Old 07-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Counsel

Default Forum Name Explanations

Let's have 'em! I'm really curious why people chose the forum names they chose. Why medierra? Why Rhis? Subshape? Void? Everyone?

I'll start with mine:

I've used this name ever since WoW. It's Greek for "Ready to fight." It was my warrior's name on that game and it felt fitting. It also appears to be a name people have a hard time spelling right. You won't believe how often I get Cordian.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Lord Advocate

I first used Renevent in Asheron's Call 2...don't really know why but it sounded mean and awesome. Actually, I used to go by Revenant which means the undead or something, but in another game it was already taken so I used Renevent instead.

I also go by KnuckleHead which is just a term from the military I always thought was comical.

Damn privates...nothing but a bunch of knuckle heads!

Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renevent View Post
I first used Renevent in Asheron's Call 2...don't really know why but it sounded mean and awesome. Actually, I used to go by Revenant which means the undead or something, but in another game it was already taken so I used Renevent instead.

I also go by KnuckleHead which is just a term from the military I always thought was comical.

Damn privates...nothing but a bunch of knuckle heads!

Heh, I always wondered why you had the name knucklehead on steam.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Champion

Hmm, originally I thought it meant "Mischief maker". Basically I took, in bastardized form, from Malfeasance. Rigging a contest, or intentionally loosing for some benefit, etc. In some games it's used as a name for hell.

I kept getting confused with Morpheus when the Matrix came out.

I've been using it since I started playing Diablo 1. Ah poor sorcerer malpheas, died in hell difficulty when an inventory full of mana potions couldn't save you.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Champion

Void(null) or Void(0) is a Javascript call that stops a program from enacting its normal behavior, it can be used by a programmer in creative ways but it can also be an accidental side effect when you break something. Kind of like Return 0 in C++.

I started using it in a series of ambiguous usernames.

For example:

City of Heroes @Globally Hidden
GFWL: User Account
Forums: Void(null)

As an interesting side effect, on occasion Void(null) will break a forums registration system and I will be left with a user account that is functional for lurking but isn't correctly in the system so I cant post, but the account also cant be deleted via script and has to be disabled manually.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Playtester

It sounded awesome to my 12-year old self and was easy to shorten to ZZS in arcades. Originally the name was longer, but I'm loathe to actually write it anywhere anymore in its original form. It's retarded enough as it is. However, as I'm yet to encounter anyone else using the same nick and have used it for so long, it'll just have to do.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Praetorian

Well.. there's not much to say besides my old, 12-year old self had the alias of "Spoon", which wasn't very intimidating, so I changed it up a bit to fit my personality when I was 15. Now, it doesn't fit my personality but I still like the name. Short, to the point, has a bit of meaning to it, and is a bit creepy. (not the word itself, but the place)
Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Supporter

I've had a few names over the years.

This current one is based around a nickname I had once (Panthro, after the thundercat), had to rely on nicknames because there are too many Andys in the world.

No one calls me Panthro very much these days though, but I kept it for certain parts of the internet.

I have other names I use for game characters, although I tend to reserve them for offline use only.

At one point I went by the name ICI Bill (on Ultima Online, amongst other places). I tend not to use that name these days. It was based on a chemical factory for not much reason really.

@ZZSmufa: I tended to use IDG in arcades, or IDGAS if it gave me the room. It was short for "I don't give a shit", which seemed clever to a younger me.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Emissary

Kluga is my last name...lol. Its very uncommon so its often not taken as a login or username on various websites by the time I get to them. It just sounds weird and its a word people haven't really heard before. The only exception to this would be on steam where I've recently changed my gamertag to "Icarus". I'm very interested in Greek mythology and his story is quite cool.

Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/klo0ga
Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Counsel

Basically, 'Zidders' came from me using 'Zidaya' as my name in Second Life, 'Zidaya' came from a guild I was in in Everquest for a few years, and it was originally my way of paying tribute to all the fun times. Eventually, 'Zid' or 'Zidders', as my friends in the SL furry community called me, became my nickname irl.

ZiddersRooFurry is my steam name.

'Zidaya' itself came from...I think...some Tad Williams novels. I think it means 'Children of' or child of 'light', in the language the elves in his books spoke.
Closed Thread

Tags
community, forum use