Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > Rants

Old 03-14-2018, 07:59 AM
Supporter

The article about this on Ars Technica is pretty measured. The promoted comments below are worth reading too.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluff View Post
I wanted to buy a Ryzen in the future because I dislike Intel as of late
Intel is kind of terrible recently but somehow AMD always manages to outdo them. Sad really, this market needs competition...
Old 03-15-2018, 01:22 AM
Advocate

Quote:
wtf Is it all BS or not
the takeaway is to actually wait.

and also that this isn't really about amd/intel but about the absolutely idiotic reporting. amd's secure processor is shit just like intels management engine. uefi probably can't be made secure, too big of an atttack surface. you still pick your poison.

and once again; these vulnerabilitites require the machine to already be compromised. cts-labs provided no public proof-of-concept. there is no verification - cts-labs expects you to trust them. they have no track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudel View Post
The article about this on Ars Technica is pretty measured. The promoted comments below are worth reading too.
can't say i agree. the persistence commenters talk about is a matter of making uefi / firmware dealing with uefi secure. neither amd's secure processor / psp nor intels management engine manage that. the only measured reporting would have been to state that there are claims that noone can verify. or that alleged security researchers wanted to create public drama over working together with others to fix or let others reproduce/try to fix the vulnerabilities.

Last edited by durruti; 03-15-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky parrot View Post
Is it so hard for people to teach themselves some CS and math
Yes. Because why do that when you can have fun?

lerning iz haaaard
Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by durruti View Post
can't say i agree. the persistence commenters talk about is a matter of making uefi / firmware dealing with uefi secure. neither amd's secure processor / psp nor intels management engine manage that. the only measured reporting would have been to state that there are claims that noone can verify. or that alleged security researchers wanted to create public drama over working together with others to fix or let others reproduce/try to fix the vulnerabilities.
The article makes it plain, that manipulation of AMDs stock price was the motive behind the release of report. Critics were cited. They reached out to a researcher who verified the claims.

Could they have reported on this more cautiously? Of course, but in my view they didn't have too.

Edit: I've done some further reading over here (it's in German, computerbase.de). Seems like even Ars jumped on the bandwagon too quickly. computerbase.de refrained from reporting on this until today, due the claims from CTS being highly dubious.

Last edited by Trudel; 03-15-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by durruti View Post
the takeaway is to actually wait.

Thanks. I'm illiterate when it comes to the new generation of hardware. My PC is very, very old.

Months ago I was convinced I'd buy an i5 but the prices intel has are not justified. Then I hard people swear by Ryzen...
Old 03-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Champion

Quote:
Thanks. I'm illiterate when it comes to the new generation of hardware. My PC is very, very old.

Months ago I was convinced I'd buy an i5 but the prices intel has are not justified. Then I hard people swear by Ryzen...
You can buy cheap I3-8100 unless you plan to stream.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptirodaktill View Post
You can buy cheap I3-8100 unless you plan to stream.
I thought i7 was for streaming while a better version of i5 is a nice middle ground And there is always a catch. I just read that the unlocked version is the real deal. Ironically the cpu was made as a reply to ryzen's.
85 dollars

Edit: an i3-8350K costs 250 dollars where I live. Holy crap. The one you suggested, i3-8350, is just 138 dollars. What a difference in price

Last edited by Superfluff; 03-15-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Champion

Quote:
I thought i7 was for streaming while a better version of i5 is a nice middle ground And there is always a catch. I just read that the unlocked version is the real deal. Ironically the cpu was made as a reply to ryzen's.
85 dollars

Edit: an i3-8350K costs 185 dollars where I live. 170 with dome discounts. Same price as a ryzen 5 it seems
Forget about unlocked versions, its a waste of money. If you want OC you are forced to spend 100$ on CPU and another 100$ on MOBO and another 30$ on cooler, for what? 20% frequency gain? Nah, leave it to kids =) I
Old 03-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptirodaktill View Post
Forget about unlocked versions, its a waste of money. If you want OC you are forced to spend 100$ on CPU and another 100$ on MOBO and another 30$ on cooler, for what? 20% frequency gain? Nah, leave it to kids =) I
I reedited the prices.

So you would chose that I3 over a ryzen 5? That has pretty much the same price where I live