Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aork View Post
Thanks for posting this. Seems like the dev is a derek smart type. Gave me a good read going down the rabbit hole of grimoires development

The history and the cult around grimoire are something every person with some interest in gaming and a bit of humour should know.

Agents of decline were defeated.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Emissary

[QUOTE=They Live;527558]The history and the cult around grimoire are something every person with some interest in gaming and a bit of humour should know.

Agents of decline were defeated.

edit : i'm sorry i messed up you can delete this last post

Last edited by They Live; 08-05-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aork View Post
Thanks for posting this. Seems like the dev is a derek smart type. Gave me a good read going down the rabbit hole of grimoires development
Derek Smart is a sane, well-balanced, lovable scamp compared to Cleve. Honestly, this is one of my favorite genres (quite possibly my favorite, Wizardry 8 is my second favorite game of all time behind Planescape: Torment) and it rarely gets games, but I'm staying far, far away from this game primarily because of Cleve (though the fact it's apparently a buggy mess makes it a lot less painful.)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeliorin View Post
Derek Smart is a sane, well-balanced, lovable scamp compared to Cleve. Honestly, this is one of my favorite genres (quite possibly my favorite, Wizardry 8 is my second favorite game of all time behind Planescape: Torment) and it rarely gets games, but I'm staying far, far away from this game primarily because of Cleve (though the fact it's apparently a buggy mess makes it a lot less painful.)

If you don't buy it for issues with the game itself it's fair ( cleve ready deployed a patch and he is about to release a manual btw) but to be honest il don' t like this prejudicial attitude toward this guy. Not buying a game because of its author il pretty lame, also i'm not a big fan of conformism and politically correctness it's just a form of bigotry.

Edit : I still didn't buy it myself, not acting as a "white knight"

Last edited by They Live; 08-06-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:58 AM
Praetorian

http://steamcommunity.com/games/6506...46018260474150
Quote:
Grimoire was quietly released in the morning in America without much fanfare and has sold well over a thousand copies before closing hours. Not bad for an indie game written by one person with almost no advertising whatsoever of any kind. The sales seem to be increasing hourly.

Everybody who has played it has known they are on the verge of discovering something really amazing. A lack of understanding of the user interface and game mechanics has not prevented the majority of players from concluding they may be looking at one of the best computer roleplaying games ever written. The smartest ones intuit it, they don't need a press rep to give them a bag of promotional goodies for them to guess it.

For this reason, the manual is a priority this weekend and it will be released as a prototype early next week.

Initial reports of bugs in the display (mostly due to resolutions and display modes that did not exist only a few years ago) were fixed shortly after the game went live. There were other problems with 64 bit machines that were also solved in less than 120 minutes after they were reported.

This did not stop a vocal, dedicated group of politically motivated activists from deliberately purchasing the game solely to give it a bad review and then get a refund. They were trying to stop a tsunami by body surfing the edge of it. That attempt has already tanked. The incline is so suffused in Grimoire it is only a matter of time before their slander of the game is washed away by the sheer volume of people discovering how rich it is.

As the author, I know what people have not discovered yet. They are on the tip of an iceberg and Grimoire runs into deep, deep waters. The density they see now is only a fraction of what they are going to find as they push further into the game. A play of only a few hours will not even break the surface. The familiar area of the original demo, the Avian Mountains, is now only a single drop of rain in a cyclone compared to how much they will discover when they leave this area. Rather than tell people of the Dirge ... or of Waterport ... or of Bahomet Megalith ... or of the Necropolix ... or of Black Pierre ... or of the Raven Wildes ... or a hundred other areas ... or of the vast story that awaits them ... would only spoil the fun. I prefer to let word of mouth do that for me, the best kind of promotion of them all.
lol. This next post by him is just pure gold..
http://steamcommunity.com/games/6506...46018259466626
Quote:
Sapiens thinks if you have a clinically tested IQ of 183 it means you're better at solving the jumble in the newspaper. This is what Sapiens actually believes.

