Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 PM
Initiate

I went to the nexus link you posted a few post back but nexus is showing 0 files for the mod, so I can't download anything. I got the file yesterday and I'm really liking the mod, very unique compared to the usual masteries. I love have a variety of ARPGs to play and this mod is definitely giving me a unique experience. I just wanted a version without the weird blue fog, so I was hoping to download this version and see if it was fixed.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:02 AM
Campaigner

This is the final build/ patch for Infinite for now. Fixes the tag errors and exploits. I can now get to work on more lasting content.

http://www.nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/35/?

And yes, it was deleted, because I had broken it, but had to sleep before doing anything to it. I didn't want the bugged/ exploitable version to get spread around.

Thank you VERY much for bringing it to my attention, Alien.

I should note, that while I put Defensive Ability back in, it starts with a -2000 flat ability reduction, and a total -50% afterwards. But you get far more stats to increase it than in vanilla, so Warriors should benefit tremendously, and help balance the gap between ranged and melee.

Last edited by Heathen; 03-25-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Initiate

I finally got to play the newest version. I have to say this mod is a really good benchmark and stress-test for my new PC After several hours of playing on max settings my CPU only reached 52°C max and GPU 67°C max. Almost no stutters.

Ok, now to my evaluation and stuff. Don't get pissed at me or discouraged by the cons^^:

0a. one of my biggest complaints: there are no drops except for soulbound slaves and components! The lack of drops is kind of boring and weird. Components are great though. What sucks for new chars is the lack of iron drops... took me quite a long time to find soulbound slaves to sell. Everything else doesn't give enough iron.
Also it seems a bit pointless to fight strong heroes in lengthy and tricky fights without any rewards. Killing trash levels me faster and gets me more components and SS :/
0b. Where the f*** are potions??? Potions are necessary for gameplay! And even on my melee "tank" I don't have enough health reg... I have more than 100k HP right now and just 1k health reg. Enemies can 2/3shot me and then I have to run away for too long to regen. I do have several ADCTH skills but they're too unreliable. I want my potions back! If you don't want potions then at least give every char a healing skill. Something like 30% heal every 5sec or something.
1. there's still a lot of tag errors, missing names/descriptions/icons on items and skills, even some enemies
2. War: Obliterate only works with dual wield maces. Would be nice to use it with 1 mace as well
3. War: Whirling Strike doesn't work with 1h mace + shield. Tooltip says "melee weapons". My shield char in the previous mod used this skill...
4. War: Warrior's Call tooltip doesn't change when putting points into it
5. Vendors have weak epic items like "Vital Destruction" mace
6. Most items cost 1 iron, some others cost more. Shouldn't all of them cost the same? It's only a problem at the start without money^^
7. No vendor has a selection of belts, rings, amulets and such. I only saw 1 belt and the bag of salt
8. graphic bug: DC at night. Bourbon and some other NPC have a flashing icon above their heads. Also some background effect is flashing a bit. Disappears at daylight.
9. skill descriptions are still the same = inaccurate
10. only level 20 components at the start so new chars only have basic equips
11. "1h Axes/Helmets" NPC in the south of DC doesn't sell anything
12. can't sell equips. Some vendors don't buy anything at all. Buying and reselling works until the vendor refreshes (may be a general GD issue)
13. Spirit guide: no background image, cost display overlaps with the skills. 5k cost is too high for fresh chars (took Obliterate and couldn't use it because of the wrong description AND couldn't respec because no iron). Why not remove the cost? IIRC the earlier versions were free.
14. "Ermac" has too many HP. Took me and my summons maybe 5min to kill him and my damage was decent. I fought him in Milton's house and somehow got stuck inside the doorway. Couldn't do anything until Ermac died.
15. "Yhorm" is even worse. He is too strong and his stun can make a quick escape impossible. Sometimes he stunned me for more than 5sec.
16. some mobs have a lightning skill that stuns and does the same as with Yhorm. Stuns are too strong without res. Freeze seems similarly OP
17. there are far too many "Assassin - pierce resistant" mobs. They pop-up everywhere all the time. They're too strong and even though I have 0 pierce damage they take too long to kill. With other mobs around they become a problem. Multiple assassins = instant death
18. Soulbound assassins drop far too often. I haven't found other soulbound slave rings and I'm level 40. Soulbound amulets have more variety
19. My war character has 0 armor and it doesn't increase at all. If that's always the case you need to change Warband which increases armor = pointless without armor
20. "Enemy boss killed" notices just don't stop when I cleared the Stirring Hive. I guess the Spectral Assassins or whatever are all considered bosses and spawn in hundreds in there.
21. the music gets kind of repetitive and annoying after some time. Doesn't mean it's bad
General question: be careful using other people's music. Copyright can be a pain in the ass. Don't know if the music is copyright-free or something or whether you asked for permission to use. Don't you have to mention the artist somewhere? Just saying so you don't get into legal disputes^^
22. tbh the guardian ally and soulbound slaves were necessary for me to level and survive most of the time. They don't seem to die and they are stronger than me. This is of course an issue but as it is right now you should keep it. Without those pets my melee char would die too often and damage output would be lacking.
Then again maybe I just chose underpowered skills... have to test more and also try other classes. My general idea is to always test a melee tank, ranged fighter, spellcaster and summoner to get an overall feel.

