Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-2015, 06:23 PM
GruesDoItInTheDark GruesDoItInTheDark is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 778
Default Terrible Decisions pt.1. - A Gun Mage

http://grimcalc.com/build/Cm4wodThis is the plan. It's kind of a work in progress. I'm about to hit the mid-20 levels, and may finally try out dual wielding pistols. From level 7 or so on I've mostly used pierce rifles with a pierce aura mod.

Right now my build is something like this ... http://grimcalc.com/build/KirtzU wearing an Alchemist +1 crown. And mostly using the following equipment... I switch between the rifle and the melee set often.

The melee set includes: http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...-Lightning-Rod & http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...r's-Effigy

The unique equipment I'm wearing:
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...dborne-Greaves
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...39;s-Ammo-Belt
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...r's-Jacket
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...r's-Gloves
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/1044-Nether-Crown
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...let-of-the-Eye
and a (green drop)Incendiary Spaulders to round out my armor!

And to equip most of it I'm using a lot of Emerald alchemy mods.
  #2  
Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 PM
extrakun extrakun is offline
Counsel
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruesDoItInTheDark View Post
http://grimcalc.com/build/Cm4wodThis is the plan. It's kind of a work in progress. I'm about to hit the mid-20 levels, and may finally try out dual wielding pistols. From level 7 or so on I've mostly used pierce rifles with a pierce aura mod.

Right now my build is something like this ... http://grimcalc.com/build/KirtzU wearing an Alchemist +1 crown. And mostly using the following equipment... I switch between the rifle and the melee set often.

The melee set includes: http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...-Lightning-Rod & http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...r's-Effigy

The unique equipment I'm wearing:
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...dborne-Greaves
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...39;s-Ammo-Belt
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...r's-Jacket
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...r's-Gloves
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/1044-Nether-Crown
http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/item...let-of-the-Eye
and a (green drop)Incendiary Spaulders to round out my armor!

And to equip most of it I'm using a lot of Emerald alchemy mods.
I run a similar build and at level 50 it's one of my more decent character. Interesting choice of using CT for crowd control - I'm using OFF myself.

I find the full Marauder's Set to be really useful for this build, especially if you are maxing out Overload.
  #3  
Old 08-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Xeilua's Avatar
Xeilua Xeilua is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,574
Default

Sounds like my old Gunner Sorc build.

A gunner sorc has high damage potential but it's going to be a bit of a glass cannon no matter how you build it. Mirror and Maiven should help to alleviate that a bit, though.
__________________
Shieldbreaker 58 | Warlord 22
  #4  
Old 08-12-2015, 06:02 AM
Raiyaz Raiyaz is offline
Emissary
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 909
Default

I only see two terribly terrible decisions (see what I did there ), having 12/12 in Elemental Balance and absolutely none in Maiven's. I think it should be the other way around, but I get that you want to try out the IEE skill line before it gets changes in B27...

The other questionable thing is the 12/12 Blast Shield...

It should work out decently well for you, I propose you do this on HC and not SC though
__________________
This is a signature. You can post stuff here!
  #5  
Old 08-12-2015, 06:32 AM
Xeilua's Avatar
Xeilua Xeilua is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyaz View Post
It should work out decently well for you, I propose you do this on HC and not SC though
What, for grief?
__________________
Shieldbreaker 58 | Warlord 22
  #6  
Old 08-12-2015, 06:36 AM
Feuerhoden Feuerhoden is offline
Acolyte
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 38
Default

if i may hijack this thread a bit, as my first char was kinda the same idea:

is dual wielding guns even worth it in this game?

in the firestrike line: is brimstone even worth it? i did only 1 point in the first firestrike mod and maxed the other 2, is that good or bad?

also, does... say +100%elemental dmg increase my fire by 33 and lightning by 33 and cold by 33 or does it cound as totally new dmg type?

and lastly: would you consider cunning or spirit to be better for such a build?
  #7  
Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 AM
sfbistimg's Avatar
sfbistimg sfbistimg is offline
Lord Advocate
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerhoden View Post
if i may hijack this thread a bit, as my first char was kinda the same idea:

is dual wielding guns even worth it in this game?

in the firestrike line: is brimstone even worth it? i did only 1 point in the first firestrike mod and maxed the other 2, is that good or bad?

also, does... say +100%elemental dmg increase my fire by 33 and lightning by 33 and cold by 33 or does it cound as totally new dmg type?

