Old 12-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Praetorian

Default [Sorcerer/ess] Magnificent Marksman

This build was an absolute blast to make! Enjoy~

- SORCERER/ESS (Demolitionist + Arcanist) Lv.40 -
MAGNIFICENT MARKSMAN - Dazzle & daze your enemies with a spectacular show of elemental conjuring that's sure to knock 'em dead!
Ranger/Caster | Elemental (Fire, Lightning, Cold) | Stun (x6), Freeze (x2) | WPS Weight (?): 0
  • Attribute Distribution: Full Spirit for maximum magical mayhem. We can make up for the lack in OA (Cunning) and Physique directly from gear.
  • Core Skills:
    • Firestrike, Explosive Strike, Static Strike, and Brimstone combined forms our basic attack: a ranged shot that deals Fire & Chaos damage in a 1.5-meter explosion that releases deadly molten shards, with medium chances to deal bonus Physical damage, extra Lightning damage, or even knock down targets.
    • Trozan's Sky Shard will become a powerful secondary elemental attack + group freeze once the level cap raises.
    • Canister Bomb and Concussive Bomb together form a potent group-stun ability, serving as a useful source of crowd control.
    • Overload (Iskandra's Elemental Exchange) provides a significant bonus to our trinity of elemental damage types, effectively boosting our overall damage output.
    • Inner Focus boosts our main attribute and improves accuracy/crit power. Greatly.
  • One-pointers that are worth picking up even without +skills:
    • Olexra's Flash Freeze is useful for freezing melee berserkers in their tracks while Canister Bomb is on cooldown. Don't level this skill past rank 1 - its damage sucks butt.
    • Mirror of Ereoctes grants brief damage immunity, useful in a pinch or for negating reflected damage!
  • One-pointers that are worth picking up only if you have +skills to boost them:
    • Flame Touched provides a decent bonus to all Fire damage dealt.
    • Blast Shield for a little added defense against ranged attacks, and because it makes you look cooler while active.
    • Vindictive Flame punishes foes fortunate enough to land a melee strike on us, provides a few minor defensive bonuses, and sets us up for future investment into its awesome modifier.
  • Here's why this build is called the "Magnificent" Marksman - a spectacular repertoire of elemental procs, 3 on-attack, 3 when struck:
    • Lightning Bolt (10% Chance on Attack) from the Orwell's Revolver pistol casts a lightning bolt when it procs. Stun effect.
    • Lightning Bolt (5% Chance on Attack) from Stormcaller's Gem amulet casts a lightning bolt when it procs. Stun effect.
    • Fireball (5% Chance on Attack) from the Eyes of Flame helmet casts a trident of fireballs when it procs. Stun effect.
    • Rimefire (5% Chance when Hit) from Alkamos' Anguish places a deadly pool composed of frozen despair and other emo shit.
    • Howling Wind (10% Chance when Hit by Melee Attacks) from Windborne Greaves spawns a frigid aura around you, dealing cold damage to any who come too close. Freeze effect.
    • Static Charge (5% Chance when Hit by Melee Attacks) from the Attuned Lodestone component damages nearby foes with Lightning damage. Stun effect.
  • Here's the rest of the item-granted skills:
    • Demon's Breath from the Devil-Touched Ammo component can be used for some extra damage sometimes. The component is good, so this one is just kinda...there for now.
    • Lightning Aura from the Hell's Bane Ammo component boosts overall Lightning Damage and grants a chance to stun targets struck. Badass group buff.
    • Quickdraw (5% Chance on Attack) from the Quickdraw Gloves grants a brief burst of attack speed; more attacks = more procs!
    • Murderous Intent (5% Chance on Attack) from the Outlaw's Retribution pistol briefly boosts OA, which means more critical hits!
- Veteran Tips -
