Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Notices

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Champion

hmm i like the buttons MUCH better indeed

Although the title feels really out of place with two bars on top of each other, feels like you were like here is our menu.. wait we forgot the logo, lets stamp it there

Steam Username : Skellt
Old 06-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Supporter

Really like the changes and the font. Overall it looks really good.

How about doing away with the top border but leave just the thin strip with the runes across the top of the screen? If I was any good with paint software i'd check what it would look like
Old 06-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Initiate

Very nice, looks kinda retro to me, i like it
Old 06-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Minister of Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobster View Post
How about doing away with the top border but leave just the thin strip with the runes across the top of the screen?
This yes, this
Old 06-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Initiate

Nice, especially if the scene in the background is alive.

The Grim Dawn logo is a bit... flat. Look at the logo at the top of this forum, this has more depth to it. Perhaps use that instead of the one currently in use?

[update] *aargh* I didn't read all the pages and just discovered the updated screen... I rest my case, this last one looks really awesome! Especially the logo at the top :P
Old 06-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Initiate

What if the Grim Dawn logo was in 3D and really darkened out "Not too much though" and lit up by lightning now and then or maybe gradually lit up first by lightning and then torches, i dunno ;P maybe is a bit cheesy?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Acolyte

I'm going to level with you. I am still very excited about this game, i have not kept up with anything, i am not an over estatic community fanboy (no offense just demonstrating that i am not biased to this game ) and i have to say this looks like crap.

(also havent read this whole thread so im sorry if im beating a dead horse)

It kinda just screams low quality and that this is how the rest of the game is going to be. honestly it reminds me of Dark age of camelot or the low quality of the warhammer online attempt.

The title fontstyle of grim dawn looks kinda hokey (but i can understand you guys not changing it) and says to me evil dead. Also it really doesnt fit the seriousness that this game has or even the landscape pictured is showing

The menu buttons look kinda just slapped together and thrown on the page.. I have to say a more runic "engraved into the stone" look would be much better. Right now it looks like someone made a hybrid of a gothic font and a comic font. If i were you guys id try and opt for an artist to do the buttons.. i cant imagine itd be that expensive for just buttons.

The lay out of the buttons seems like it could be done better. An even spacing along the bottom of the screen would probably look more thought out instead of them just hanging out in the corner. If you wanna get really creative you can read later at the bottom of this post for a redesign i was thinking about.

I'm assuming the backround isnt a steady screenshot- its of an environment doing its thing.. possibly a camera roaming.

Some nice effects would be :

-Heavy stone being pushed sound when pressing buttons( indiana jones style comes to mind)

-When a button is selected, a backround change to something relevant to it (example: play game changes to a battle scene or character select changes to something showcasing the characters)

As for the redesign i mentioned i think it would be best to be rid of the buttons and have interactive "buttons" as objects on screen.

For example if you wanted to play survival mode you would mouse over say a road leading off and the words survival would animate up and stuff etc..
Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSpy View Post
Looks really nice!

It would be neat if the level behind the menu was randomized so it would always be different.
+1
Looks great, and yes random menu would be cool. Maybe 4-5 different backgrounds
Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Acolyte

with the backgrounds changing Vredesbyrd, i was thinking the camera should like rotate and go down to see a character come up to the cliffs edge for "play Grim Dawn"

Also i would like to hear some music at the main menu. my faviorite would have to be the dragon age origins main menu tune. maybe add some slow music

Last edited by 8Ryan8; 06-25-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Speaker

Aside from a bunch of touchups in the art-end of things I'd honstly like to see Crate not put too much time into a main-menu. You're not actually playing a game. Its a menu. 9/10 times you bang through it in less than 5sec to get playing the game. I'd prefer to see crate spending time creating new items or something. Or fine-tuning spells.

Tags
lore, user interface