Old 03-09-2017, 04:08 AM
Acolyte

Default Got to Ultimate. Getting Owned. Build Help.

So I've been playing this game with a build in mind that I kind of brewed myself by taking two different builds (Ultos two hander and reflection warden) and smashing them together while trying to stick with a legendary set that I didn't have yet. I admit this may have been a bad decision, but it will help when you see the stuff below to keep this in mind.
I've been doing rather well with minimal potion use. I've been able to facetank everything except for the obvious stuff (for instance I fought Rashalga for about 5 seconds before running like hell and rifting away). It was about at the end of Elite difficulty that the trouble started. Log utterly wrecked me. Despite my high resistances he was so powerful that I could only be in melee range with him for about 4-5 seconds at a time before having to chug a pot and run like hell. My build was built around a one hander and savagery, so the fight took ages. I finally beat him, but now I'm in Ultimate and everything seems to chunk me down. I'm not entirely sure what to do. I come to you all in hopes that you'll be able to help. As it stands, I can't stay in melee long enough to deal damage to kill things.
TLDR: My tank is getting chunked down by Elite Log and Ultimate Heroes. Wtf.

The Build:
GrimCalc (Including +Skills, Devotions, and current Attribute adjustments): http://grimcalc.com/build/1008-P7XWQI
Screenshot (In Ultimate)

Health: 10265
Armor Absorption: 100%

Notes:
  • I haven't been able to find a better weapon than the Charged Assault Battle Axe of Alacrity you see above in ages. "Get better weapons" won't help without direction.
  • This build revolves around a single type of damage, so the RR from Blessed Steel, Widow, and Viper are essential.
  • The damage that takes me down tends to be either very bursty (as Log was) or utterly devastating dots (as the heroes in Ultimate have). Both are very confusing to me. I'm not sure what the counter play is.
  • The general situation is that I charge in, lay down my Wendigo Totem, Hit with Sacred Strike, and then immediately have to retreat because I'm at 50% health.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:22 AM
Speaker

I think a first step could be improve your resistances. Don't know if the screenshot is from Elite or Ulti but I'm sure you can do better with Components and Augments.
Also, for the equipment, did you check the faction stuff ?

skill/devo side of the things, I didnt look, sorry, I'm really not a good build guy
Old 03-09-2017, 05:25 AM
Supporter

I'll try to be short cuz its gettin late around here, sorry.

You need more resistances, some of them are very low for ult, no wonder you're getting hurt.
Put some components in all of your slots, they can help with resist (and use armor augments if you're not using already)
Most builds aim to cap resists before all else (except probably stun and maybe aether if they don't want to run Valbury and/or kill Anasteria)

Skills:
Fighting Spirit doesn't worth it with only 1/3 uptime imo
War Cry needs more points, damage reduction is awesome
Put at least 1 point in Blood Pact (more sustain)
Tenacity of the Boar is great skill to put poins into, 1600 OA is to low

i'm sure others will try to help you too soon enough in more elaborate ways

heck it seems i just cannot possibly be short...

g'night (doubt i can sleep but have to try )
Old 03-09-2017, 05:39 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyGandalf View Post
(doubt i can sleep but have to try )
Try crucible with a pure retaliation warder. You'll fall asleep in few minutes.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by knao View Post
I think a first step could be improve your resistances. Don't know if the screenshot is from Elite or Ulti but I'm sure you can do better with Components and Augments.
Also, for the equipment, did you check the faction stuff ?

skill/devo side of the things, I didnt look, sorry, I'm really not a good build guy
This is from Ultimate. I decided that was the best place to start. All my armor has augments, but few components. I'll get on that and see if I can find any that will raise those resistances. I had maxed chaos against Log and he was still destroying me, but I noticed he was doing some move that lowered all my resistances to the negatives.

Quote:
Skills:
Fighting Spirit doesn't worth it with only 1/3 uptime imo
War Cry needs more points, damage reduction is awesome
Put at least 1 point in Blood Pact (more sustain)
Tenacity of the Boar is great skill to put poins into, 1600 OA is to low
As above, these resistances are at the very beginning of ultimate and include the ultimate debuff, but I agree, they could be higher. I'll be honest and say that I didn't even notice the damage reduction on War Cry and I've been neglecting it. I should give it some love. I'll also take some points from Fighting Spirit and put them into either Tenacity of the Boar or Field Command. Both give OA, so I'll see which is better for that.

This is *super* helpful so far. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Speaker

Also, could it be usefull to put some points to Menhir's Bullwark and some more to Millitary Conitioning ? I also think I agree with @FunkyGandalf for Fighting Spirit.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by knao View Post
Also, could it be usefull to put some points to Menhir's Bullwark and some more to Millitary Conitioning ? I also think I agree with @FunkyGandalf for Fighting Spirit.
I can't use Menhir's Bulwark because I'm already using an exclusive skill. I'm definitely looking to put points in Military Conditioning soon, though.

After painstakingly swapping between Elite (to get to merchants) and Ultimate (to see their effects) I have a boatload more resistances. After some testing, things are hitting far softer than they used to. I'm thinking that that was the problem. Thank you all so much. I hope to see how this build does late-game, but without this support I was honestly considering just leveling something else. You guys saved it. Thank you so much.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:02 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingBiochemist View Post
I can't use Menhir's Bulwark because I'm already using an exclusive skill. I'm definitely looking to put points in Military Conditioning soon, though.

After painstakingly swapping between Elite (to get to merchants) and Ultimate (to see their effects) I have a boatload more resistances. After some testing, things are hitting far softer than they used to. I'm thinking that that was the problem. Thank you all so much. I hope to see how this build does late-game, but without this support I was honestly considering just leveling something else. You guys saved it. Thank you so much.
Take points out of Fighting spirit and overcap overguard. Playing stormpact shield warder is tricky. No absorb from menhir, low regen. I assume you aim for Dawnbreaker set? I made one with storm pact as well that is not a retaliator but avenger. Has lighting procs all around Avenger relic even stronger with lightning convert and 26/26 counter strike also converted and strong. Works very well end game, But without Bulwark you can really do Mad Queen cause all your procs piss off her retaliation aura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPYbZHwIO4

Cool thing about this build is that unlike with retaliaton, you won't die of boredom, stuff melts in AOE which feels great
Old 03-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
Take points out of Fighting spirit and overcap overguard. Playing stormpact shield warder is tricky. No absorb from menhir, low regen. I assume you aim for Dawnbreaker set? I made one with storm pact as well that is not a retaliator but avenger. Has lighting procs all around Avenger relic even stronger with lightning convert and 26/26 counter strike also converted and strong. Works very well end game, But without Bulwark you can really do Mad Queen cause all your procs piss off her retaliation aura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPYbZHwIO4

Cool thing about this build is that unlike with retaliaton, you won't die of boredom, stuff melts in AOE which feels great

You hit the nail on the head. I took one look at the dawnbreaker set and wanted to make a build where I have at least one point in every skill the set buffs. My hope was to force the enemy into a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If you hit me in melee, I hit you back with countering or retaliation. If you don't hit me in melee, I still deal respectable damage on my own. I've had people say that counterstrike isn't useful, but I rather like it. I ended up putting one point in it and letting it scale on its own. I'll have to look at your build and see what it's like. Maybe it'll give me ideas.

Tags
build help, tank, ultimate, warder