Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 04-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Acolyte

Default (Caster) [1.0.5.1] Cold Flames of Ignaffar - Mage Hunter

I’ve been playing Grim Dawn for (too) many hours on DAIL and Grimquest mods. Since AoM, I came back to the « real » game and fell in love with the Inquisitor mastery. Mage Hunter was my first toon past expansion and I never really found a build that suits me. I tried many variations though : WPS Dual Pistols, Elemental AAR, Panetti, Trozan/Storm etc. And then the Farath’s Cube dropped and I gave it a try. And I loved it.

GRIMTOOLS:

GRIMTOOLS

GAMEPLAY:

Roaming around the worldmap and in dungeons, Word of Pain + Storm of Elgoloth get rid of trash mobs. Flames of Ignaffar finishes the remaining foes off.

In boss fights, put an Inquisitor Seal under you and the boss, apply your DoT’s and cast Flames of Ignaffar. You can face-tank Valdaran and Fabius without any sweat for instance.

For defensive purposes, you have no passive circuit breaker but many active tools at your disposal : World of Renewal, Horn of Gandarr, Mirror of Ereoctes, Nullification and Touch of Purity.

Kitting is not this build’s strong suit because (1) no gap closer, (2) relatively short range of Flames of Ignaffar. With a little correct positioning, you can easily take down Kuppa and the Mad Queen.

Energy issues : none.

EQUIPMENT:

The only mandatory item is obviously Farath’s Cube.
Not mandatory, but strongly recommended is the Relic : Ignaffar’s Combustion.

NB : I couldn’t find the right prefix/suffix on grimtool, so here are my green items.

DEVOTION:

Full Green and Purple to get all the 3 powerful elemental constellations from the bottom.

Wayward Soul (Chariot of the Dead) for some sustain.
Elemental Storm (Rhowan’s Crown) linked to Word of Pain.
Elemental Seeker (Blind Sage) linked to Flames of Ignaffar.
Arcane Currents (Attak Seru) linked to Storm of Elgoloth.
Whirlpool (Leviathan) linked to Inquisitor Seal.

MASTERY AND ATTRIBUTES:

I went 50/50 in Arcanist because of a lot of build testing. You can cut 18 points and strengthen any ability you might find useful.
All in Physique but 5 points in Spirit (I also keep 2 points in Cunning to be able to switch to my beloved Dual Guns).

LEVELING:

Inquisitor has really easy leveling with Word of Pain/ Storm of Elgoloth for damage and Word of Renewal/Inquisitor Seal for sustain.

The Devotion path is straightforward, no twist. Rush Elemental Storm and Wayward Soul. Then fill the constellations from North to South.

When reaching Ultimate and level 94, you can switch to Flames of Ignaffar.

CONCLUSION:

Visually appealing (all blue and white, cold and lightning, storm and freeze) and smooth gameplay.
Good overall defence and damage but no circuit breaker and no burst.

I hope you’ll like it !
Old 04-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Acolyte

(reserved)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Initiate

Hey, I am by no means an expert on ignafar builds but isn't your OA/DA too low? I mean you have decent crit damage but with that low OA you barely crit at all. Increasing OA by few hundreds should disproportionally increase your overall damage output. You can afford to sacrifice a lot of HP in order to achieve that.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphicrates View Post
Hey, I am by no means an expert on ignafar builds but isn't your OA/DA too low? I mean you have decent crit damage but with that low OA you barely crit at all. Increasing OA by few hundreds should disproportionally increase your overall damage output. You can afford to sacrifice a lot of HP in order to achieve that.
You're completely right. The 4 slots in jewelry could be changed in that view. I don't have much of a choice though, regarding my collection now

And, as a former MMORPG player, I'm tend to trust the famous "a dead DPS doesn't DPS".
Old 04-08-2018, 11:36 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzzzz View Post
You're completely right. The 4 slots in jewelry could be changed in that view. I don't have much of a choice though, regarding my collection now

And, as a former MMORPG player, I'm tend to trust the famous "a dead DPS doesn't DPS".
I don't know why you're using FoI without cast speed focus. Max mental alacrity. Restless remains on gloves. Probably a devotion change. Also, on OA issue, Survivor's ingenuity/sylvarria's essence on ring/amulet. Use augments with bleed res to cap with loss of ring/ammy augments. Chains of oleron on chest. Once you get blueprint for ugdenbog leather put it on belt. Also runebound topaz on rings, seal of annihilation on amulet once you get them.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x1x1x2 View Post
I don't know why you're using FoI without cast speed focus. Max mental alacrity. Restless remains on gloves. Probably a devotion change.
Because I'm stupid and didn't check if it scaled with casting speed. I was under the false impression that it had the same mechanics as DOT.

Quote:
Also, on OA issue, Survivor's ingenuity/sylvarria's essence on ring/amulet. Use augments with bleed res to cap with loss of ring/ammy augments. Chains of oleron on chest. Once you get blueprint for ugdenbog leather put it on belt. Also runebound topaz on rings, seal of annihilation on amulet once you get them.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try that tonight.

About my devotion: is something like this more adequate ? There's only 2 nodes with casting speed apparently (Oklaine's lanterne and Jackal).

devotion link
Old 04-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Supporter

Today i started my own magehunter and like you i got the idea by the dropping of Farath's Cube.
I ask myself if cast speed has an impact on ignafaar but seems to be not the case. Which way i am able to see ingame which abilitys be influenced by casting speed. There is nothing written in the game guide about that?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagumoAD View Post
Today i started my own magehunter and like you i got the idea by the dropping of Farath's Cube.
I ask myself if cast speed has an impact on ignafaar but seems to be not the case. Which way i am able to see ingame which abilitys be influenced by casting speed. There is nothing written in the game guide about that?
With AAR, you stack casting speed. For FoI, I wasn't able to find the answer but logically it would work the same as FoI and it seems to be the case from my testing the past week. Maybe an FoI expert (Chthon ?) could make a comment.

I made some minor changes in the build (devotions and equipment) focusing on OA/DA and casting speed. I was able to take down Lokarr without dying but it wasn't a walk in the park! (I don't understand when I have the -DA debuff on me).

I have now 11K health, 2900 OA, 3100 DA and 180% casting speed. I'll update the thread after testing some other equipment set-ups.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Acolyte

AAR link
Proof of AAR and casting speed. and both AAR and FoI have "0.3 Second Skill Recharge", so ...
Old 04-17-2018, 08:47 PM
Supporter

Don't want to sound offend, but why it is a proof if an info is written on a wiki in the internet? And why isn't the description on FoI the same?

I want to believe it and it sounds comprehensible but for me this isn't a proof.

Tags
mage hunter