Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > What Else Are You Playing?

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Champion

Default Legend of Grimrock - Tips / Tricks / ETC

In short, if you guys want my opinion, shut up and get the game

Someone else could feel free and put up a list of spells.. or i can do it if req :P

Tips & Tricks

Get a mage with level 5 spellcraft! - he can cast light, sparing torches
Carry plenty of torches... you,ll be needing them for puzzles!
Rest often... No need to take a risk, have a nap
Carry as many rocks as possible.. or as many lightweight items, you,ll need to throw!
Dont be afraid to fall in pitfalls.. shit even go ahead and FALL.. loot is often hidden down there
Dont freak out when there is an earthquake... i know i did
Have your spells ready to fire.. before crossing a door, or at any point really, there is no reason to wait
Closeable door.. dont be afraid to use em vs your enemy, they are too dumb to open them
Know the layout.. it'll be useful when you backtrack and fire the enemy at same time.. dont get cornered
Need to level up? - level 6! unlimited centurions and uggarians
Need food? - Level 6 once again.. them snails will taste your sword!

Treasures

Level 2 - Golden Chalice - Alright... from what i remember it is in a room, near the end of level 2, room is fairly small and there is a keyhole.. well look for a loose rock and a wall will reveal the first treasure

Level 4 - Golden Figure - See Level 3 Secret 7 - Slime dungeon.. yep its inside kill all of them and bloody hell they're hard on hard diff :O yeah that makes sens

Level 6 - Crown of Kings - Found a scroll saying Westmost in the halls of fire? hmm yep fall down the westmost pit in that room

Level 6 - Ancient Apparatus - Gawd that room was a pain, in the fighter's challenge, look for a loose rock for the 4th treasure!

Level 8 - Golden Dragon - In a room near the resting place of the sword, there will be a hidden switch that reveals this beauty

Level 13 - Globe of Tetharion - in here there is a hallway that can only be accessed by pressing a switch, go down that hallway, and near the wooden box there will be a switch, backtrack to claim your prize

Level 11 - Goromog Miniature - Fleeing from level 12, follow the east hallways and look for a hidden switch

Level 1 secrets - 3 secrets

Secret 1 - Lays in the very first room, look for a loose rock behind you!

Secret 2 - Another loose rock, in the room where you meet the mushroom dudes for the first time

Secret 3 The Iron Door - There are two loose rock within the same 3x2 room that the the door is in

Level 2 - 6 secrets

Secret 1 - The very first torch holder that has none in it... place a lit torch and goodies appear!

Secret 2 - Once you reach a wooden door with two pressure plates, look for a loose rock in the corridor

Secret 3 - There is a loose rock in the room where you are not allowed weapons

Secret 4 -An easy one... whenver you actually meet herders on this level and there is a bunch of em, after teleporting behind the double lock prison door, there will be a lever next to a torch, flip it and a room will open in the room just around the corner

Secret 5 The Iron Door - Really that easy? stand on pressure plate and stare... it'll eventually open and reveal 4 undead legionaire

Secret 6 - Just before reaching the next prison gate, real close to it there is a loose rock

Level 3 - 8 secrets

Secret 1 - In the room where you first meet pitfalls on this level, on the center pillar there is a loose rock, then in the room that opens another, then throw a rock across and gather the lewt

Secret 2 - once you meet your 2nd spider, she's in a room with two trap doors, press the first loose rock at the entreance and then press the one over the 2nd pit, a door will open to your 2nd secret!

Secret 3 - Drop down in those very same pit as 2nd secret, place an item on the floor switch, activate the wall switch to make the portal inside the barred gate dissapear, then put items through those two gates (on the pressure plates) and one of the doors will open for goodies!

Secret 4 - Remember that room for secret 3? yeah re-enable the portal and go through it !

Secret 5 - total luck on this one for me, sacrifice the pants you are given along with the key to get the 5th secret

Secret 6 - The Iron Door - pretty much what rev said!, essentially you'll reach a room very similar to the very first room on floor, place two torches on the side walls, and a door will open, go activate the lever to open metal door, fall down the pit, go back to teleport puzzle and remove the rock from the plate and here you go, iron door prize!

Secret 7 - So alright once you open a iron prison gate, and there are multiple spiders outside, thats near the next secret, on your left will be your first 4x4 room with a pillar in the middle, as you move along the map, a door will open here, revealing two spiders (one drops a key for secret 8) and the other is normal... and that is the secret, that leads to another staircase of floor 4... why? dunno yet, ought to find out soon enough!

Secret 8 - Remember golden key off of secret 7? yep jsut before stairs next to the revive crystal.. lovely boots and mace!