  • Rush Explosive Strike to max rank in order to maximize AoE damage early. Anything in the blast radius will burn to death. Follow this by rushing Brimstone, picking up Canister Bomb and Concussive Bomb along the way for 4 points. Offense is the best defense here!
  • If you want some extra survivability before fighting Warden Krieg, feel free to dip into the Arcanist and pick up Mirror of Ereoctes early in order to mitigate some damage. Avoid his "barb shotgun" as best as you can - if it hits you, counter it with a potion ASAP. Though it's usually best to avoid it outright as a ranger by running perpendicular to its arc.
  • You can pretty much reclaim most of the points from Explosive Strike whenever Brimstone is maxed. Keep them in if you like though, I just prefer to divert them into Overload or Inner Focus with the current level cap for some extra elemental offense.
- Recommended Items -
  • General: % Elemental Damage, OA, and Energy Regeneration are first priority. Following that, seek out the usual defensive bonuses (armor, resistances, etc.). Any % bonuses to Fire, Lightning, or Cold damage are useful. Lifesteal is useful, but not required.
  • Rare Affixes: "Skyfallen" "Flamecaster" "Frostborn" "Stormheart" "Hoarfrost" "of Desolation" "of Squalls" "of Fallen Skies" "of the Hurricane" "of Insight" "of Kings" (many more, will update later)
  • Awesome items that grant Elemental procs; combine them all for ELEMENTAL DEVASTATION: Orwell's Revolver, Stormcaller's Gem, Eyes of Flame, Alkamos' Anguish, Windborne Greaves, and Attuned Lodestone.
  • If you plan to dual-wield pistols on this build as I do, you'll need one of the following: Gunslinger's Talisman, Gunslinger's Jacket, or Marauder's Ammo Belt.
  • The Marauder's set synergizes well with this build.
  • A pair of Oathbreakers together boost attack speed greatly and add even more fire & chaos damage to our shots.
  • Not into dual-wielding pistols? Will of Fate is a damn good alternative.
  • Outlaw's Retribution buffs Explosive Strike and provides a good OA boost on occasion. The attack speed boost is great as well.
  • Quickdraw Gloves are great for increasing proc frequency!
  • Enchanter's Insignia: +%Fire & %Lightning damage, +OA, +2 to Blast Shield. SOLD!
  • Marks of Illusions are absolutely amazing on any elemental-focused build. Roiling Bloods are good alternatives if you're lacking in OA.
  • If you've got a pair of Starfires, feel free to divert some points into Trozan's Sky Shard early.
  • As for relics, a Conflagration with a +2 to Fire Strike completion bonus bolsters our primary mastery significantly.
  • A Tempest Sigil would be perfect for this build, but it's 3 levels above the current cap! Keep this in mind if you happen to find one before the next level cap raise.
  • With a bunch of OA items and a level cap of 50, a pair of Mediators could be devastatingly badass.
- Miscellaneous -
  • Trivia: This build originally had a Pyromancer counterpart, but it was scrapped due to its poor relative performance. You can read about that failure here. Edit: I may decide to revive this build now that Brimstone can actually hit things!
- Changelog -
  • December 20th, 2014: Updated to the Level 40 cap; point investment: +3 Inner Focus, +5 Arcanist, +7 Maiven's Sphere of Protection.
  • March 17th, 2015: A whole mess of changes: Attributes went from 1:1:1 to Full Spirit; Olexra's Flash Freeze has been demoted to backup CC; because Brimstone is actually useful now, the Demolitionist mastery gained +25 points while the Arcanist lost 5 points and Maiven's Sphere. Picked up Trozan's Sky Shard as a placeholder secondary until the level cap raises again, at which point it will get full focus along with picking up MSoP and Frozen Core.
    Into the Arcanist, we shall go!
That's all, folks! Let me know if you have any questions, comments, et cetera, but most importantly, enjoy playing the elemental gun-mage Sorcerer/ess!

