Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Development Updates

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Supporter

Hey, I think that's a really good idea. So, for example, you could enter a Chthonic rift and suffer a penalty to your Chaos resist while you're in there.

I notice the Depraved Sanctuary. Anything that encourages players to travel to rarely-visited areas is welcome to me. I haven't been there for years. Aaah, memories...
Old 07-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Supporter

Could we hope for maybe more lore-friendly designation for the areas?
I'm really bothered by the "Roguelike dungeon" as there is still nothing "Roguelike" in those: no procedural generation, no permanent death, no turn-based (for the most important criterias to be like Rogue).
They don't even qualify for "Roguelite".
Having instead something more neutral or more lore-friendly wouldn't change anything for those that don't care and it would be an improvement for the others.
Ultimately, "Roguelike" doesn't mean anything in the Grim Dawn universe (as they never had Rogue).
Old 07-23-2018, 02:32 PM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peredur View Post
I'm really bothered by the "Roguelike dungeon" as there is still nothing "Roguelike" in those: no procedural generation, no permanent death, no turn-based (for the most important criterias to be like Rogue).
Having instead something more neutral or more lore-friendly wouldn't change anything for those that don't care and it would be an improvement for the others.
Ultimately, "Roguelike" doesn't mean anything in the Grim Dawn universe (as they never had Rogue).
Even if they were indeed roguelike it'd still be a terrible name. Hopefully it's just a placeholder.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM
Acolyte

Noice. Hope we get a date soon and the option to pre-order it on steam.

Ps.: My expectations that we're getting a new mastery is running low.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:56 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtoastx View Post
Thank you Mr. Zantai. Will these changes go live before forgotten gods?
I am 99.99% sure that this will require the purchase of the expansion. So probably not. Crate has given us enough free content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peredur View Post
If you die in a rouguelike, you kinda loose they key invested and the chance to get boss drops etc. and have to start over. Yay.
If you want to play really rougelike-style, maybe play hardcore? Just a thought.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 PM
Acolyte

I don't really understand the reward portion of this. I have rares turned off in my loot filter and just press alt if I happen to kill one of the few MI mobs that aren't useless.

Why would anyone turn on 3 mutators in a dungeon to get an extra blue? For softcore it would just make it take longer. For hardcore it'd risk the character. I feel like dungeons are a bit unrewarding for the time spent compared to other content (some are worse than others).

For example I ran Ancient Grove twice this weekend and it probably took me an 45m-hour. I got 3 legendaries (and some recipes off vendor and chupa). Blues barely even count on the radar.

I probably get 6-10 legendaries an hour just doing twin hills and cronley. Doing a roguelike actually costs me a part of a legendary item (the key can be considered 1/6th of a 75 legend).

There are some significant gaps in itemizing a character in this game right now, but this doesn't fill it in any needs that I can tell. It's basically impossible to fill out a 75 set of legendaries before your character is 90+ and looting the next tier. I've actually got like 5 level 75 characters and probably not more than 2 pieces for any set.

If you want to make mutated roguelikes have a niche why not make it so mutated versions are guaranteed to drop a set item that uses one of your masteries?

There's gotta be a better reward than spamming us with more instances of loot we already don't pick up.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Advocate

Hmm not feeling this really - why would we get Mutators (which make sense in the Crucible environment) for some extra epic in a Dungeon? I mean really - Epics? If it was like 5x the number of legendaries - would make sense to compensate for the bigger time investment from the player to clear the dungeon with the extra mutators, otherwise apart from some challenge in Campaign dont see the point of it as of now (probably there is more to it than revealed though).
And anyway top challenge will remain Crucible (probably new waves?) and Rifts i assume?
Old 07-23-2018, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtoastx View Post
Thank you Mr. Zantai. Will these changes go live before forgotten gods?
No, it's part of the FG expansion for which you will need to have Ashes of Malmouth installed since it adds Inquisitor and Necromancer items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni das Alagoas View Post
Noice. Hope we get a date soon and the option to pre-order it on steam.

Ps.: My expectations that we're getting a new mastery is running low.
As testing hasn't started yet a release date is unlikely to say the least. As they did for AoM I expect it will be announced in a GM a few days before the release date. And Zantai's already said several times there won't be a pre-order option.
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:29 PM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaanus View Post
I don't really understand the reward portion of this. I have rares turned off in my loot filter and just press alt if I happen to kill one of the few MI mobs that aren't useless.

Why would anyone turn on 3 mutators in a dungeon to get an extra blue? For softcore it would just make it take longer. For hardcore it'd risk the character. I feel like dungeons are a bit unrewarding for the time spent compared to other content (some are worse than others).

For example I ran Ancient Grove twice this weekend and it probably took me an 45m-hour. I got 3 legendaries (and some recipes off vendor and chupa). Blues barely even count on the radar.

I probably get 6-10 legendaries an hour just doing twin hills and cronley. Doing a roguelike actually costs me a part of a legendary item (the key can be considered 1/6th of a 75 legend).

There are some significant gaps in itemizing a character in this game right now, but this doesn't fill it in any needs that I can tell. It's basically impossible to fill out a 75 set of legendaries before your character is 90+ and looting the next tier. I've actually got like 5 level 75 characters and probably not more than 2 pieces for any set.

If you want to make mutated roguelikes have a niche why not make it so mutated versions are guaranteed to drop a set item that uses one of your masteries?

There's gotta be a better reward than spamming us with more instances of loot we already don't pick up.
Yes, the drop rates in this game are very far from "generous" in my opinion. I just don't understand why so many players think it's fine. I guess they like having to depend on trade with other players all the time. I was about ready to quit the game for a while until I started using the Smash N' Grab mod that boosts drops for blues and purples. The vanilla drop rate for blues and purples on Ultimate would probably be ok if GD had some kind of smart loot feature that tilted the loot tables in favor of items your current character is more likely to use. But I realize that due to the class and build diversity, with things like damage conversion, a smart loot system just isn't feasible. Which is fine, but with that being the case, more high tier items need to drop in order to compensate.

Unless general drop rates are tweaked with the Forgotten Gods update, it's going to be even harder to find the items you want because the pool of possible items will be larger. Anyway, thank goodness for mods that fix the problem. At least for me...I'm well aware that I'm in the minority on this subject within this community forum.

And yeah....an extra blue or two in exchange for the mutators? Doesn't seem worth the bother. Another reason I hope they make all of this Challenge Area stuff optional like I said in a previous comment. Let's not just assume that everybody wants Crucible mechanics in the main campaign. Even for those who might not mind the mutators, maybe they wouldn't necessarily want to deal with them all the time. Perhaps one day a player just might not be in the mood for it, and would rather have the assurance that the whole dungeon will be cleared instead of raising the stakes with mutators.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:49 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaanus View Post
I feel the same way, I already nearly never pick up rare items but I have to leave the filter on to not miss the one in a million double rare (that I have not found so far, of course) that might make a build by itself.

I'd rather get a higher chance of a double rare, or more sets, or more blueprints (a personal pet peeve, try to complete these without trading/editor, I dare you).

Tags
grim misadventure