Level 4 - 8 secrets

Secret 1 - See Level 3 Secret 7 - In the slime dungeon, on the right side wall from when you enter the room, there is a loose rock which opens path to a green gem.. feed it to the statue to reveal the first secret of the floor

Secret 2 - Times and Tides - After your first puzzle (throw an item in portal) use that portal to warp yourself

Secret 3 - Times and Tides - Once you reach platform which activate one after the other, on the right wall about the 4th platform has a loose rockk that leads to your next secret

Secret 4 - The Iron Door - Trails of thoughts - near the end, before grabbing scroll, there is an alcove with a loose rock, make haste to go on platforms and activate another loose rock to then drop down to the middle part. reward will be a key opening the iron door

Secret 5 - The catacombs - When you open a wall for one of the tiles that needs to be unpressed, and it is guarded by skeleton legionnaire, there is a loose rock which leads to your 5th secret

Secret 6 - The catacombs - Real close to your last secret, there is a loose rock in a path leading back to the portal, activate it and make haste to the branching path where the 4 legionaires are (a path with one floor switch that kept going into seemingly nothing, if you're fast enough, another secret!

Secret 7 - Trails and thoughts - Once you reach an area with 3 plates that open or close pitfalls, look at the wall behind you, a loose rock will reveal a secret!

Secret 8 - Beast Gardens & Menagerie - there is a loose rock in one of the cells you ought to trap a skeleton on

Level 5 - 7 secrets

Secret 1 - in the room that you open up with a loose rock, in the corridor there is another loose rock

Secret 2 - Once you'll have to flip 9 floor pitfalls, fall down and look for another loose rock

Secret 3 - open opening 2nd door that requires an iron key look on the left wall for a loose rock

Secret 4 - Just south of that dragon.. there is a room with a lever and two buttons.. i really dont know the sequence.. but it'll open the door for a secret :P

Secret 5 - Deserted Tunnels - when you're done with the tunnels, you flip a switch to go out.. but remember you had to time a rock throw to get in here? remember the irongate you just saw with loot inside?.. hmm maybe if you're fast enough!

Secret 6 - The Iron Door - This one was fun... you can find a riddle somewhere on this dungeon, track where the tile that the two dragons are standing on, sit on it for a little bit and when you move out of it you'll hear the door open and reveal the lurker's vest!

Secret 7 - Chamber of Pits - In the very first room, as you start moving along the movitng platform, on the wall facing the lever, there will be a loose rock, its right in the top right corner if you're facing the puzzle. activate it and a platform will activate for you to snag your prize, if you're quick enough you can even go to the end without falling!

Level 6 - 12 secrets

Secret 1 - When you enter the level, on the right at the far end there is an alcove with an emtpy torch Sconce, place one inside to reveal a secret!

Secret 2 - Remember on the secret 1? go inside that small corridor and look at the wals carefully, at about knee-high sight, there is a switch, which opens up another wall.. step on the floor switch and PLACE not throw, a rock in the portal to reveal your secret.. but be wary.. once you pick it up two crabs come to murder you

Secret 3 - Maze of madness - god until i noticed how to solve this i was like.. dude there is no end to this they all lead to the start!.. anyway once you reach the round key, look for a lose rock, another portal wil desactivate for a new secret

Secret 4 - Haunted Halls - There are two loose rocks in this room, both open up different walls, so this secret 4 is lets say.. when you enter, you have a pillar in front of you, well the L shapped pillar right behind it, look for a loose rock

Secret 5 - Haunted Halls - Loose rock again, from where you enter, there is a 1x2 wide pillar on the right and a loose rock on it.. another secret!

Secret 6 - Halls of fire - When you reach the Mage's entrance, follow the crabs, there will be a pit in the center of a room, hop inside and fight your way back

Secret 7 - Halls of fire - From the pit mentionned above, or any other that leads to that same level, look around to fall another pit down to level 8.. you,ll be in a new room where you solve a bloody easy puzzle to place a rock and remove it to get a full helm!

Secret 8 - Halls of fire - Remember the pit in the middle of a room, noticed the demon's face shooting fireballs constantly.. gota admit that it shouts i'm hiding something.. there are two loose rocks on the right wall, activate them and in the further alcove there is another switch which opens a path in the first, leading to level 5.. fight your way for a secret!

Secret 9 - Walkabout - I had not figured it out.. but decided to go back.. from when you enter, walk straight and then in a clockwise parttern around the pillars... after two turns, you'll get a rock, 3 more you'll get a centurion and 4 you'll get a secret!

