Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Developer Discussions

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningYu View Post
That will happen anyway. Look at Runic Games. Consumer | Gamer expect once a Dev. Team made a hit, and they payed for their Product, they own the company basically and like slaves they only have to work for them. It's ironic that these folks are often the first one, who complain that there isn't any kind of innovation or how they sell their soul and have no kind of (own) vision anymore and that's why AAA Products are going down, but once it comes to creative freedom for developer studios and they either try a spinoff or an completly new project, than they jump on the hate train, why they don't stick to their guns, how they go commercial and sell their soul, and so on. That doesn't mean the Gaming-Industry also have it's faults, but if you ask me a huge part also comes with the Gaming-Community and in such Scenarios it shows how much hypocrites a bung of gamers are(and this sadly are often the loudest).

I loved Torchlight 2, but anyone who tried Hob without any bias would've seen that it isn't worse than Torchlight 2, they simply want to work on an different project... but nope i know some folks who are happy that Runic gone down because they come up with "it's their fault to not develope Torchlight 3". And you can be sure, however Crate approach this Situation, even in the best case of scenario there will be more than enough people who hate on Crate because instead of another Expac or Grim Dawn 2 they work on a "shitty, mainstream cashgrab Builder-Game" ....

That's where, in my eyes Crate should try to be not influence by such hating-comments and stand their stance of the new project, because if a dev falter after such an backlash and don't believe in their Game / Product anymore, it will be more problematic.
Honestly, I don't think less of Crate or anything like that for pursuing a different project, it's just extremely unlikely that I play it since I more or less only play arpgs. I'm not sure if other people feel this way, but It feels like crate isn't making a game for their current playerbase, but rather that they're targeting a new audience. However, we won't know for sure until we know more about their town builder game.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom123456 View Post
Honestly, I don't think less of Crate or anything like that for pursuing a different project, it's just extremely unlikely that I play it since I more or less only play arpgs. I'm not sure if other people feel this way, but It feels like crate isn't making a game for their current playerbase, but rather that they're targeting a new audience. However, we won't know for sure until we know more about their town builder game.
I'd rather a new game than a forced sequal tbh. Imo, expansions can keep Grim Dawn alive for a long time, especially since they aren't hosting servers that need continuous maintenance. Additionally making a sequal with the original is thriving splits the player/customer base. At that point creating new content for both games takes twice as long, for less gains.

At least with a new game, they can cut their losses if it isn't successful. Where cutting development on the original to force the sequal would be a disaster. I'm a little curious on how power creep will be handled later down the line.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typheous View Post
I'd rather a new game than a forced sequal tbh. Imo, expansions can keep Grim Dawn alive for a long time, especially since they aren't hosting servers that need continuous maintenance. Additionally making a sequal with the original is thriving splits the player/customer base. At that point creating new content for both games takes twice as long, for less gains.

At least with a new game, they can cut their losses if it isn't successful. Where cutting development on the original to force the sequal would be a disaster. I'm a little curious on how power creep will be handled later down the line.
By the time a GD2 sees the light of day nearly all of GD's "existing" userbase will be more than ready for GD2 as most players will have long since taken to tinkering with mods for the game to sustain interest, or moved on. Worry about "splitting the playerbase" at this juncture is inconsequential.

The subject of further expansions is effectively ruled out as Zantai has been fairly clear the possibilities of it are crazy low EVEN if FG does well. Which tells me Crate overall is not keen about forcing another expac upon the game even if FG blew the roof off. They are looking to wash their hands of it (mostly) and go on to new things. That's the impression I have.

While I do have a heavy slant for "diablo" games it isn't my only interest. I like 4x and city-builder style games, sh'mups, pinball games (PBFX2 & 3) as well as a miscellaneous mish-mash of anything could potentially interest me. No need to completely cordon yourself off from other game types. I'm more than interested to see what they intend to bring to the table.

Last edited by powbam; 02-04-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Tags
crate