Now the more positive things:
1. components are very interesting and I look forward to testing them out. BTW is there no NPC to recover the components? What I don't really understand are the numbers behind the components. At first I thought it was the number of components I had ((2) overlapped with two components) but then I got some like (1)(2) and got confused. Then I noticed that there are stronger versions, but that doesn't explain multiple ()s. I think I even have 1 with (1)(2)(2)?
2. the different Guardian Ally mods are great. The Theurgist seemed rather useless though, so I switched back to Assassin. I really love the different skills they use.
3. inventory bags from Barrog is nice. Too bad the space isn't really needed with the lack of drops :/
4. the mod runs really good on my new PC and I didn't see any pink fog or whatever there was. But I noticed some areas being far too dark like the prison below DC. Wasn't unplayable like someone else claimed.
5. It's still a bit too fast paced and overloaded with mobs/skill effects for my taste, but it's good fun. I'll try some other classes as well.

Overall I think you introduced some very good new additions. At the same time it feels very different from the older iterations and some things like drops/potions are just missing. And I'm disappointed that you still haven't gone over the skill descriptions to correct them Some skills even have changed requirements that are not in the tooltips.
My wall of text may seem harsh but I still enjoy the mod. But, again, I say that you should work on fixing the existing problems instead of adding new stuff. A solid base is always preferable to a messy base with lots of additional content IMO.

Cheers
Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Campaigner

I can always expect some serious feedback from you, and it's very terrifying, yet helpful at the same time.

The itemizing is working as intended, but you're right in feeling there needs to be more. I plan on making a new tier of them. I'm happy with the way it is for now, but I plan on making a new version of it that focuses on full map completion and end game bosses/ items.

Right now, it's just for theorycrafting builds to lvl 80. Fairly straightforward, but there's still a massive number of builds.

And it's odd you found the Theurgist lackluster, as she easily has the most damage and AoE.

I haven't done any announcing, but i'm currently working on an expansion of sorts. With a new name and more lasting content. I'm fine with the UI for now, and feel it serves its purpose enough (but yeah, the reclaim window will be fixed, that's not ok).

And about the Defensive Ability thing; it has a -2000 initial base, and then a -50% efficiency afterwards. You just need to pump more into strength. It works, and with the excess stats, a mid level warrior will have plenty.

Also, did you download the newest version of the mod? It fixed several tag errors.

Last edited by Heathen; 03-30-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 PM
Initiate

Yes, I did download the latest. Twice even, because I wasn't sure if it really was the updated one

Choosing between all item skins is nice and upgrading equipments via components is interesting. But it doesn't change that gameplay feels lacking without "real" item drops. Especially bosses and heroes should give some reward.
The Yhorm guy for example can take several minutes of hit and run and he dropped nothing (5 times IIRC). At earlier levels one of his hits gets me down to 40% HP, the higher level version always one-shots me (pets never die against him though).
The "Heathen" spawn is even worse. He shoots those projectiles over a wide range always killing me. Again, I have to send in my pets to whittle him/them down over several minutes. Hit and run is not possible as I always die getting closer to him. And after like 3 Heathen kills I got nothing, not even a component... and the exp were pretty low as well, maybe 5% or so...

