Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Notices

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Praetorian

I don't get your logic. If you "are" a fanboy, you would have bought the epic/legendary edition already. If you really wanted the demo that bad, same story. The real "demo" isn't coming out til AFTER the game has been released, or a week before, no doubt. Demos are always the test versions that come out after the beta/alpha testers have found the bugs...
  This is the last staff post in this thread.   #12  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris01 View Post
edit:sorry if I offended anyone im just a huge fan of iron lore and crate entertainmend so...excuse me
medierra that was an ubber fan boy issm (i dont know how to spell it)
ZOMG!1?! Your unbridled enthusiasm is completely offensive!

If we do have a demo it will probably be after release. Packaging up a demo for release would take time away from development and prolong the release of the real game.

Beyond that, I'm not sure I believe in pre-release demos from a business perspective. As I said, they can take time away from development of the game at a critical stage and often they end up containing bugs that would be fixed in the polish / bug-testing phase before the real game's release.

I think that has too much potential to give a false negative impression of the game before release. I think it is best to release a demo following the release of the game to help convince hold-outs who haven't bought the game yet. That way, they're getting a demo built from a thoroughly bug-tested version of the game that wasn't rushed out the door.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Minister of Information

It would be a complete waste of time, to create a buggy pre-release demo and then to create a bug-free demo after release.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Herald

I think the new Aliens vs Predator demo might be an example of that. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the game and preordered it before the demo became available, but I honestly don't know what they were thinking with releasing it.

What most people enjoyed with the older AvP's was species-specific team deathmatch and the singleplayer, and the demo is strictly FFA only.
Rumor has it that the demo is over 10 months old as well, which isn't too far-fetched since the recent preview videos of the game look a *lot* tighter and polished, and there are a few glaring bugs in the demo like the flamethrower not dealing any damage (and I mean that literally - you can't kill anyone even if they stand still while you use a full clip) and being able to sneak-attack through walls.

I can sorta see the logic in restricting the game type, that you want to have the simplest mode where you don't want people having to learn the rules or getting yelled at for not being good enough, but FFA in any of the AvP's is so un-fun and playing to the game's weaknesses to such a degree that I wouldn't release a demo for it at all.
I feel it's about as off-target as releasing a 1v1 pvp-only demo for Titan Quest, and expecting it to appeal to people wanting a singleplayer or coop pve experience.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
ZOMG!1?! Your unbridled enthusiasm is completely offensive!

If we do have a demo it will probably be after release. Packaging up a demo for release would take time away from development and prolong the release of the real game.

Beyond that, I'm not sure I believe in pre-release demos from a business perspective. As I said, they can take time away from development of the game at a critical stage and often they end up containing bugs that would be fixed in the polish / bug-testing phase before the real game's release.

I think that has too much potential to give a false negative impression of the game before release. I think it is best to release a demo following the release of the game to help convince hold-outs who haven't bought the game yet. That way, they're getting a demo built from a thoroughly bug-tested version of the game that wasn't rushed out the door.
Totally agreed.

Polish the final game is the winner solution. Who is serious that becomes legendary... Final release must be bugfree.(and good news/reviews spread better, and more players come as time passes) We have plenty thousanads of testers(the contributors number is growing day by day) and we will hunt down bugs so help the hard work this way...
Old 02-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Emissary

Yep no need demo if you already pre-order it. If you can't wait, get epic. I still haven't pre-order but i hope to make enough extra money for legendary so i could get access to alpha and it also donate much to GD cause. I've over thousand in paypal but I still need to make more money. You see, I'm from Malaysia, land of pirates. You could get any game dvd for $3 per piece on the street. I need to work harder to make it to legendary. My friends will think I'm mad to pay a game for $48 and it's not even out yet, if I'm telling them.

ps: i'm not trying to spoil my country name, but it's the reality here.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei View Post
Yep no need demo if you already pre-order it. If you can't wait, get epic. I still haven't pre-order but i hope to make enough extra money for legendary so i could get access to alpha and it also donate much to GD cause. I've over thousand in paypal but I still need to make more money. You see, I'm from Malaysia, land of pirates. You could get any game dvd for $3 per piece on the street. I need to work harder to make it to legendary. My friends will think I'm mad to pay a game for $48 and it's not even out yet, if I'm telling them.

ps: i'm not trying to spoil my country name, but it's the reality here.
I have a thread all about Grim Dawn on local (Malaysia) forum, and that thread is up for almost 2 years now. Well... I'm still the only one that actually bought the game up front. The rest are still at "wait and see" status...
Closed Thread

Tags
demo, release