There are other things you can do with a super powered atomic brain nearly 6 full derivatives greater than the intellectual distance between the ordinary man and Koko the Sign Language Gorilla.

An ordinary man might be delirious and babbling after 72 hours without sleep, these bug reports forced me to bring on another 0.002% of my brain capacity to solve them with a few keystrokes and upload a new binary to Steam.

Bug encountered clicking GPC portraits on some machines
Bug encountered when modifying "SCALE" setting
Bug encountered with music volumes (this may or may not be fixed)

If you have a savegame going and you don't want to uninstall your current game, you can just delete your "game.cfg" file in your Steam common folder if you can find it.

I want you to know if my back is ever in the corner again I am more than willing to bring on as much as 0.005% of my brain power online to fix the game and keep the troops fighting. Any time not spent playing Grimoire is wasted playing life, which will never give you any Perk Keys like Grimoire does. Remember that.
Seems like my kinda dev. I like people with the balls to be a total prick when the consumer is (usually) clearly a moron. Never heard of him before but, "Go Cleve!". I'll probably pick the game up at some point just because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewfarmery View Post
reviews on steam are now mixed, lol, seems after all this time, the game is getting a huge walloping
Not really. As he notes in my quote above it would appear a group of special snowflakes were intentionally trying to sabotage the reviews, which appear to have begun leveling out and sits at a current "mostly positive". It also appears that most bugs were related to displays and 64-bit, apparently already fixed or being fixed.

I don't know about "recycled content" but going off what he says above it doesn't sound like it. You may be letting assumptions cloud your judgement considering noone has even played 600 hours of it yet. Reading the comments in the above posts, several "true" fans of the game have essentially said that the game is so far proving to be everything he has claimed.

Last edited by powbam; 08-07-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:35 AM
Advocate

The dev seems like a total tool. Who calls their own game one of the "best ever written?" It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to support someone who kisses their own ass like that, regardless of how good the game actually is.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:38 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzblaster View Post
The dev seems like a total tool.
That's what makes him so great. He's simply better than you. Recognize, foo'.

Last edited by powbam; 08-07-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
That's what makes him so great. He's simply better than you. Recognize, foo'.

He is the last neanderthal alive, you sapien just can't understand....
Old 08-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Praetorian

by recycled, I mean seeing the same enemies, and same art work. considering how the game looks, I wouldn't be surprised of that fact. Remember this was suppose to have been out 20 years ago. times have changed, expectations have changed.

I mean, eye of the beholder had this problem a bit, and 2 had it as well. sure, things got mixed up a bit, with different coloured walls, (very true for 1, as you go deeper, from sewer to brick to Drow. but then again, for 600 hours, how many times will you see the same enemy? or the same artwork? that is what I mean by recycled content. But then again, you can say that for a fair number of games as well. but for a game that has a limited palette and art style, this will be very true.

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success
Old 08-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewfarmery View Post
by recycled, I mean seeing the same enemies, and same art work. considering how the game looks, I wouldn't be surprised of that fact. Remember this was suppose to have been out 20 years ago. times have changed, expectations have changed.

I mean, eye of the beholder had this problem a bit, and 2 had it as well. sure, things got mixed up a bit, with different coloured walls, (very true for 1, as you go deeper, from sewer to brick to Drow. but then again, for 600 hours, how many times will you see the same enemy? or the same artwork? that is what I mean by recycled content. But then again, you can say that for a fair number of games as well. but for a game that has a limited palette and art style, this will be very true.
I think I'll be fine. It has 240+ unique enemies, 1000+ items, and 64 "intelligent" NPC's with over 8k+ words of dialogue. I imagine that he has been focusing on going "light" on the recycling for the past 20 years. 1 person, 20+ years, 600+ playable hours. Yeah. I see what he was going for here.

I've played GD for 8k hours and counting. If I can do that then this is a cakewalk.

Last edited by powbam; 08-07-2017 at 01:09 PM.