Theurgist... I used her only a short time with my War melee character. I had two assassins, one amulet summon and then tried all variations of the Guardian Ally.
I don't quite recall all the names, but the assassin was very fast and did amazing damage. The other two fighters were decent to good. The theurgist I didn't like much. She didn't really seek out mobs but kept her orbiting thingies around her = no damage. The other spells I can't judge because I didn't really see damage numbers. I think against the dummy she does DoTs of 1k? Whereas the assassin does 50k/80k per attack.
Just in terms of dps I chose the assassin. My second choice would be the 2handed fighter (berserker I think?). The other guy (barbarian?) was rather weak IIRC.

Yeah, I read about the defense penalty. I pumped physique but still had 0 DA. Then suddenly I had ~100 DA and a few more points in physique and suddenly I had 800 or 1000 DA. Seemed weird how sudden DA changed this much.
But what about armor value?

Build potential is great, I agree. But I'd still like to see some skill description fixes and quality of life changes + healing pots/spells over new content.
About skill descriptions... I only took a glance at the Chaos mastery and noticed that those skills have their requirements clearly written. THIS is what I want for the older masteries
Some skills don't even show what additional points get me (those eyes summons for example).

Cheers
Old 04-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Campaigner

Theurgist should only be casting the spirit orbs when an enemy is close to her, and she will also cast an aoe fear spell when she gets short/ mid. Her damage lies in the Soulwave she uses, a physical DoT which I actually had briefly considered nerfing. But it melts trash and bosses alike.

I've actually attempted to go back in and fix the UI several times, and all those times, I had thought I nabbed the weapon reqs thing. I don't have any untagged skills anymore that requires a specific weapon, though there is likely a skill or two which says it requires a weapon, but the type isn't specified. I dunno, i've went in a couple times to fix, and i'll do so again, but I have a feeling most skills would have obvious reqs.

Obliterate, the dual mace skill, is made entirely around the animation of him smashing his maces together. Without the second mace, it would just be an auto-attack skill, so I can't really see how that would be better.

Because of the nature of the skills, adding items will be a challenge. I like the skills, and some combos are realistically too good to allow, but this is a single player game and rules aren't something i'm about to cater to, and i'm not going to nerf a skill to the point that it couldnt have a build centered around it. But with the classic looting, it would just be too inflated to have items with multiple affixes. It's already pushing the risk of feeling inflated, but that's why I am trying to make it very challenging, but even making it challenging is difficult to do right without making everything a one-shot. And I can't juggle item and skill balance alone, that kind of work would take entire teams, or at least someone who took far more calculative safety measures in the beginning.

Hell, I look at it now, and a lot of the times, I don't even know where to start. But you are absolutely right, and there needs to be something to earn, something worthwhile, and i'll figure it out.

And after Heathen makes an attack, you have 1.2 seconds to phase behind him and strike. He has low hp, you can usually take him out in one shot.

Last edited by Heathen; 04-01-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Initiate

I'll try Theurgist again.

I can't speak for other masteries, but War definitely still needs some rework. Basically all I'm asking for is writing at the end of the descriptions something like: "Can be used with any melee weapon", "Requires a 2H axe", "Requires two maces" etc. Just clear requirements. IIRC in Chaos you did it well

Obliterate: it's fine if it's a dual mace skill, but the "dual" part should not only be in the text about the skill but also the requirement. I took the skill because I read "needs a mace" and thought it would work with a mace+shield.
Thing is.. I always base my character builds on ideas like "I want some lightning caster" or "I want to use a 1h axe and shield with fire+trauma damage" or something like that. With INFINITE I am able to choose my gear even more freely, so I went mace+shield this time (somehow I always neglect maces in GD). Next thing was looking at skills that use these two types. I'd rather use those than generic "usable with any weapon" skills. And the only mace skill was Obliterate.
Well, that's the story

Yeah, balancing really sucks. I think you've done a pretty good job so far. Still I'm not at all a fan of oneshot deaths. I consider those frustrating and unfair. Recently I played vanilla GD and the Diablo3 mod and I just have to compare them with Insanity.
Your mod is quite hyperactive with everything going on and the speed. The other two are far slower but I don't encounter random deaths or oneshots there. Sure, they can exist if your build or gear suck, but in general gameplay is "safe". Insanity has the problem that most mobs are no problem at all and you just continue slaughtering everything and then boom, you're dead. Why? Don't know. Most likely some hero spawned randomly or some boss was just OP. Not to mention that now there are no potions and health reg isn't enough.
The difficulty of vanilla and other mods feel just right IMO.

