Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 10-26-2017, 11:42 PM
Champion

Anyway, I started messing with Ill Omen, and this skill is very good. It spreads like wild fire, and every time is spreads, it procs any "On Hit/Crit" skill you have. This can be a great way to spread devotion procs, such as Acid Spray, Arcane bomb or what ever.

Edit: It appears to use devotions each time it ticks or spreads. In a congested area, with the mobs terrified, I saw twin fangs firing off every second for 10 seconds. And yeah, I'm messing with using twin fangs as a ADCTH replacement for now. I'm not sure how I'll land. I have a Mythical codex that has a heal on it too and another with a resist debuff.

Last edited by bystander; 10-27-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:38 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
I'm currently playing almost this exact build now, except that I wasn't planning to pick up the skeletons. Everything else is almost exactly the same.

So far, it's been a blast. Siphon Souls works well to help stay alive. I'm only level 45, but the character has been a lot of fun.

I was considering making a write up, but now I don't need to.
Spellbinder has been the most fun I've had in this game in a long time. Necro/Arcanist synergize so well together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
You can't complain about AAR and then post an AAR build!

/s
...how many of these things do you have?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaeiO View Post
I love the concept of using skeletons for proccing a devotion that does not scale with pets. Might steal you that idea and try it with low cooldown celestial powers like aetherfire or wendigo's mark. WM heals the player right? Even if procced by a pet?
I think it does but it doesn't heal enough back to you. I had Aetherfire on them but it didn't work as well. Devastation is awesome for it though. I think anything that's a non-damage-based Devotion ability works great with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddow89 View Post
that makes no sense. If you had read the build you would've seen how he points out the bad state that AAR is in and why he decided to make a build regardless. I'd love to downvote this inadequate and unhelpful response..

To the build: I'm playing an aether and a chaos AAR build at the same time. My conclusion so far: the aether version is more reliable not because it's aether but because of the additional tankiness the necromancer provides (mark of torment, siphon souls)
Comparing it to other builds though, it falls behind quite drastically. A caster druid can be played virtually by just running past all enemies and just dropping winds and totems. He is far superior in clearspeed and can easily get the same single target dmg as AAR. Which probably is the single biggest problem: AAR isn't the best ability at what it probably was supposed to be the best ability at: single target dps

Channeling in itself is so problematic, especially given the abundance of ground effects in AOM. every stun interrupts the damage. Casters have to be half-tanks in GD anyway, but channeling casters have to be fullblown tanks, because they can't kite. And AAR doesn't have any kind of leech through weapon damage. I think one of the inherent problems of channeled abilities is that they all need to provide leech. Also, every tiny pebble on the ground blocks the beam, every torch, every branch, rock .. it's tedious..

Currently I would say you really have to like the ability to go through all the drawbacks it has. So many other abilitys have comparable or superior damage output without all of the drawbacks
I agree. AAR's biggest problem is the low amount of damage it outputs given the drawbacks. I wonder if I should make another thread bitching about it? Actually, I'm going to put a link in the main post here.

Also, don't listen to Ceno. Nobody does.

Quote:
I personally love the AAR effect. I like casters in general. That's my main draw, and early on, at least until the 50-60 mark, they are awesome damage dealers. Unfortunately, they don't scale well to the high level (at least in the past). I'm looking forward to seeing what some of these +damage to AAR items do for the damage.

I just killed Log a few minutes ago, at level 47 with 33K DPS. It is fun early on. But you have to be on your toes, as you aren't a tank, have no ADCTH, and drain energy fast.

That said, I have a 55 Vindicator I have on hold, that is also a wrecking machine, and can face tank almost anything. He still had half the DPS at the same level, though in reality, it may be 3/4's once you factor in procs.
Yeah, the scaling needs to be jacked up a lot in the higher levels. 16+ on AAR, Drain Essence, and Flames should all have massive scaling at 16+ and 12+ on modifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceno View Post
Evidently sarcasm, even when explicitly stated (and quoted) is missed.

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnMyQAZ

Made some slight changes to the build. Reduced Mark of Torment to 1 point investment (8 after +skills). The damage absorb and duration do not scale well at all with rank beyond rank 6 (for whatever reason), and you already get a much more powerful +2 seconds to its duration from your gear anyways. So I moved those points to Conversion for better CC resists and Callidor's Tempest/Transmuter for another form of Crowd Control for yourself. I've found transmuted CT very powerful when combined with Siphon Souls (use SS first!). Also maxed out Nullification, but that's a me-thing.

Despite the above, the vast majority of the build is solid and has few areas of weakness, if you're quick enough with your fingers to react to a Physical burst.

Shame about Aetherreach.
I'll have to test the Mark at 1-point, given you aren't the first person to mention this. I was trying to eeck out as much reduction as I could, but if it's more efficient and the character doesn't die as a result, I'll change it.

