Old 10-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Advocate

Question Dual Wielding and skill procs.

Hey guys, a little help needed, been away from GD for some time and forgot quite a deal on mechanics.

So, have one question, say I got a rifle vs dual wielded pistols. AS is pretty much the same, but I'm seeing about twice as much shots from pistols than from the rifle. Do default attack weapon skills (Markovian's advantage and the like) have a chance to activate off every shot fired, i.e — is there a difference in activation chance between dual pistols and rifle with same AS? Or is it just two shots animation, but game actually calculates one attack? Thanks!

EDIT: oh, and, while we on topic, what about Cadence? Will it charge faster with DW vs 2H?
EDIT 2: never mind first edit, done a bit of training dummy torture, and yeah, cadence does charge faster it seems.

Last edited by Malfet; 10-12-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:45 AM
Initiate

As for cadence I had the same experience.
When your build can dual wield, that seems to be alot stronger than going 2h.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Initiate

When you attack, the game keeps a record of Weapon Pool Skills - anything that says 'Chance to Use' where it says 'Triggers on a default attack'.

Dual Wield is interesting as it doesn't need any skills to have a weapon pool - it shares its own chance to attack with either weapon and then both. Without any skills, you get a 1/3 chance to hit with both weapons. This is still one attack, but it makes two attacks (and any effects you have also trigger twice) and is why it seems a lot faster.

Any skills you take like Markovian's have their base chance added to the Pool. Then if you are dual wielding, the MH/OH/Both splits the rest of it.

Dual Wield is great with most WPS skills as they're actually coded to give you the displayed attack damage on each weapon just like a regular double attack.

Cadence is a bit different though; Cadence's 3rd swing is not a 'default attack' - it will hit like a truck with your MH, but won't ever be a Markovian's or a double attack.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Initiate

The pool scales up to 100 base, right? That did not change? So when you got 100 or more chance to proc a special attack you are guaranteed to always pull one off?
As for Cadence, I think his question was: Does each individual strike/shot count for ticking up. the x-x-y ratio.
Like you shoot both guns simultaneous, does that count as two triggers so the next one will be cadence?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieserMoep View Post
The pool scales up to 100 base, right? That did not change? So when you got 100 or more chance to proc a special attack you are guaranteed to always pull one off?
As for Cadence, I think his question was: Does each individual strike/shot count for ticking up. the x-x-y ratio.
Like you shoot both guns simultaneous, does that count as two triggers so the next one will be cadence?
The pool scales to 100%, if sum of proc chances exceeds 100%, then all chances will be downscaled so sum will be still 100%.

As far as i know, all WPS skills add just one charge to Cadence per proc, even if they hit multiple times.
Since most WPS tend to have slower animation that default attack, and the lion's share of Cadence damage comes from 3-rd hit, you should avoid using any WPS with Cadence.
Not sure about default DW attack double-hit. It had some wierd interaction with Cadence, sometimes giving 2 charges. Seemed like a bug, noy sure if it's still there in addon.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Advocate

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortalKombat View Post
Not sure about default DW attack double-hit. It had some wierd interaction with Cadence, sometimes giving 2 charges. Seemed like a bug, noy sure if it's still there in addon.
Yeah, that's the one that made me guess. I put a point into Inquisitor's "Ranged Expertise", and larger percentage of my attacks with dual pistols became double shots. Each double shot counting for 2 points of Cadence charge. Buuut, as I understand now these double attacks are WPS (with an unspecified (50%?) proc chance), therefore they will not grant any benefits in triggering other WPS. On the contrary, they will diminish their effectiveness, somewhat.

So yeah, I think I figured it out. 2H > DW damage for WPS proc trigger chance, and, frankly, damage wise too. Dual wield do land larger number of attacks, which can be beneficial for triggering item/devotion procs, and can use up to 2 components at once, plus more versatile in gear bonuses.

Still, I stick to dual wield for one reason only. It looks way more awesome