Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Minister of Information

I have begun to read the Bartimaeus Sequence again. It's a story about a djinni and his young summoner in an alternate London. The adolescent magician is the spice here, as he develops IIRC into quite a presumptuous and condescending character.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Banned User

Trying to finish Debunking Economics. The math makes my head hurt and I'm suspicious of political bias coloring the author's writings.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisprinzessin View Post
I have begun to read the Bartimaeus Sequence again. It's a story about a djinni and his young summoner in an alternate London. The adolescent magician is the spice here, as he develops IIRC into quite a presumptuous and condescending character.
The first book (Amulet of Samarkand) is free for prime members on Amazon (kindle edition) - just downloaded it, and will have to check it out!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:51 PM
Minister of Information

Lucky you
Old 11-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Campaigner

lawl, another victim has fallen to my rapacious hunger (and helped by insomnia) for books.

The victim: https://www.amazon.com/Places-Darkne...dp/B06Y16K2QV/

To put it bluntly - f*cking brilliant read. Starts off as a sort of police procedural involving the first murder in mankind's first city in space with the protags being the new world government boss in charge of oversight for the city's corporate police force, Alice, and it's most corrupt cop, the infamous Nikki "Fixx". With each having alternating chapters. Oh and there's a nice disturbing thread involving the neuroscience of free-will and the implications of technology that allows for the editing of memories. Along with a f*ckton of corruption and why it's there along with a murderer that seems inhumanly lethal.

Also, it's a lot more approachable that Neuropath (it's not a thriller, it's a f*cking horror novel) or the dense and diamond hard sci-fi of Peter Watts' Blindsight and Echopraxia novels.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:34 AM
Campaigner

*buuuuuuuurp*

Now eaten:

Noumenon by Marina J Lostetter. Sadly pretty bland semi-bog standard sci-fi. Could have gone the Alastair Reynolds route with certain elements but instead ends up doing not much with the big stuff introduced.

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett. F*cking awesome, couldn't stop reading it and so ended up not getting to sleep until 4am in the morning -_- Currently on the second book in the series, City of Blades and finding it just as awesome.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Supporter

Been reading Ward, which is a sequel to Worm. It's pretty awesome.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Campaigner

Braaaaaains

I'll admit it, I have a problem. Namely, if I get hooked on a good book I wont stop reading it until I can't keep my eyes open. Which is how I chewed through the other two books that followed on from City of Stairs yesterday and this morning. About 600 pages in the space of 10 hrs.

Me want to sleep at some point...

At least though I can confirm that the Divine Cities trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett is on my list of stuff I will avidly re-read and very definitely deserves every high rating review all three books got.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Initiate

Currently, I am reading All the birds in the sky by Charlie Jane Anders. It's a very interesting book for now!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Supporter

Clara Morgan and the seven dwarf , Grimmiixx 's tales XD