Last edited by Xeilua; 03-22-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Speaker

awesome build! it seems solid, I'm gonna try it,
thank you for sharing!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Herald

I've been running nearly the exact same build for a while, the only differences being that I'm using the Brimstone set and have also specced Grenado. The damage is very nice but, due to the low point investment in masteries, it's so squishy clearing "endgame" dungeons is extremely challenging.

I've tried levelling up Demo up to 50 and using Brimstone and, even if Fire Strike's damage is lower, it's way more survivable and easy to play.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuranosuke View Post
I've been running nearly the exact same build for a while, the only differences being that I'm using the Brimstone set and have also specced Grenado. The damage is very nice but, due to the low point investment in masteries, it's so squishy clearing "endgame" dungeons is extremely challenging.

I've tried levelling up Demo up to 50 and using Brimstone and, even if Fire Strike's damage is lower, it's way more survivable and easy to play.
Could you post a GrimCalc? I'd like to compare/contrast a bit.

I'm finding that the combination of MoE, OFF, and Concussive Bomb grants enough survivability that I don't need to pump masteries for stats yet. (I'll probably be maxing skills until 50 or so anyway, and maxed MSoP will add enough protection that I could probably get away with a fairly low mastery investment - I'll be shooting for 25D/50A with a cap of 75)

Last edited by Xeilua; 12-17-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeilua View Post
Could you post a GrimCalc? I'd like to compare/contrast a bit.

I'm finding that the combination of MoE, OFF, and Concussive Bomb grants enough survivability that I don't need to pump masteries for stats yet. (I'll probably be maxing skills until 50 or so anyway, and maxed MSoP will add enough protection that I could probably get away with a fairly low mastery investment - I'll be shooting for 25D/50A with a cap of 75)
Sure, here are the links :
- original version ( without skill modifiers )
- original version ( with skill modifiers )
- Brimstone version ( without skill modifiers )
- Brimstone version ( with skill modifiers )

After rereading your post ( I had skim read it at first ^^'), there are actually a few more differences in the gameplay. For instance, I don't use OFF, nor do I use Concussive Bomb ( I actually wanted to try it, but I started levelling another character and forgot about it ), so maybe that's why I've had some issues with survivability. I'll try both of them later.

I've been entirely focusing this build and my character's gear on Fire/Physical damage and OA, and am trying to get her as many "of Desolation" items as I can for the Fireball procs.
I also use Grenado as my RMB skill. Things die pretty fast, thanks to the sick AOE damage, procs and crits, and if things turn badly and I'm getting swarmed I usually pop either MSoP or MoE, throw a Grenado/Cannister at my feet, and then proceed to run away from melee range.
The biggest problem I've had with this build is SoT, because of all the tanky/reflective/cc-heavy mobs which like spawning right under my feet and or blinking right on me. It's not rare that I end up being swarmed with everything on cooldown and die.

I'm actually enjoying it as is, because I like glass cannon builds, but it's sometimes a bit frustrating getting oneshot or swarmed without being able to do anything.

So I've tried maxing the Demo mastery and getting Brimstone. It's way more survivable, it still has some nice damage ( although less than the original one ), but frankly I find it a bit boring.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Praetorian

Interesting, thanks for the GrimCalc links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuranosuke View Post
For instance, I don't use OFF, nor do I use Concussive Bomb ( I actually wanted to try it, but I started levelling another character and forgot about it ), so maybe that's why I've had some issues with survivability. I'll try both of them later.
Yep, that's definitely the problem. Hard CC is incredibly useful on ranged characters. This is a major reason why I deleted this build's Pyromancer counterpart - it had no hard CC. (CoF and Flashbang are poor alternatives in comparison to OFF and CB)

Due to OFF's fire resistance reduction, you also could combo OFF + CB.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:36 AM
Herald

Quote:
You're welcome.

Quote:
Yep, that's definitely the problem. Hard CC is incredibly useful on ranged characters. This is a major reason why I deleted this build's Pyromancer counterpart - it had no hard CC. (CoF and Flashbang are poor alternatives in comparison to OFF and CB)

Guess I'm going to get that CB's transmuter then. I'm not too fond of OFF in a ranged build, it feels a bit... well... off.

Also, dunno if I've missed it, but which relic are you using on this build ? I currently have Conflag for the skill bonuses, but since I'm not even using the active I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't instead get Inferno or even Calamity. :/
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Supporter

Quote:

The build idea is nice, you got me convinced for a very good aoe devastation.

However, i really want to know how is your single target dps (aka endgame bosses) and also how is your chance to hit those bosses because this build needs a lot of spirit for the elemental damage but still needs loads of cunning because you got Firestrike+Explosive strike maxed and using them as main attack.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:15 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neloangelo View Post
The build idea is nice, you got me convinced for a very good aoe devastation.

However, i really want to know how is your single target dps (aka endgame bosses) and also how is your chance to hit those bosses because this build needs a lot of spirit for the elemental damage but still needs loads of cunning because you got Firestrike+Explosive strike maxed and using them as main attack.
Cool!

My single-target damage is very good. Heroes melt and bosses usually don't last very long, especially since I can just pop MoE and go to town. If you're worried about a lack in OA/Spirit, I'd advise maxing Inner Focus - that skill's got you covered.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Cool!
especially since I can just pop MoE and go to town.
Can u please explain what do u mean by that? Cause i m sure i understand this wrong.

Also is it possible to provide a video where u kill Darius or Kilrian or Voldrak (in veteran ofc)?

Thanks a lot!
Closed Thread