Secret 10 - Mage's entrance - pits pits pits everywhere... if yoiu manage to hit all switches properly around the center pillar, 4 of them.. you'll have access to the sword of nex

Secret 11 - Figher's challenge - now that you have the sword of nex you can access it.. from the mage entreance, get to the demon's face, and head right, you'll find a loose rock that leads to stairs downwards... i hope you're ready because.. i cant do it.. i,ll have to come back to this because this is wayyyyyyy too damn hard -_-

Secret 12 - The Iron Door - Got 4 keys? yes? no? you didnt aww.. ok well one was ''hidden'' i'm sure the one you're missing is the one in the haunted hallways, remember that floort step on it and wait , when you're facing the pillar, there is a door opening right on the other side.. have a skeleton hold it down and you should have enough time to reach that door

Cond in another post... too many characters :O first time i hit that haha

Steam Username : Skellt

Last edited by Skellt; 04-24-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Additionnal Info
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 AM
Herald

No comment on Grimrock as I haven't played it, but I will comment that the new forum for gaming news does make keeping track of posts a bit more difficult then it was previously. Ideally I suppose a moderator should move posts about upcoming games to the What Else Are you Playing forum once they release. Anyway, just my .02 based on what I've noticed with the change.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Counsel

I would have loved to be at the design meeting where they decided on "loose rock" for the 5th time in a row.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Lord Advocate

^ The game is amazing, these kinds of puzzles are classic and pay homage to games like Dungeon Master, which is exactly what Grimrock is trying to do.

Anyways I'll throw in one that took a bit to figure out:

Level 3

To open the metal door on this level, make sure to take the rock/whatever you used to get past the teleport puzzle to open the gap to the door. Then, head east to a 7X5 (I think that's the dimensions) where there are torches on each side of the wall like the first torch puzzle in that level. Put torches on each side wall but none on the pillar in the middle...you should hear a door open in the distance :D
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenka View Post
I would have loved to be at the design meeting where they decided on "loose rock" for the 5th time in a row.
for real.. i mean whenever i want to find a secret room, i clear a portion of the level without opening any doors, and then i proceed to look at all the walls, keeping a keen eye for loose rocks...

they are fairly easy to notice too, it's a shame really, wish there was more options, like chains that are already hanging from walls.

Bullrings on some pillars.
Torches placements
broken levers..

So many more ideas to think of!

But hey at least game is enjoyable
Luckily enough i have a good sens of orientation so even without a map i'm able to navigate without too much trouble!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Lord Advocate

As far as puzzles and secrets go there's pressure plates, torch placements on walls, placing specific items on shelves, manipulating teleporters, pits, keys, levers, floor traps, staring at demon heads (yes I know sounds weird), flying bolts of light, and yes, loose rocks and buttons in walls. That's what I found at least so far up to level 5.

There's at least 2-3 versions of buttons/loose rocks on the walls too, and at level 5 the wall design changes and what you look for is different. I think there's 2 other wall designs after that, as well.

Last edited by Renevent; 04-13-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Champion

we'll see! i cant wait to get deeper but i dont want to leave anything in any floor.. so i stopped before the steps of floor 3 yesterday

Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 AM
Champion

i was wondering, not many people are commenting on the game, how do you guys like it so far, enjoyable? not so much?

how far are you..

i think yas can make an educated guess in saying i'm about to be on floor 6

im taking my time and exploring every bloody bit of wall to make sure i'm not missing treasures, thorum notes, secrets

I think that so far ive got everything... 4 thorum notes, 2 treasures, and eumm that many secrets!

I personally rolled a minotaur warrior, a rogue specced in dodge / unarmed (he bloody NEVER gets hit.. but does not do as much dmg as my minautaur.. which just soaks it up), with two mages, one in air and ice the other in fire and earth.. and i'm glad i made two.. they deal a SHITTON of damage

So far im not having too much of a hard time, one or two rooms did cause some trouble, but hard difficulty isnt really all that hard, just ought to pick enemies one by one and be cautious, other than that, i cant imagine it being too much harder than other diff!

Oh and im also running off of my brain as a map.. so far so good! maps really arent all that complicated so far

overall i'm REALLY glad i spent that meager 10$

Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Counsel

Loving the game. My one gripe is that it needs to be totally turn based. The fact that it's partially real time kinda irks me, especially when using magic.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Champion

I kinda do love the fact that is it semi-turn based.. it takes out some of the old feeling (not thats its bad or anything) and some of the ''luck'' out of the game and replaces it more or less with ''skill''..

And i say this very lightly because it is VERY VERY easy to abuse stupidity of computers..
All you need to do it walk sideways in a 4x4 corner and.. aside from the ogre (which is the only one that could remotely hit me so far).
Magic is intresting, i like the rune system, but there arent enough spells tbh. I,m on level 6 and ive seen everything there is to the magic system, all i need to do now is get them to become a bit more powerful (they already deal about 100 dmg per spell and have a mana pool of about 5 spells.. even the ogre couldnt stand against me)

Bottom line i like the game ALOT.. unless i REALLY get trapped in a corner by my own stupidity, i dont die nor come close to.

I have been game over once, on level 6, as i grabbed the orb in the vault and got trapped by two crabs.. god those hurt like a bitch