Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Initiate

Default Help Fabius Elite (Warder 72)

Hello,

First time poster here with several questions regarding killing Fabius on elite. If this is not the correct place to post these kinds of questions, please point me in the right direction.

On the topic in question: My MC was a sorcerer with barely any resistances but which did a respectable amount of damage. With luck and some kiting I was able to wipe both Chtonian and Aetherian nemesis bosses so I thought I would tackle on Fabius.

I was one-shotted.

Fair enough, sorcerers are glass cannons but I had no legendaries whatsoever and I read that Fabius was the quickest way to purple pants.

I re-rolled a warder, beat both normal and elite without any issues. My resistances are all 80, deffense Rating in the low 2000's and I still got one-shotted.

Two shotted, actually, because Menhir's Will activated first.

My question is this: how can a 2 handed, physical-pierce-bleed warder both out-tank Fabius' bullshit (one on one, no mobs around) AND pack enough punch to overcome his life leech? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Praetorian

Did he spawned with this? http://www.grimtools.com/db/items/1884

It can explain the oneshot. This is pretty much the reason why i avoid farming Fabius and why when i try to, i always take small steps towards his area enough to see him on screen without triggering him and then look at what he has equipped in his hands.

Last edited by Norzan; 07-01-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Initiate

To be quite honest, after he killed me 3 times in a row I stopped trying so, maybe?

What I remember is that his life regen was stupidly fast. I could barely get a dent on him before he topped off.

Still, maybe I need even more defense for my warder? I can post a grimcalc of my character and a few screenshots of my current gear if that would help.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:14 AM
Acolyte

Fabius is generally considered one of the toughest nemeses, especially for squishy casters without proper resistances. Tackling him on at 72 might be a bit ambitious if you're not overly familiar with him. Maybe if you could provide us with a Grimtools link of what your build looks like we can pinpoint anything you might be able to do to improve your chances?

As Norzan mentioned too, Human NPCs are tricky because they can spawn with random weapons, the one he linked is infamous for allowing the bastard to crit oneshot even the tankier builds. Granted, that may not necessarily be your issue because he's a tough customer either way.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Initiate

72 is too low? Well, you learn something new every day. In any case, thank you very much for taking a look at my case.

My char has this distribution (taking into account that I'm wearing plenty of skill boosting items)

grimcalc.com/build/1009-U2Nx0e

And for equipment, besides the greens and blues I use for resistances I'm also wearing:

-Boneweave Leggings
-Touch of the Everliving Groove
-Razorleaf Glaive

All for healing purposes

My resistances are all a flat 80 on elite, except aetherial at 64 (but I still need to slot my gear with components and enchants and whatnot).

The idea I had for this toon was to go full bloodrager and beef my defensive skills with the rest of the gear slots.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Advocate

We are talking about Elite Fabius, not Ultimate, don't we? So 72 is definately not too low to face him.

I guess you are lacking OA, AS, Resistance Reduction, damage and attack damage converted to health to facetank him. What weapon are you wielding?
Additionally it sounds like he crits you, so your DA value would also be interesting to know.

A grimtools.com link would be helpful. Your devotions are looking good, skillwise I'd prefer Cadence over Savagery for physical Warder.

I haven't fought Elite Fabius in months, but he shouldn't be too hard to beat (I think).

Why do you even bother fighting him on Elite? The drop chances from Fabius' Chest are even worse there and your build is not finished yet.

Builds. Runs. Guides.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Initiate

I believed elite dropped legendaries but the rate is so infrequent I might not even bother.

The earlier poster was correct, Fabius had had some sort of OP weapon that gibbed me instantly. I tried again today and, after some effort, killed him in elite a couple of times. No purples though.

In any case, I nutted up and took on Ultimate difficulty. After 30 minutes of game time I got the following legendaries:

-Chausses of Barbaros: https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/ite...es-of-Barbaros

-Wyrmscale Footguards: https://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/ite...ale-Footguards

Also, I maxed out Black Legion and got all the buffs to my sword (oleron's blood and oleron's superior augment).

Alongside the buff provided by my pants and finishing Field Commander I am now feeling confident in my dps.

tl;dr I was being a pussycat and should have started fighting enemies my own size if I wanted the good "lewtz".

P.S. I like The savagery tree because I only have to max 2 nodes (savagery and tenacity of the boar) instead of 3 for the cadence tree. Plus I can get the combo of Field Commander and Tenacity to go along the Bloodrager set.

P.S.S. This is my endgame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE
Old 07-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder_Lalatina View Post
After 30 minutes of game time I got the following legendaries:
You were lucky. I just finished a quick Fabius farm. Got 10 MI shoulders so probably 12-15 kills and got 2 legendary swords and a legendary pistol.

Considering the time taken to find him and the potential difficulty of the fight he really isn't a good source of legendaries. In ultimate it is faster and easier to run round finding and killing random boss spawns.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warder_Lalatina View Post
My question is this: how can a 2 handed, physical-pierce-bleed warder both out-tank Fabius' bullshit (one on one, no mobs around) AND pack enough punch to overcome his life leech? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Focus in DoT, Stacking bleed dmg as much as you can. With normal gear you can kill him by kiting no too hard.

Stay away from his blade spirit, don't attack when he use blade barrier(That's why he's so high regen).

2Handers with non-polish geared may have hard time facetanking against him directly for long time. So just burst out and apply all bleeding you have. And kiting around.

PS. The reason you may get 1-2shot maybe
- He spawn with Notched Bone. Even very good build still at risk.
- You have low resistance. Especially pierce and cold(cuz he has nightblade skill). Even maxed resistance he's still hit you hard though.
- Too low armor and don't have dmg absorption buff

Fabius is tough nemesis. If you don't prepared, just ignore him. He isn't a piece of cake newbie especially non-shield build. You'll need to learn more defensive mechanic, devotions and know some good procs for facetanking him. Know about Resistance Reduction and how to maximizing dmg for kill him fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
i always take small steps towards his area enough to see him on screen without triggering him and then look at what he has equipped in his hands.
Every time I hear his blade buff it's really excite me even sometimes it's turn out to be an star monster

New builds are coming soon
1. Reaper [Nightblade+Necromancer]
2. Inquisiter+? [Want to use Runebinder set]
3. Sorcerer [All variation]
4. Spellbreaker [P. blade and more variation]

Last edited by InkOsk132; 07-03-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Initiate

Whelp, I have downed Fabius on Ultimate.

I got myself Zoltar's chest armor (the longcoat) alongside the legendaries mentioned in the posts above.

I also changed my relic to Aegis and finished the Kraken constellation.

I changed my defensive procs: Dryad bound to Zoltar's to go along the procs of the touch of the everliving grove and the Healing Wind of the glaive 2 hander. The wyrmscale boots were always active and menhir's will was self explanatory.

For offense: Blind Fury bound to Savagery; Assassin's Mark bound to the upheaval tree, alongside Falcon Swoop.

Finally I started pumping the Savagery Tree for OA and DA.

It was the toughest fight I could remember yet the most fun I've had in weeks. Kiting, retreating, focusing fire when he was in his blade armor (with Totem and Aegis it was face-tankeable). I must have gone through a hundred potions before I finally finished him. Not farmeable in the least but he did live to the Nemesis name. Now for the Iron Maiden.

Tags
fabius, nemesis, warder, warder tank