Old 05-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Counsel

Post [MOD] The Coronus - Standalone Mastery

THE CORONUS

version 1.6.2
17/06/2017

Since AoM was released, there is no reason for me to update this mastery or continue to balance it. The core vision and skills (kinda) of this mod is available in the Necromancer. You're free to take the source files and work on it yourself if you want, but if you want to share it publicly please ask for permission (which I'll probably grant but, just as a matter or principe).

Thank you for playing this mod, I had a lot of fun working on it. Also a big thank you to all who helped shaping it.

__________________________________________________ ______________
Introduction to the mastery
"Learning from the Order of Death Vigils and other masters in the art of summoning, the Coronus were a small group of people who wanted to gain more knowledge enveloping all forms of summoning.
Quite experienced, they can summon the essences of the dead and otherworldly creatures to their aid to defend themselves in battle. Until the Grim Dawn, not once did they made themselves known to the public."

The Coronus is a summoning/attacking-focused mastery. Having many summons at your disposal, from a strong skeleton tank wearing heavy armor (well, not straight away) to skeleton warlocks. Yes, not very original, but there's also archers. Not the best but it's not like there's 5 necromancers for GD already. The Coronus is a master in the art of wielding 2 Handed melee weapons with great strength, as well as 2 handed ranged weapons. Yeah I can't get any more PR trash with this description.
Skills and augments
The mastery is equipped with a multitude of skills, ranging from the simple summon, passing the aura that make you able to raise the undead on kills to the 2 Handed passive ability, melee or ranged, that simply augments your damage by a hefty amount. There's also the possibility to lower your own damage but empower all minions rampaging with you.

Here are some skill icons without their augments. The purpose of this is to make the thread beautiful and show my custom icons right in your face.

The video here covers the available skills in v1.5.1 of this mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azFPbxw0jqU
Your summons
The Coronus can either choose to summon unique powerful undead beings or weaker but more numerous undead warriors and archers. Or everything at the same time.

As you level them up, Abaddon will upgrade weapons and Grigori will change outfits.

At maximum level they all receive a noticeable upgrade in equipment, which you can see in the "squad" picture of this thread. You know they're a really cool bunch, very helpful, like they don't fear death. I'm not sorry.

Something to note is that most summons will have a chance to equip a different weapon/shield every time they are summoned. Though you don't really notice it and in the end, it doesn't matter much.

And here's your T9 summon in all his splendor, Remains

Items
There's a few of them, opted for the easy way out by making a few +Coronus skills, though there's more variation than that don't worry. You'd only know about them if you read the patch notes, somehow I never included them in this post. So here's how to get them (which is pretty thematic):
  • Kill High Priest Zarthuzellan (Steps of Torment), he'll drop accessories.
  • Kill Executioner Alkamos (Steps of Torment, last boss), he'll drop the rest along with the possibility for a legendary.

Caution if you use this mastery as mod by itself: DO NOT choose the empty class! You won't be able to get the fuck out of the window. You can exit to menu to fix it though. Once again, this is a standalone mastery. If you wish to use the Coronus as a 10th mastery or something, you're going to have to change a few files. I'll try to do that once the new DLC hit, so don't worry too much about it. Not like you should care when you got DAIL. Once the expansion releases, I'll have to fix that bitch up.

Now if you are interested in trying out the mod, here is the download link:

NEXUS MODS
MEGA - Alternate download
Grinninglich's website - Alternate download

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THAT GOES INTO THE MODS FOLDER

Some things about the next version:

Kathanious provided me with the custom template used in the Engineer mastery, and now the Coronus can hold up to 99 fucking abilities. Well there won't be that much but hey, that's cool.

ETA for 1.6.1: Whenever. It'll be fixes and stuff if needs be. If there's no need then expect at least one new skill for 1.7.0.

