Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Early Access > Gameplay Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which difficulty level looks like more fun to play?
Standard Grim Dawn. 227 46.14%
More difficult Grimmer Grim Dawn. 175 35.57%
Neither, i would like to see something in between. 77 15.65%
Neither, they both look too hard for me. 13 2.64%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Praetorian

Default Which Difficulty level would you rather play?

This poll is not endorsed by the developers but it's result may be of interest to them nevertheless.

i bring to the community 2 gameplay vids of a run through the same area with the same character but at 2 different difficulty levels.

The first is standard b15 Grim Dawn.
The second is b15 Grimmest Dawn difficulty mod from one of the forum members.

i would really like to hear the communities opinion on which difficulty level looks more fun to play or which difficulty level they would prefer to play.

Judging from what you can see in the vids do you think Grim Dawns difficulty level should be harder than it is now or remain where it is now?

i am not necessarily advocating that normal difficulty should be at the same level as the second vid but i would like to gauge whether you think it could use a boost judging from what you see on the vids.

1. Standard Grim Dawn http://youtu.be/hkDSp8tkFTQ

2. Grimmer Grim Dawn
http://youtu.be/dTn5wXLFvOw

Note, that the character build is fairly fragile and was chosen for this reason, to give a fair indication of the amount of difference between the 2 difficulty levels. Toward the end of the 2nd vid you can see that it takes a bit of concentration to keep the build alive. whereas the same area in the first vid presents no real challenge at all.

Edit: Vids are now live. Thank you for your patience.

Notice: Please note that the increased difficulty level is not generally availible because it is still in its testing stage and it is not part of the standard game play experience. It is presented only for the sake of comparison.
Once again I remind everyone that this is a private poll by a fellow community member and is not endorsed by the developers. Results from this poll may have no impact on the games development.

Showing some support.Now the grim owner of -
3X Digital 2 X Pioneer 3X Patron 1X Loyalist Support Packs

Last edited by sunandsteel71; 12-08-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Counsel

Drat,I'll be in bed by the time they convert.

east coast Aus time too.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Praetorian

Woah did you get this person's permission to put this up?

I was really tempted to make references to the mod but didn't because I respect the creator of the mod and that showing people that I was participating in the testing of it (or enjoying it) would make other's jealous even though it might be surfacing in B16.

Edit: I'll choose keeping the difficulty as it is and simply allow modding to increase the difficulty. It is only Act 1 and a mere introduction to the game in which first timers may yet find the game difficult. Most people who complain that GD is too easy are people who played the game already.

Normal should be normal and relatively easier. Let other difficulty levels add to the challenge.

2nd Edit: Did you vote in the poll? Because from what I see in your post you want to abstain from taking sides when it comes to what is right with the difficulty of the game.

Currently in awe of the caster armor

Last edited by jiaco; 12-08-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Praetorian

Current B15 is too easy. Even without investing any attributes or skills you can still run through most of act 1. So I'd like to see something in between Grimmer Dawn and current B15 as normal mode to begin with.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibly View Post
Current B15 is too easy. Even without investing any attributes or skills you can still run through most of act 1. So I'd like to see something in between Grimmer Dawn and current B15 as normal mode to begin with.
Define 'most of act 1' and 'can run'.

I tried it just to see and made it to the second portal and level 11 that way, but by then it was rather tedious and took some time to kill mobs. This is neither most of act 1, nor is it a 'run', more of a slog - unless you consider walking past most mobs to be the goal here...

The first ten levels are relatively easy, difficulty goes up after that and for the most part is fine if you go for self-found. Twinked uber-builds should not be the standard for the difficulty of the game.

Yes, if you max some skills early it makes act 1 relatively easy, but that does not mean that it is too easy, you just chose a build that shines in it (one skill wonder) over a more versatile build.

Last edited by mamba; 12-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Acolyte

I haven't got a lot of time and in Titan Quest the highest I have reached and was willing to reach was finishing epic. Legendary was too hard, this may sounds whinny but seriously, to get through Legendary you NEED to farm for good gear and you need you be able to have perfect understanding or every skill you are using. Not to mention gold for the armor that costs like a million each piece.
If Standard GD is normal and Grimmier GD is Legendary, I would like to see something in the middle Like GrimmierButNotSoGrim GD

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMasked View Post
Woah did you get this person's permission to put this up?

I was really tempted to make references to the mod but didn't because I respect the creator of the mod and that showing people that I was participating in the testing of it (or enjoying it) would make other's jealous even though it might be surfacing in B16.

Edit: I'll choose keeping the difficulty as it is and simply allow modding to increase the difficulty. It is only Act 1 and a mere introduction to the game in which first timers may yet find the game difficult. Most people who complain that GD is too easy are people who played the game already.

Normal should be normal and relatively easier. Let other difficulty levels add to the challenge.

2nd Edit: Did you vote in the poll? Because from what I see in your post you want to abstain from taking sides when it comes to what is right with the difficulty of the game.
The mod is merely used as a comparison, so the community has something to gauge the current difficulty level against, it is not generally availible because it is still in testing.

Showing some support.Now the grim owner of -
3X Digital 2 X Pioneer 3X Patron 1X Loyalist Support Packs
Old 12-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
I haven't got a lot of time and in Titan Quest the highest I have reached and was willing to reach was finishing epic. Legendary was too hard, this may sounds whinny but seriously, to get through Legendary you NEED to farm for good gear and you need you be able to have perfect understanding or every skill you are using. Not to mention gold for the armor that costs like a million each piece.
I disagree, in TQ the first difficulty was the hardest, epic was easier and legendary was about on par with epic.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Campaigner

Standard GD is quite hard enough. If people want harder then let them use mods. Any tougher and the player base will become too small to be economically sustainable.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Advocate

I'm passing on voting, but will just question in passing. Is it really fair to gauge the difficulty of the game?

All we have is the very first section and I'm guessing that most people posting here are experienced TQ players and have also run multiple numbers of chars through this area and know the builds and skill tree backwards.

I just feel it's hard for very experienced and knowledgeable players to remember what it was like with their very first char, when they didn't know where everything was and how all the skills etc worked.

Surely leave increased difficulty to the mods?

Just my passing thoughts.

Tags
difficulty