Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Grim Misadventure #64: A Window into the Faction World

Grim Misadventures are back, and this time with another helping of what is up and coming with the Faction System overhaul. Previously, we have introduced you to Augments, a new way to customize your gear and even give your weapons glow effects, as well as some of the factions you will be encountering in Act 3. But with 11 Factions in the game, it is important to be able to keep track of your progress in an organized and descriptive manner. For this, we have the brand new Faction UI.

The old Factions tab in the Character Sheet is gone, replaced by a dedicated Window that will not only provide all of the previously available information at a glance, but also in-depth information on every faction you have encountered.

The Faction Window

As you begin your adventures in Cairn, you will be aware of only three groups: Devilís Crossing, the Aetherials and the Chthonians. But as you explore and meet other survivors (and enemies), the Faction Window will update with those groups. Once you perform a quest for any given faction, you will be able to earn reputation with them by killing their foes. But each faction has different goals and desires. You will be able to see exactly what they are in the Faction Window.

Reputation Tiers
There are 8 tiers of reputation you can reach. Most factions will start you off at Tolerated, progressing either towards deeper hostility or a stronger alliance. As you reach higher reputation tiers, you will unlock rewards, ranging from vendor discounts to new quests or access to special faction-only equipment.

Upcoming Faction Rewards

Vendor Discounts

But what about hostile factions? Yes, becoming more hated by your foes has repercussions too. As you destroy your enemies all around Cairn, your reputation with enemy factions will become increasingly hostile, causing them to send in more powerful foes to stop you. Once you reach the Nemesis tier, then you know you have really angered that group. Tread lightly!

The Faction Window marks the first stage of our Faction System Overhaul. You can look forward to finding out more about Cairnís factions with Build 24, when the Faction Window is released along with Act 3: Chapter 2 and many other improvements to the game. Faction Vendors and Reputation rewards (and consequences) will be released with Build 25, coming soon after the upcoming Build 24.

Like knowing whatís coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 02/16/2015 for our regular development updates!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Faction Window.jpg
Views:	15998
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	5065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Faction Discount.jpg
Views:	15027
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	5066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Faction Reputation.jpg
Views:	14977
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	5067  
Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Praetorian

Looks amazing!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Praetorian

the new faction system looks very nice
twitch.tv/dikkiedik92

My builds: https://goo.gl/TTGM9X
Old 02-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Supporter

are all the factions either "good" or "evil" or is it actually possible to choose for some of them? for example, could I be hostile towards homestead and allied towards cronley's gang?
Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Praetorian

now that I call a major overhaul. I have to admit the faction system is going to be interesting to see how it develops, and what we will see in build 25!!! but I love the window, and the faction rewards and discounts. looking good Crate, looking good!

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Acolyte

uhhhh really excited, can we get any info on when build 24 will be out?
it doesnt seem like we can side with bandits and general "evil" faction, though that would be cool
Old 02-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Counsel

Cant wait more and more cool stuff ,awesome job!!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Counsel

Great addition to GD's replayability.
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9  
Old 02-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby_stark View Post
are all the factions either "good" or "evil" or is it actually possible to choose for some of them? for example, could I be hostile towards homestead and allied towards cronley's gang?
The game tells a story of humanity's battle against the Chthonians and the Aetherials, which does require that some factions be inherently "good" or "evil", but you will have to make an important choice in Act 3 that will forge a critical alliance, but also create new foes to contend with.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby_stark View Post
for example, could I be hostile towards homestead and allied towards cronley's gang?
Unless Cronley's Gang starts handing out quests I don't see how this is possible.

Kickstarter Contributor - Hoarder's Edition - 5/2/2012

Tags
factions, grim misadventure, world