For those interested in looking in the insides of this mod and make your own changes and maybe even "merge" it with another, here is the working folder:

Mega link (v0.1.0)
Mega link (v0.2.0)
Mega link (v0.3.0) < Starting from this version, all path files are "unique"! (No more Class08!)
Mega link (v0.3.3)
Mega link (v0.4.0)
Mega link (v1.0.0)
Mega link (v1.1.0)
Mega link (v1.1.2)
Mega link (v1.2.0)
Mega link (v1.2.1)
Mega link (v1.3.0)
Mega link (v1.4.0)
Mega link (v1.4.1)
Mega link (v1.5.0)
Mega link (v1.5.1)
Mega link (v1.5.2)
Mega link (v1.6.0)
Mega link (v1.6.2) < Current version

Here is a tutorial on how to merge different mastery mods together: /!\ LINK /!\

Coronus - UNBOUND

Picture source
version 1.3.1 (release 4)

This version of the Coronus is pretty much the OP/Burn down your computer version. For now you got triple summons (even Remains) and a few other skill buffs, as well as overall buffs to the pets bios (more life mostly). The mod is already merged with Grimmest.

The version will always be equal to the Coronus, I'll just add a release number. The unbound version won't be updated as often as the "normal" one (so far that's not the case).

Available on the Nexus as an optional download.

MEGA - Alternate download

Working folder (MEGA download)

Note: I don't know when I'll make a new version for UNBOUND. Maybe towards a "finished" product.

Second post is the changelog.
Third post is about music and why all the skill names are song names because otherwise it would be a waste to not make you discover some good songs.

SHELVED IDEAS:
(you can use these if you like, I won't say anything)
  • A blood golem like in D2 but without the life-link (sadly).
  • A beam skill for Grigori that works like Aether Ray (original Babel idea). Creatures can be retarded and won't use any channeled skills. Maybe one day this will be possible.
  • A poison AoE skill that proc again on kill. Like Contagion from Path of Exile.
  • More items.
  • A blood grenade that spreads a contamination skill (it doesn't work properly, I tried for an entire day)
  • An AoE skill that ticks damage and summons skeletons/whelms at the same time.
  • A "pillar/ghost" that continuously damages one enemy. Since summons tend to die until you have gear, it could be useful.

PLANNED STUFF:
  • A video for the mastery. Coming whenever. In the meantime this video showcase the 2H/summon focus of the Coronus (i.e Skelethon before the merge).
  • Kathanious has been helping the mod to have a better look and feel, but now that's he's somewhere I will take back the flag, but updates are rare now that we're in a good place with the Coronus (are we though?). As long as I live and possess the means to do so, I'll improve this mod in some way. Until we get close to 2.0.0, and then I don't know what will happen.

As for nearly every mod here, if you want to change this mod, make upgrades and whatnot and uploading it, all I ask is to credit me and link to this thread. Thanks a lot lads.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Are the skill icons OC?

Yes and no: I altered all vanilla UI icons to fit my skills as well as creating a few. Those which look like shit are OC.

Is the mastery picture OC too?

Yes (kinda), it's respecting fair use. Here is where it came from: Obsidian. (album by Baths. My favorite is definitely Earth Death) >>> My actual favorite is "Phaedra" but I'm too lazy to change the URL.

Last edited by Somerled; 10-26-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added a "thank you goodbye" note
Old 05-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Counsel

Exclamation Changelog

Changelog

Spoiler!

UNBOUND changelog
Spoiler!

Last edited by Somerled; 06-17-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: 1.6.2 Update
Old 05-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Counsel

Thumbs Up Concerning the skill names.

A bit of a boring story: Ever since I started playing Path of Exile (back in 2013) I always named by characters after song names (before that there were regular ol' plain boring names), and now I decided to use this lack of creativity with skill names for this mod.

So I'm going to go through the names in order regarding my tags file. All will contain a link so you can listen to the song, either on youtube, soundcloud or bandcamp.

One thing you might see is that all songs are far from being the happiest songs, and in fact they're nearly all I've been listening to these past few months. You could assume many things but if you're worried because the songs are about mortality, afterlife, suicide, suffering and other real life things, I'm fine. Saying this because the people who know I'm listening to these themes in music are worried for some reason. Can't enjoy what we love now is that it? Anyway let's stop there before ranting too much.

