Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 08-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg View Post
Didn't think this required its own thread, but Blizzard are remastering Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 after Starcraft. New job postings have hinted toward a D2 remaster and a few higher ups from Blizzard openly spoke about an upcoming Warcraft 3 remaster.

Nothing official has been stated from Blizzard, so just Google around and you'll find plenty of information.
I see good and bad points here, as long as there is no onlined only DRM, then I would get the D2 remaster, but it needs to be offline playable. and I would include W3 as well, but if they are either going to make either online or play a stunt like the D1 version and needs D3 to play, then I won't touch either with a 10 foot bargepole.

But remember folks, we aren't talking about blizzard north anymore, we are talking about a company controlled by activision, and made D3 and the crappy decision making, plus adding D1 as a mini expansion rather then a full game by itself. This company I don't exactly trust anymore, this company which has made a lot of bad decisions, including making SC2 online (well you need to login every so often, or it forces you to login to play) and the online DRM crap and crap that is known as D3. (I know already mentioned) and alsohe endless expansions for WOW.

So really, I suspect if blizzard had their way, the D2 and W3 remasters will be online only, still, its possible they might not be, but I really wouldn't bet on those odds.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Emissary

Why can't we have a Warcraft 2 remaster though? Why is there no love for that game?

Anyways, I don't think they are going to pull the same shit with the remasters as they did with the newer games, but you unfortunately have a point that it's highly possible that it will end up this way. I'd love to play D3, but my morals of needing an internet connection just to play a single player game keep me from ever purchasing it.

That being said, I've had the itch to replay D2 a bit and one thing I've never done is play any of the overhaul mods (Median XL). Has anyone here ever delved into any of the major mods? Also, I must say that it's pretty difficult playing D2 on my current monitor. I have to play it windowed to avoid any issues, but the window is so damned small, I can barely see anything.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Praetorian

The reason I see D2 and W3 been online only is because of ladders / leagues.

While SC1 will have that as well, but you need the remastered version, I think it would have been silly to force this game online only, which will require a new engine. but if they doing a D2 remaster, then likely it will be using the similar engine as D3, which means its very likely to be online only. (and add W3 to that)

Oh yes, there is a closed beta for the remaster going on, you can catch some streams, but blizzard hasn't done anything to fix the CCMU bug. (as they not said a word about if this was fixed, but the streams clearly show this problem is still there. so 3v3 and 4v4 games will be borked. so I don't understand why blizzard are going to do a ladder and leagues for SC1 if that bug isn't fixed. anyone who plays zerg will quickly reach the cap, after that player 3 and 4 who might be playing protoss will be at a major disadvantage. While this problem has been fixed in a mod, but it needs to be fixed in the game itself, unless there a very good reason why it's not, but blizzard aren't saying anything.

Which then brings up to what I said, if CCMU isn't fixed, why do ladders at all? when its a huge problems for large games? crazy if ask me.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Why can't we have a Warcraft 2 remaster though? Why is there no love for that game?

Anyways, I don't think they are going to pull the same shit with the remasters as they did with the newer games, but you unfortunately have a point that it's highly possible that it will end up this way. I'd love to play D3, but my morals of needing an internet connection just to play a single player game keep me from ever purchasing it.

That being said, I've had the itch to replay D2 a bit and one thing I've never done is play any of the overhaul mods (Median XL). Has anyone here ever delved into any of the major mods? Also, I must say that it's pretty difficult playing D2 on my current monitor. I have to play it windowed to avoid any issues, but the window is so damned small, I can barely see anything.

I was an admin for the ZyEl mod years ago, before the primary mod site was forced by legislation to stop allowing private server announcing. It was good stuff, but I have no idea if Kato even bothered upgrading the base of his mod after 1.10 changed so much stuff. A lot of those old mods are still anchored in the 1.09d patch, iirc.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Praetorian

Well Blizzard has finally come out of their shell and did a post about the CCMU bug.

Quote:
1 day ago
Howdy Friends,

We're days away from release, but we know Cannot Create More Units is a topic of great importance to the community.

There are massive implications for the engine and gameplay with this change. We haven't ruled it out, but we also haven't had time to land on the correct solution; "Don't break StarCraft."

We will delve deeper into the problem after release. See you soon.

Cheers,
Classic Games
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/star...ic/20758637143

at least they have finally acknowledged it, but I think it certainly needs fixing. at least for large scale games. So maybe they will fix this long standing bug afterall.

edit

the RM is close at hand, will be released this coming monday,

Quote:
Greetings Executors, Commanders, and Cerebrates,

Deployment will begin at 1000 AM PDT on August 14th.

Cheers,
Classic Games
So not much more to wait, until it hits.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Emissary

As much as I want to buy this on day one, I have to treat this like any other AAA game. I assume the initial release will be rife with bugs and glitches and may have performance issues.

Since I normally avoid all information regarding games I'm interested in (to avoid hype), have they mentioned if this is just Starcraft or if it's also Brood War? Have they said anything about being online only or will this be basically the original game but with updated graphics?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Emissary

Quote:
As much as I want to buy this on day one, I have to treat this like any other AAA game. I assume the initial release will be rife with bugs and glitches and may have performance issues.

Since I normally avoid all information regarding games I'm interested in (to avoid hype), have they mentioned if this is just Starcraft or if it's also Brood War? Have they said anything about being online only or will this be basically the original game but with updated graphics?
Brood war. Online only for multiplayer (dont know will there be lan option for multi), single player offline. Original game 100% with better graphics.

Shame that the bug will not be fixed on release, I love playing some UMS maps.
and that he is within a sword-thrust of destruction.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:25 PM
Emissary

What about a map editor? I'd love to see what skilled map makers can come up with now. Hell, I was absolutely amazed with what people could create with basic triggers. There were some pretty impressive Warcraft 2 BNE maps and that was in the mid 90s.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Campaigner

I am so excited for this Starcraft:Remastered. God only knows how many hours I played Broodwar back in the day. This was my favorite game for many many years. I was big into lots of RTS games, but Starcraft was at the top of the pyramid for me. Loved playing all 3 races, the campaign (the campaign could get insanely intense at certain points!), casual online games with friends...those were good times. Can't wait to play this week.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
What about a map editor? I'd love to see what skilled map makers can come up with now. Hell, I was absolutely amazed with what people could create with basic triggers. There were some pretty impressive Warcraft 2 BNE maps and that was in the mid 90s.
It has been confirmed that the map editor will be enhanced, but there are third party editors out there as well. But yeah, the in house editor should also be a bit better, but I don't know much more then that.