Old 08-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Herald

Default Dark Souls

I'm surprised no-body has mentioned this game yet, so I thought I might as well.
It is a console game (PS3/ XB 360), and is the spiritual successor to "Demon Souls".
It comes out in October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJHLyzGfXfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1563hgmh0uU

I personally am looking forward to this game more so than ES V: Skyrim, but that's just me.

And since this game has no nudity or sexual themes, my girl-friend is going to let me play.
"WOOT"

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would just re-cycle this one.
The PC version comes out later this month (August 24).
Here is a new vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjWmq...&feature=g-u-u

Last edited by shawnmck; 08-10-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Herald

Here is another that shows off a few more classes, such as Witch, Pyromancer, & some other class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA305RWd3qU

And some trailers showing off some big bosses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQdWwGAFpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpY9y93e8M

Last edited by shawnmck; 08-12-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Speaker

Since most of us seem to be mainly PC gamers, this game gets overlooked. I like my PS3 and all, but it only cost me $300. My graphics card alone cost that, so finding a good PC game gives me my money's worth, better graphics and typically better customization.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Lord Advocate

I pretty excited about this game...just worried it's a little too "hardcore" for me. I don't have the same reaction time I had when I was a kid.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Supporter

I really wanted to play more Demon's Soul's. It is still sitting on my shelf unfinished but it's not because it was too difficult, or pissed me off countless times, or anything. It's because there is no way to PAUSE it!

No pause just doesn't work in a small apartment with a 2 year old and a wife.

I hope Dark Souls has one.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevent View Post
I pretty excited about this game...just worried it's a little too "hardcore" for me. I don't have the same reaction time I had when I was a kid.
I think I know what you mean...?
DS is a tough game. It requires a ton of patience. I myself almost gave up on it because the penalty for dying was so stiff.
But I eventually got better and learned to like the game despite it.
One reason for me liking it is because it's difficult but more realistic or plausible. The game's difficulty isn't artificially raised by throwing mobs of enemies at you. Just 2 or 3 enemies can be extremely tough (as it would be in real life). Enemies block consistently, try to flank you, and what-not.
(I really don't like it in games where they make the game more difficult by increasing the number of enemies so that you end up with a large mob against one person, it feels convoluted & exaggerated, but that's just me)

But my reaction time has also been compromised quite a bit as well. Not just because of age (I'm 41), but also because I have rheumatoid arthritis.
What helps in this game's favor is that it is a bit more cerebral in that you will actually learn to plan attacks & learn to make adjustments in your technique when you come across newer enemies or bosses.
It can still be extremely frustrating though, and the Developers have mentioned that they wanted to make it even more difficult then Demons souls.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirii View Post
I really wanted to play more Demon's Soul's. It is still sitting on my shelf unfinished but it's not because it was too difficult, or pissed me off countless times, or anything. It's because there is no way to PAUSE it!

No pause just doesn't work in a small apartment with a 2 year old and a wife.

I hope Dark Souls has one.
As far as I know, it is not going to have a [pause] feature, but I could be wrong. SO far it looks almost identical to demons souls in just about every way, except with some new elements thrown in, such as being more open world, having better check-points via camp-fires, and whatever else.
There may yet still be a pause feature, but I kinda doubt it.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Counsel

I like a challenge but Demon Souls was beyond that. I heard they did something after I stop playing (shortly after release) to curb the frustration. My biggest complaint with the game was not the difficulty of mobs so much but my inability to save frequently. The last time I spent an hour and a half dungeon crawling and died and ended up back at square one I was done. At least give me some save spots throughout the game.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction"~ Blaise Pascal

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb
Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyeRed View Post
I like a challenge but Demon Souls was beyond that. I heard they did something after I stop playing (shortly after release) to curb the frustration. My biggest complaint with the game was not the difficulty of mobs so much but my inability to save frequently. The last time I spent an hour and a half dungeon crawling and died and ended up back at square one I was done. At least give me some save spots throughout the game.
If you choose to not buy the game because of it's difficulty & severe penalty for dying, then I totally understand.
But the game does allow you to save whenever you want. It also saves regularly. What it does not do is allow you to progress to a certain waypoint unless certain requirements are met.

It's the way-point system that is the problem, and I totally agree. The game punishes you for dying, and it sends you all the way back to a starting point of an area and also re-spawns all enemies. That is severe.
But it does save. If you managed to pick up a specific item, weapon or armor before you died, then you will find that you still have that same item in your inventory when it re-spawns you.

But yeah, the penalty for dying is very severe, and is a bit of a turn-off.
However, I think the Developers are trying to lessen things by allowing more way-point areas that are what they call "camp-fires", in which you activate said camp-fire and it becomes your way-point.
They are still in pre-set locations, but there are more of them.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Herald

Video Review from IGN is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLaLqYauTA

Here is another from skulloguy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTRRr5R5hcw

Last edited by shawnmck; 09-30-2011 at 10:49 PM.