and lastly: would you consider cunning or spirit to be better for such a build?
no Elemental % Damage will give all 3 elements the total %.
Flat Elemental Damage tho would be 33/33/33
  #8  
Old 08-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Xeilua's Avatar
Xeilua Xeilua is offline
Praetorian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerhoden View Post
if i may hijack this thread a bit, as my first char was kinda the same idea:

is dual wielding guns even worth it in this game?

in the firestrike line: is brimstone even worth it? i did only 1 point in the first firestrike mod and maxed the other 2, is that good or bad?

and lastly: would you consider cunning or spirit to be better for such a build?
Personally, I find that dual-wielding guns is a total blast...and GD doesn't even have a mastery focused on doing that yet (likely expansion mastery).

Brimstone is good in general and it's fun to use. It's awesome for Pyromancers (since they can make the most of it), great for other fire-based gunners, not so great for physical-based gunners.

As long as you're focusing on magic damage (i.e. everything except Physical, Pierce, Bleeding and Internal Trauma), Spirit is the way to go.
__________________
Shieldbreaker 58 | Warlord 22
  #9  
Old 08-12-2015, 03:15 PM
GruesDoItInTheDark GruesDoItInTheDark is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 778
Default

So far Extrakun I'm planning to using Cal. T and Can. Bomb for crowd control because CB let's me dps at range, and control more uniques at a safer distance (and I have experience with it using a Occ/Demo) but also CT for an escape. I'm using the damage absorption mostly against uniques or enemies which throw around a lot of ground effects.

Raiyez, I'll probably switch out some points from Blast Shield eventually. I found it to be a great way to charge through some areas though... the 12/12 is kind of an earmark for this. I'm not above adapting a bit if my equipment isn't great on resistances. I didn't like the energy cost on Maiven's but I'll definetely look at that as a place for unused Blast Shield.

Although I think Xeilua points out something good at the end there, I may have too many points in Cunning.
  #10  
Old 09-28-2015, 06:08 PM
GruesDoItInTheDark GruesDoItInTheDark is offline
Campaigner
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 778
Talking Updated, grim calc & report.

Hey all.

This is the updated plan: http://grimcalc.com/build/5YKSqH - at least for skills. I have some level 40/50 pistols from my other character in my stash but I'm not sure entirely what I want to do for items or components just yet.

So at some point when I get closer to level 50 and have a better idea of what the optimal end game gear should be, and what skills are effective, I'll re-post this. For now let me just say that the build has peaked at level 32. The equipment I'm wearing grants me some great bonuses and I modded out some buffed common drops. I'm in the area around Homestead and before taking on any of the big missions in the area I added some purified salt to one of my weapons.

This is approximately my current skill tree: http://grimcalc.com/build/zwsMgX and the key parts of my load out are,

Gunslingers Jacket, Gunslingers Talisman, Marauder's Gloves & Belt.
Wildcaller's Cowl - for the plus twelve physical damage.
Brimstone Shoulderguard (w/antiv salve)
Dread Lord's Ribbon - 3 Vit +8% Vit D, 3% AD=health, +2%xp (w/s shard)
Band of Black Ice - (w/b blood)
Amulet of the Eye (w/b blood)
Windborne Boots

I'm duel wielding two common pistols with magical affixes.

Chilled Steel Hand Cannon of the Rifthound {w/Blessed Steel}
20-63 PhyD, 21% armor piercing,
+7 ColdD +9% PD=ColdD, +21 Cun, +12% Att-Spe.

{B. Steel; 4ElemD +18% ElemD +18OffR, +3Phy +7Cun, & Sacred Strike for (338-428) WeaD & 559-861 ElemD.}

Steel Hand Cannon of Alacrity {w/Purified Salt}
20-63 PhyD, 21% armor piercing, +14% AttS.

{P. Salt; +15 Def R. 25% life leech res, +15% D vs Aetherials & A Constructs, +15 Cunning.
AURA: +15% Aeth Res +5% max Aether R}

I was able to clear the Aetherial Construct in the barn in less than a minute (almost 30 seconds flat) and the Aether (Starcraft Overseer) Tower Corruption Thing in about a minute and a half.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-27_00002.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	7678  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Grim Dawn ©2018 Crate Entertainment, LLC.
vBulletin® 3.8.4 ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.