Title - Artist - Album: some kind of description

Spoiler!

Depending on new skills and changes to existing tags I will update this list and add new things (but never remove).

If you are interested in what shaped those names and maybe what is to come, here's my personal top 50 (as of april 2017):

Spoiler!

Last edited by Somerled; 06-15-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: 1.6.0 release
Old 05-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Herald

Very nice. Going to have to take a look at the new skill bars. I see some extras!!

Will take a gander at it tonight.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Counsel

Default SmartsAJ first man on the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartsAJ View Post
Very nice. Going to have to take a look at the new skill bars. I see some extras!!

Will take a gander at it tonight.
Please tell me what you think of the new skill icons!

And thanks for still supporting the mod
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 AM
Herald

Awake lvl 1 : 2 hit the first hero on NORMAL difficulty. Seems OP to begin off with. (IMO of course)

Started testing it out now. Gonna give updates as I come across the skills.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartsAJ View Post
Awake lvl 1 : 2 hit the first hero on NORMAL difficulty. Seems OP to begin off with. (IMO of course)

Yeah maybe I've made it a bit too strong. It's supposed to mostly be a debuff but I wanted to make it a spell you could use even if you hated pets.

Anywho I'll go off to sleep now. I still got stuff to do for the mod tomorrow besides balance changes! And thanks (yet again) for testing the early levels, please do edit your post!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Acolyte

This is a great mod ! You guys must try it, I really love it !

By Keeping this thread up, I hope you will keep updating the mod and more feed back will come

@Somerled : You have my thanks for sharing it. And hello there ! We meet once again !

Sorry for my english
Old 05-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Supporter

Hello, just want to say that I tried your mod the other day and I love the idea of it.

When I played, the first melee summon was way too tanky for the first level, he literally wouldn't die.

And the mage summon was losing HP to fast (HP Degen) and would require a summoning every hits he would take.

I'm assuming this was changed or more balanced.

I will try this mod further once there is more balance and your idea of the mod is complete.
You're the only mod I have tested
Old 05-16-2016, 01:39 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocking View Post
Hello, just want to say that I tried your mod the other day and I love the idea of it.

When I played, the first melee summon was way too tanky for the first level, he literally wouldn't die.

And the mage summon was losing HP to fast (HP Degen) and would require a summoning every hits he would take.

I'm assuming this was changed or more balanced.

I will try this mod further once there is more balance and your idea of the mod is complete.
You're the only mod I have tested
It's more balanced now. and thanks for your feedback (you too Hardy, nice seeing you here )

It might completely broken in end game if you got the gear for it. As long as it doesn't kill bosses in 2 seconds top it should be okay.
In Vanilla you can kill a hero with a poison-based Witch-hunter build in like, 5 seconds top. It's crazy and with the insane life leech you just don't die.

Speaking of life leech, Abaddon was super tanky because he had an insane amount of it on his slash attack (like 75% IIRC), so he would just not die. Plus he's 500% resistant to stuns. Now if you want to keep your pets healthy you gotta heal 'em.

A little thing about Grigori: Any attack hitting him that removes 5% of his HP will stagger him (normally it's 20% for most common enemies), so if he gets cornered he's gonna have a hard time casting spells. Since pets AI are often dumb he won't think about using his AoE(s) often, and it's just sad. Sadly can't do much for it, just call Abaddon to the rescue, he should taunt most guys with a single basic attack.

I didn't playtest much (got to level ~25) because I wanted to play Cornucopia yesterday, and today I decided to play some Civilization V. So you can guess I didn't work on the mod...

Also I started this mastery because I was disappointed in the lack of power of skeletons in the Necromancy 7th mastery mod of this game - keep in mind I only played the first two versions of this mod, last time I checked he buffed them... IMO there's just not enough "necromancy" in his "necromancer").

Tags
mastery mod, modding, standalone mod