Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Ideas and Feedback

Old 10-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Initiate

Default Will the 64 bit client reduce stuttering?

EDIT: Issue appears fixed using Afterburner and Rivatuner to limit the framerate to 60. Even with V-sync, there seems to be some issue with framepacing and microstutter in this old engine, at least with some hardware. On a 1080ti I should have no issues with this game. But without AB the game is honestly a stuttering mess. It's not big jumps but very small hitches when rotating the camera even when very little is going on. It seems to be an issue with frames and the engine. Thanks for the replies. I also use nocommit too because the constant saving was annoying anyway.

This is my only problem with the game at this point. I love just about everything else. I play on a 1080ti and 2600K and quite honestly the stuttering is pretty annoying all told. I was hoping some improvements could be made with one of the updates coming along. I saw the 64 bit client notice, but I know we can't really use it. My hope is that it runs the game a lot smoother.

Last edited by Khronikos; 11-12-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:01 AM
Champion

Have you tried adding /d3d9 to launch options?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:37 AM
Speaker

I have horrible performance issues with gd too. Actually had the stuttering and strange hiccups from the start, seems those issues only gotten worse in recent time though.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:47 AM
Praetorian

Stuttering is and has always been a problem fixable on the players end and has nothing to do with an x64 client. Some cases may be caused by using cloud-saving and there have been a number of people that have stopped it by disabling it and switching to local saves. Another cause can be using the in-game Vsync. Disabling it and creating a game profile for GD in your GPU's control panel and then forcing Vsync there instead may resolve it as well.

Some people recommend/prefer to run GD in Borderless which more or less can achieve the same thing as well. For my part I recommend just disabling Vsync in-game and forcing it in your GPU's CP.

Trying either of these three usually solves the problem in most cases that I've read/seen. It is very rare that someone reports it not working and in those cases my best guess is a) the person simply doesn't know what they are doing on PC, or b) they got shit hardware that doesn't live up to the minimum specs. The majority of us here play GD with zero stutter. You can too and you can do it without assuming it's something that needs to be fixed by the devs. It's not.

Last edited by powbam; 10-31-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:15 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbam View Post
Stuttering is and has always been a problem fixable on the players end and has nothing to do with an x64 client. Some cases may be caused by using cloud-saving and there have been a number of people that have stopped it by disabling it and switching to local saves. Another cause can be using the in-game Vsync. Disabling it and creating a game profile for GD in your GPU's control panel and then forcing Vsync there instead may resolve it as well.

Some people recommend/prefer to run GD in Borderless which more or less can achieve the same thing as well. For my part I recommend just disabling Vsync in-game and forcing it in your GPU's CP.

Trying either of these three usually solves the problem in most cases that I've read/seen. It is very rare that someone reports it not working and in those cases my best guess is a) the person simply doesn't know what they are doing on PC, or b) they got shit hardware that doesn't live up to the minimum specs. The majority of us here play GD with zero stutter. You can too and you can do it without assuming it's something that needs to be fixed by the devs. It's not.
Either that or a new PC solves the problem. My toaster runs GD almost flawlessly, I sometimes lag (game freezes for 0.5 - 5 secs), but it's only because my PC is not a gaming PC but some random, old trash (from 2011 btw). Most people usually have weaker PCs and can't afford a new one, that's the most common reason why games are "not optimized".

I don't play Crucible.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

5th October stream:

"kobrao : oh and hows the internal testing of the 64 bit version going ^^ does it bring some fps improvements @Zantai_GD

Zantai_GD :I don't expect the 64bit version will improve performance for most people"
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Herald

Quote:
The majority of us here play GD with zero stutter. .
Has there been an official poll or anything?

Just curious
Old 10-31-2018, 10:13 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawiglenn View Post
Has there been an official poll or anything?

Just curious
Do you need a poll? Do you think that people just keep playing a game that constantly stutters?

Just curious. I know I wouldn't.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:51 AM
Supporter

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64369
Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 AM
Herald

Quote:
Do you need a poll? Do you think that people just keep playing a game that constantly stutters?

Just curious. I know I wouldn't.
Some of the people I have "spoken" with says that they don't mind stuttering now and then - but if it was constant stuttering you are probably right.

One could also argue that "most of us" play GD just because we have no stuttering issues and those that had/have such problem has given up GD. So your answer/reasoning is based on selection. And how many are these "most of us" compared to the 1000000 or so people who have bought the game?

Last edited by malawiglenn; 10-31-2018 at 11:50 AM.