This is the last staff post in this thread.   #111  
Old 03-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peredur View Post
Also, if it allows to reduce the price of games we buy (while devs get as much or even more), it's another win for the customers.
I expect better prices for consumers to be a short lived perk once large publishers get in on it.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peredur View Post
Competition is a good thing.
Having Steam users complain because a game is not on Steam and will boycott the game as long as the devs don't give their money to Steam is a pity.

Also, if it allows to reduce the price of games we buy (while devs get as much or even more), it's another win for the customers.
Competition is Open Market. Which means the same product gets released on multiple store fronts including GoG and Steam. Exclusivity deal to one store specifically, even if its limited time, is NOT conducive to competition. People who support these practices need their head examined.

Boycotting a game because its not on Steam, because its only on Epic is acceptable. Prices on Epic aren't getting lowered. In fact most are equal or slightly more pricy. GoG however gave customers a little bit back with each purchase. Epic isn't doing that. Only ones getting better from using Epic is the developer and not the customer. There is no open market competition that drives prices lower.

https://www.twitch.tv/Giblix
Old 03-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by medea fleecestealer View Post
Yet that is what your post sounded like. To me at least. I'm pretty intolerant of the practice so if that wasn't what you were implying then my apologies.
My argument was simply that piracy wasn't the same as theft; factually, legally or morally and that financially speaking the end result would be the same regardless of whether the loss of revenue comes from piracy or boycotting. Nothing more, especially not that any of it justifies piracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantai View Post
You are correct that financially there is no difference for a developer whether you pirate a game or not buy it at all, but that is a very twisted way to justify piracy.

You are saying that the work devs put in is worth playing, but apparently isn't worth any money. That's like telling an artist you'll pay them in exposure.

I've had people privately message me asking for help with their pirated copies. That is some serious gall.

I accept that there are people in the world struggling financially who either pirate some games or don't play them at all, but that doesn't remotely equate to piracy as some form of twisted justice.
Read the last part of the post you quoted, I was never justifying piracy. I was instead saying that even from a purely selfish perspective of the consumer, it would be in their best interests to support the creators if they wish for further content to enjoy.

That "it is less of giving someone the middle finger and instead giving the developers/publishers less of an incentive to continue the product/service".

And now I am going to stop talking about this topic and let the thread go backto the Epic thing. This post was just to clarify things, nothing more.

Last edited by Maya; 03-13-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM
Champion

Quote:
You are correct that financially there is no difference for a developer whether you pirate a game or not buy it at all, but that is a very twisted way to justify piracy.
I would not say it's no difference. When someone pirates a game, you simply "give" the game for free to someone. Also, it's kinda like not being able to afford buying bread so you just "take" it, that's not stealing, if we follow this logic. The devs basically spend years on developing a game and then someone just takes their product for free and never buys it. I know multiple people who just pirate games and never buy them, and when I tell them they should buy them to actually support the developers, they say "The developers should care more about their games and protect them", which is basically bullshit and we know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
I'd just like to remind everyone that pirating is not stealing since there is no loss or theft per se. And if someone wasn't going to buy your product then it is lost revenue either way regardless of whether they simply boycott it or choose piracy. So personally I see it as less of giving someone the middle finger and instead as giving the developers/publishers less of an incentive to continue the product/service.
As much as there's a touch of truth there, you did not consider people who only pirate games and never buy them. If people do this constantly, play the game repetitively and like the game, that's fucking stealing and you can't say no. One person pirates the game, they have friends, they'll spread it, and now 1000 people have the game. Basically viewing everything as "one" will always result to no issues at all, but there are maybe even millions of people who pirate games every day, and I actually wonder how many pirated copies of Grim Dawn are there, probably hundreds of thousands, so this is basically scamming.

That's just my take on this. and I am not convincing anyone to think like me.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:25 PM
Counsel

Great, all the pre-hashed and re-hashed arguments repeated and regurgitated ad-nauseum without anyone giving it an ounce of thought. And guess what, the only reasonable response was Zantai's. oh and since he responded to the topic does this mean Medea'll delete his post or ban him? ;)

I'll just leave this here: Gollop's announcement video has 1:10 like to dislike ratio and the reddit is figuratively on fire (Goes well with the 1.1.0.0 demolitionist beefs I think). The video is unlisted.

Last edited by Boromonokli; 03-13-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromonokli View Post
Great, all the pre-hashed and re-hashed arguments repeated and regurgitated ad-nauseum without anyone giving it an ounce of thought. And guess what, the only reasonable response was Zantai's. oh and since he responded to the topic does this mean Medea'll delete his post or ban him? ;)

I'll just leave this here: Gollop's announcement video has 1:10 like to dislike ratio and the reddit is figuratively on fire (Goes well with the 1.1.0.0 demolitionist beefs I think). The video is unlisted.
You know I really should delete them. Banning Zantai on the other hand - more than my job's worth.
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 PM
Champion

Quote:
I expect better prices for consumers to be a short lived perk once large publishers get in on it.
Oh yes, Epic is currently burning through money in order to get as many people using their store as possible. Once they've reached their targets any perks for us will likely vanish into thin air. That or they run out of money first, not an uncommon event either. Either way, not great for us consumers.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Supporter

Epic does like Steam, which for long had so many pc exlusivities, it's not new.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 PM
Supporter

Steam has become more and more a dump for shitty games. With each crap game released, its harder to find the good ones. I'd rather have a platform where only quality products are released.
But so far the portfolio of the Epic storefront hasn't been too impressive, I don't really care for most of the exclusive titles they have announced. Hades, Phoenix Point and Operencia look interesting but I don't have a problem with waiting another year or two.

But if that ever changes and they have a decent amount of really interesting games or even a must-have game, I will give Epic's store a try.

We will see how it goes. I wish Epic the best of luck, I've been playing and enjoying their games since Jill Of The Jungle and they have my respect. However, if they turn out to become another Valve, they will quickly lose it.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volek View Post
I'd rather have a platform where only quality products are released.
Quality = a vague amphorus undefinable criteria that changes from person to person and yet more fragementation of game stores.