Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Totally Random

Old 04-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Praetorian

Default What books are you reading?

We have music thread. So why don't we have this one, right?

Anyway, currently reading Barsum Anthology of Burroughs. Great read, flows very easy from the beginning to the end. Each books gives something new, and I especially like the exploration and adventure feeling they provide.
I'm also a sucker for romances in my fantasies, so that's also a nice addition. Started to read it, since I really liked the movie.

What are YOU reading guys? How's the book, can you give a small review about it?

Cadence falls on the skull,
It cracks with a thunderous roar,
A Raging Beast in pain.
It screams, it tears the flesh, it crushes the bones...
With the Force of a thousand Bulls,
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Last edited by Autentist; 04-29-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Minister of Information

I recently finished the Artemis Fowl series. Artemis is a genius adolescent of our modern world, who finds out that fairies have gone into hiding under the earth. Subsequently he brings adventure to them and vice versa. The series is a wild ride of crazy ideas - featuring e.g. very unique dwarfs, who do not dig, but eat themselves through the earth ... with all the digestive consequences. The narrative perspective switches from time to time between the characters - including the antagonists, so that you learn about them and their misdoings pretty early, which speeds up the stories' pace.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Praetorian

I'm working on some nice, peaceful bedtime stories...

Spoiler!

Also a couple Tom Clancy books.

Oh, uh, stuff about them...

Tom Clancy - military thrillers.

https://www.tomclancy.com/book_displ...=9780425184226

https://www.tomclancy.com/book_displ...=9780425101070

Lovecraft - happy stories.

Quote:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Last edited by Ceno; 04-29-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Praetorian

A little old. Grabbed it while at Goodwill since it looked interesting.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Campaigner

Ate through Masha Gessen's The Man Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladmir Putin recently, nice and disturbing.

Before that was Charles Stross two books Accelerando and Glasshouse, as Accelerando is a "nice" antidote to the singularity-humpers, while I hadn't read it's quasi-sequel, Glasshouse in ages.

Next up is A Close and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers, since I enjoyed The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. After that, might re-read, for the first time in over a decade, Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells. Since I enjoyed it quite a bit last time, but never found in the local library system. Lets hope it hasn't aged as badly as Ian Irvine's books, which I now find a annoying as hell to read.

Beyond that lies The Delirium Brief, sequel to The Nightmare Stacks - Nazi elves with death magic invade Leeds, only a nerdy, ex-banker quant, now public servant, vampire PHANG* can stop them - from the mad mind of Charles Stross. Deals with the consequences of said invasion and because it's set in the UK that means dealing with "fun" from the government. Comes out in June and I am so doomed to spend all night reading it in one sitting. Should really re-read The Nightmare Stacks.

Otherwise - as per usual, I haz a massive mound of e-books left unread, since the current depressive episode has lead to my skin picking disorder becoming worse, so not having the hands occupied leads to "fun". But I suspect I'll still chew through a few of the Hugo Awards nominees I haven't already eaten up before the awards are announced.

Oh and on that particular note - N. K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth series kicks serious arse, the Hugo The Fifth Season won was well deserved even despite part of the vote being driven to hit the puppies with a newspaper** and to piss off that racist shitweasel, Theodore Beale as a bonus.

__________________________________________________ ___________
*see The Rhesus Factor for how that all happened, though as per usual Stross gives you enough info in each book to not be left in the dark :P

**google "hugos puppygate" for the details, but basically, certain sad wankers decided to abuse the voting system to get "true" sci-fi/fantasy to win because apparently stuff like Ursula K. Le Guin and such isn't actually "true" sci-fi/fantasy.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Praetorian

Short grim story about the descent of a man into mental ruin.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Initiate

Love reading books, currently reading two at the same time:

and

depending on the mood.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Champion

as a cat lover.. this is my fave!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:09 AM
Campaigner

Now chewed through:

Lovecraft Country - by Matt Ruff. Nice and utterly disturbing blend of Jim Crow era racism, lovecraftian mythos based horror and some damn fine story telling. Actually ate this one before the last post, but due to sleep debt forgot about it after I posted, a bit clunky and guaranteed to make Lovecraft spin in his grave due to not treating african american's like shit.

Winter Tide - Ruthanna Emrys. And the following quote sums up my take on it nicely - "A mythos yarn that totally reverses the polarity on Lovecraft's xenophobia, so that in the end the only real monsters are human beings." ―Charles Stross

Exodus - Alex Lamb. Last book in his trilogy that started with Roboteer. Fucking brilliant, as it had me hooked and reading it all in one go, finishing about 7am NZ time. And if anything, he's gotten even better at writing with the latest book. Some very decent hard-sci-fi bits in there on the problems tinned primates face in space, the fermi paradox and ships that make the Light Huggers from Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space 'verse look tiny.

No idea what I'll read next, though I've "acquired" some non fiction anthropology stuff I should have a look at for boosting my general background knowledge on pseudo-history stuff. As most of the stuff I already know is NZ centric to do with the racist crazies who claim whites made it to NZ first. Otherwise I have plenty of sci-fi/fantasy etc left unread while I wait for The Delirium Brief to drop in July.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:46 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mess View Post
Now chewed through:

Lovecraft Country - by Matt Ruff. Nice and utterly disturbing blend of Jim Crow era racism, lovecraftian mythos based horror and some damn fine story telling. Actually ate this one before the last post, but due to sleep debt forgot about it after I posted, a bit clunky and guaranteed to make Lovecraft spin in his grave due to not treating african american's like shit.
Weird. I didn't even know Lovecraft was overly racist honestly. Searched it up. Found the RationalWiki writeup kinda humorous..

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft
Quote:
What's even more surprising, considering the previous facts, is that he greatly despised the American Republican Party. In a 1936 letter to fellow science fiction writer C. L. Moore, Lovecraft said that their ideas and beliefs deserved "the tolerance and respect one gives to the dead.”[3] Of course, the Republican Party's policies were very different at the time (the Democrats were known for their advocacy of segregation, not that the Republicans were particularly progressive towards ethnic minorities either).
Odd that the author found it "surprising" that he didn't support the Republicans and then goes on to acknowledge that at that time period the Republicans were basically the Democrats of today. They changed places over the years. If he knew that then why did he even write the first sentence?

Maybe needs to work on his rationalization a tad.