Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 AM
Counsel

Wink (M)ature or (T)een?

hopefully this game gets a (T)een rating
so my 9 year old cousin will be old enough to play it next year

Last edited by commando450; 11-23-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Speaker

Not so loud man, I can hear you just fine.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Praetorian

Uhm..no - rejected!

Didn't you get the memo, it's GRIM Dawn, with EXPLODING GIBS and DECAPITATIONS and ZOMBIES.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASYLUM101 View Post
Uhm..no - rejected!

Didn't you get the memo, it's GRIM Dawn, with EXPLODING GIBS and DECAPITATIONS and ZOMBIES.
^

who pays attention to ratings?

it is better to die for the emperor then to live for your self.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Counsel

Some parents pay attention. If you give a kid an M-rated game... you better be prepared to be yelled at.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Herald

As long as kids are educated and know the difference between "real" and "pretend", I don't really see an issue. I've been playing games with lots of "virtual blood and gore" since the genesis/turbographx-16 days and I never got into any trouble growing up. It's a hot topic on occasion by many non-gamers looking to start a fight though.

Like just about everything else, parenting is about being involved and being there to guide and assist your child. I say this as a parent myself.

I don't think Crate will worry too much about what rating category their game falls into. I certainly hope we get their complete vision and not some watered down media friendly one anyway.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardiophylax View Post
As long as kids are educated and know the difference between "real" and "pretend", I don't really see an issue. I've been playing games with lots of "virtual blood and gore" since the genesis/turbographx-16 days and I never got into any trouble growing up. It's a hot topic on occasion by many non-gamers looking to start a fight though.

Like just about everything else, parenting is about being involved and being there to guide and assist your child. I say this as a parent myself.

I don't think Crate will worry too much about what rating category their game falls into. I certainly hope we get their complete vision and not some watered down media friendly one anyway.
Nooooooooooooooooooooo.......

Now you've gone and done it. Just by making a comment like that you've opened the floodgate for discussion!
*Prepares for the worst aquiring fire exstinguishers and full riot gear*

Anyway...

As far as ratings go Grim Dawn it's definately an M-Rated game. Bring on the blood and gore!

Legendary Supporter upgraded to Boxed Deluxe Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I play for grass of course!
  Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8  
Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Crate Employee - Designer

It is hard to say what the rating might be since people seem to have strangely varying ideas of what material is most sensitive. My guess is that it will probably be mature but it may not be as people tend to be less sensitive about violence than sexual content. TQ actually originally hit store shelves with a mature rating due to sexual content... What sexual content? I guess they thought the nymph nature pet was too scantily clad even though there are no nipples or anything showing and she's 4 centimeters tall on-screen. Sadly, in the puritanical U.S., sex seems to be far more offensive to people than violence.

My personal take, which I guess is largely irrelevant as far as actual ratings go, is that it is the context that matters most. When I was young, conflict in games tended to be very clear. You were always a good character fighting evil and that is what most kids wanted to be. Now we live in a morally murky world of anti-heroes and likable villains. As an adult, I think that can add interest to the story of a game or movie. The world seems to have become too cynical for the type of simplistic conflicts that existed in games and movies of decades past. However, I have to wonder what effect this has on children.

I could probably write a dissertation on this subject but my point is simply that parents should probably worry less about gibs and more about the context of violence. I mean, what is worse? Exploding a zombie into an exaggerated shower of fleshy bits or driving over pedestrians / beating up innocent people even if there is no blood?

I don't think semi-abstract violence against hordes of evil monsters in a "loot em up" should warrant the same rating for violence as the more realistic violence against innocent people that is possible in some first-person or over-the-shoulder third-person games with real-world settings.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Advocate

Kids grow up one day. Later they will be happy with it.

Core hack & slash (ex-TQ) fan base prefer Mature, 18+ rate. It's the pure truth.

Gold Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGP4LT_cYo&hd=1
Silver Reward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhioIlUz0Q
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
It is hard to say what the rating might be since people seem to have strangely varying ideas of what material is most sensitive.
I hope it has an M rating. Little gibs flying through the air! Crippled zombies exploding on impact! YES! YES! DEAD BODIES FLOATING ON WAVES OF BLOOD AND GORE!
Closed Thread

Tags
blood & gore