Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Initiate

Just got one! Even a dps upgrade. Will hold onto it for sure.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Acolyte

How would AAR nowadays fare with a Warlock? I have a level 60 Chaos Warlock I was modeling after http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49207

If I ever find the rest of the black flame set, I imagine I'd be pretty tanky, but your Spellbinder looks pretty darn tough and a bit more versatile. I currently use Sigil of Consumption for some AOE and to trigger Twin fangs for my sustain, as (as you mentioned) AAR doesn't have %weapon damage.

Currently slogging through Normal Vet to complete Malmouth and hopefully find some more pieces of my set before I finish Elite. I am pretty addicted to that Inquisitor's Seal so I might give spellbinder a go. I feel chaos caster's got the short end in the expansion, the element doesn't seem to get much love in the skill trees.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:36 PM
Speaker

Great build - have to level up my spellbinder to try it. Was wondering if I could somehow modify this to work for my druid hmmmm....
Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 AM
Initiate

So is sorcerer the better AAR combo with the patch change and lightning being added to the ray? Is this build dead?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:52 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by canned_salmon View Post
So is sorcerer the better AAR combo with the patch change and lightning being added to the ray? Is this build dead?
Necromancer should still be good. You get mostly Aether bonuses and added Aether based skills such as Siphon (when transmuted). You really did not use Necro for a source of Vitality.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Necromancer should still be good. You get mostly Aether bonuses and added Aether based skills such as Siphon (when transmuted). You really did not use Necro for a source of Vitality.
Yep. I would even say that for AAR spellbinder this is a buff overall as most would be nearly pure aether builds with some vit and would convert elemental damage to aether. Thus all or most of the Lightning damage would be converted to pure aether too.
If you add that both the fire and Lightning have received a damage boost it should decent or even a large (I have yet to test how large actually it is)dps increase.

The only problem is that there is no equivalent aether DoT so the Electrocute damage would be a loss (I really hope that they would add a aether and chaos DoT damage type eventually).
Depending on how high the Electrocute Dot damage is it could make a sorcerer(or perhaps a mage hunter) a better choice for a AAR build DPS wise.

Last edited by somnium; 11-17-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Praetorian

Just to update everyone!

This build still works and works great. The damage type change isn't an nerf to this character even if it sounds like it. The Lightning damage is changeable/buffable through a lot of the abilities and gear you'll get for a character like this anyways.

It's been mentioned already that the Lightning damage is convertable to Aether through various pieces of gear.

The thing is, AAR is easier to run now and the Spellbinder is great already, so the build just runs easier.

The damage change opens up the Sorcerer, Druid, and Mage Hunter builds more than before and makes them much more viable. I think, however, the Spellbinder is still the best AAR combination. It's just that the other classes can run the better run the beam now.

All that being said, I'm probably not going to update this build in any major way for the time being, since the Sorcerer works again and he's my main.

For anyone asking about energy regen, I have a section dedicated to it in my newly posted Sorcerer guide.

I'll still answer questions about this guide as they come up (provided I actually pay attention to the forum more).

Last edited by WolfOverclocked; 11-18-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Speaker

You should change your comment about Aetherreach gloves since the mythical version now has the same proc so there is no reason left anymore to keep the level 75 version.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykar View Post
You should change your comment about Aetherreach gloves since the mythical version now has the same proc so there is no reason left anymore to keep the level 75 version.
Yup. Switched the item out.

Also removed the link to the bitch thread.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:39 AM
Acolyte

Tweak the build to more survivablity and HC viable, switch the offhand to shield (Mythical Will of the Living). here the link and devotion setup are a little different
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0JaXXN
Feedback and criticism are welcome

Tags
aar, albrecht's aether ray, arcanist, necromancer, spellbinder