear in the face but the bear is also drunk, so it just explodes into gibs."
Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Speaker

Just a question I've already read : why not closing this thread and have just the "official one" active about Kickstarter ?
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #228  
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyanheart View Post

We wanted to make sure that we'd have enough money to be able to deliver on our goals. $150k would help a lot but it wouldn't be enough to hire all the people we think we really need to ship by August 2013.

Closing this thread to focus discussion in the office KS thread above.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3346

Last edited by jiaco; 04-20-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: added link
Closed Thread

Tags
kickstarter