I was thinking of grabbing up either Callidor's with Wrath or Ill Omen to attach Shield Wall to with the points I'm missing from doing the Hidden Path, which I still gotta do with this guy. I've noticed that SS/OFF/Pants Explosion actually kills most things, so maybe having control over that will make that a reliable bit of crowd clear.

Thanks Ceno!

MAKE AETHEREACH GREAT AGAIN

Quote:
Anyway, I started messing with Ill Omen, and this skill is very good. It spreads like wild fire, and every time is spreads, it procs any "On Hit/Crit" skill you have. This can be a great way to spread devotion procs, such as Acid Spray, Arcane bomb or what ever.

Edit: It appears to use devotions each time it ticks or spreads. In a congested area, with the mobs terrified, I saw twin fangs firing off every second for 10 seconds. And yeah, I'm messing with using twin fangs as a ADCTH replacement for now. I'm not sure how I'll land. I have a Mythical codex that has a heal on it too and another with a resist debuff.
I was thinking about Twin Fangs or Wendigo's Mark but I don't have the point spread for it, but using them on Ill Omen sounds like a great idea. Ill Omen's one of those skills I've found intriguing because even though it's a terrify effect and those can be annoying, it's got that movement speed reduction, so they don't run away as fast. I think it might make for a good bit of crowd control to keep enemies off you. I'll have to test it later!

Thanks for the comments guys!
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Supporter

I'm playing a fairly similar build, except I make do without AAR and put a bigger emphasis on my pets. Currently wearing Beastcaller's head, shoulders and chest with the plan to upgrade those to Deviner's whenever I find them. I'm also going to enjoy the Mythical Aethereach, shooting for a >1 second CD Reap Spirit with a summon limit of 3.

As for devotions, I've gone with Hungering Void, Rattosh and his Staff, Lantern and Widow. Rattosh improves my summons by quite a bit, reducing relevant resistances for their damage as well. Widow on Reap Spirit allows me to place the mine myself, used as an initiator while also spawning the Spirit to draw aggro. Skellies spread Rattosh's Mark. Don't feel as if I really need Hourglass, and my current devotion path overall feels better - and gives more power to my minions. If anyone has any ideas on how to improve my devotion setup, I'm all ears: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQQ8W8N

Gameplay is pretty much: Reap Spirit whenever possible -> Flash Freeze -> Siphon Souls -> Devastation against big packs/elites -> Watch as skellies and spirits swarm the survivors.

As you say, Spellbinder has so much synergy it's crazy. Haven't had this much fun in GD in a long time. Anyone looking for a caster/summoner hybrid should try it out - as long as you don't mind respawning skeletons.

Last edited by Strills; 10-27-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOverclocked View Post

...how many of these things do you have?!
Asking the right questions

--------
Useful mods-
Spoiler!
Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Speaker

its always a pleasure see your builds (and your videos), i study it :P and i supose to use when create my necro.

thanks
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Initiate

Awesome build, actually half-way through it.

Got most of the stuff waiting in stash except for chest and it's great 7.5 ER, will have to keep Owl or similar until then.
So you can handle all that energy regen only through stuff? It's the first time I do an AAR char without any energy devotion.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Initiate

Default How is the build for leveling? Any leveling suggestions?

How is the energy sustain pre-bis gear? Just got this guy to lvl 20 and wondering how the best way to progress him is and gearing in the early lvls. I'm not a fan of lvling as a different build than switching into it at a later time when the gear has been amassed, and just wondering how this will perform. Thanks for any response!
Old 11-14-2017, 02:28 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by canned_salmon View Post
How is the energy sustain pre-bis gear? Just got this guy to lvl 20 and wondering how the best way to progress him is and gearing in the early lvls. I'm not a fan of lvling as a different build than switching into it at a later time when the gear has been amassed, and just wondering how this will perform. Thanks for any response!
At 20, it might not be your only attack. I can't remember when I went full AAR, it might have been 20, but it might have been 25. I used a flintlock bolt component for greater firebolt for the early levels.

Anyway, to be able to maintain AAR early on, you need use or find a few things:
1) find an offhand with the suffix "of the Oracle". This will give you -10-15% energy cost.
2) put points into Mental Alacrity. This is good for -19% skill costs.
3) At level 27, put a focused prism on your amulet.
4) There are a bunch of relics with -8-10% skill energy cost reduction.
5) Look for greens with AAR bonuses, some of which include - skill energy costs.
6) Use Ectoplasm in your jewelry for added energy regen.
7) Put 2 points into the Owl devotion tree.

Items 1, 2, 6 and 7 are available to you now.

I often just use AAR, in the early levels, as a Hero/Boss killing machine, and use (Greater) fireblast from components until 20-25.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:42 AM
Initiate

Awesome, thanks for the response!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by canned_salmon View Post
Awesome, thanks for the response!
And when you find that Of the Oracle offhand, hold on to it. It's great for high energy builds. I found a level 10 version that I use a lot.

Tags
aar, albrecht's aether ray, arcanist, necromancer, spellbinder