These days I've been looking at some videos of "The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut" and it reminds me of Insanity. Both share a huge number of mobs, SFX everywhere, high speed and a sort of lack of overview over the action, yet cool skills and interesting gameplay.
If that game weren't 30gb big I'd try it^^

Killing Heathen in one shot? Not really. Also there are at least 3-4 Heathens at once. Somehow I always encounter them in the Rhover camp
Funny that you mention phasing in. My War char didn't have enough energy to warp for quite some time lol. That made things a bit more thrilling.

Oh btw, I think I know why my War char has problems with health. Whenever my HP drop they refill veeeery slowly with constitution. On my summoner my HP refill really fast.
Is it possible that somehow high amounts of constitution + high max HP = constitution disabled/broken?
At least it feels that way...

Cheers
Old 04-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Campaigner

Just watched some gameplay of VH Final Cut, and it does look pretty cool. I won't buy it yet, but it's something i'll have my eye on. Though the in-game animations seemed oddly slow. Not a bad thing really, but lots of FX look almost slow motion.

Also, what I meant by one shotting Heathen was that between his attack delay, you should be able to phase behind him (though you need to do it immediately after he casts the flames) and kill him. Whether you're a multi-hitter or a heavy-hitter build, I pretty much always have the dps to kill him before his next attack. When there are multiple, just wait til they disperse enough to get a phase/ attack in.

Outside of act 1 is really not something i've finished. I mean, some enemies are changed, but I haven't fine-tweaked the enemies outside of act1. But full map balance/ rework is being worked on now, along with replacing the major and minor boss enemies. This next release may be a while from now, but each version from now on will be more polished than the last. I've learned a tremendous amount from 1.9 to Infinite, and i've found my groove for the most part.

I do know the game can be pretty punishing, to downright unfair, but that is sort of what I want. At least to an extent. I want the player to feel stimulated. I want the player to feel like as long as he pays attention, he can annihilate mobs, but if he zones out into a mindless clickfest, he gets punished. If you charge headfirst into enemy hero's/bosses with a character who isn't specifically built to take damage, you should be slain for it. Neo, Heathen, Molticious, and Icivious can be outplayed by some strategy, but they definitely shouldn't be tanked. Some builds can tank a few hits later on, but that's really it. You need to wait for the right time to strike at them. Pure dps builds need to dodge their strikes altogether.

The mod will likely go through several more reworks and changes, til it resembles what I want it to in my little fantasy. I do this because it's something that fulfills something in me. Almost like I get to play the arpg of my dreams everyday, with each day bringing something new, be it a new skill idea I get excited for, or a boss archetype. So you can count on this eventually being molded into, at least to my own personal standards, something truly special.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Campaigner

At some point today, i'll be uploading a patched version of the build. I don't like knowing there are tag errors, and im aiming to correct them.
this patch has more content as well. More allies, monsters, some unique rings, and a few balance changes. Stick around for the next few hours if you want a patch build. I aim to get it done by tonight, and it's 3pm now.
If there is a bug your really want fixed, say something now or ill probably miss it. Only 1-2 bugs per person, 3 if the problems are major, since walls of text are demotivating.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Campaigner

The build has been reuploaded, but the bad news: it's 750mb. I'm convinced some of the errors/ bugs are from my horrible compiling, and until I know what the hell i'm doing, I can't confidently release a smaller version quite yet.

In the process of uploading the final build for INFINITE, and will then begin modding Insanity X. Again, very sorry about the size.
This build offers a number of new allies, new skill rings, new unique rings, and some new enemies.