Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 PM
Counsel

*cough*

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66790

may have had this discussion a little while ago.

I agree, reliance on Phys is kinda weaksauce and it stands out because everything else about this game is damn good. But stats meta isn't going to change. When I was really active in early builds, statlines were more flexible, so I never brought it up. But yes, defense is key, and Physique is the only key defensive stat. The obvious workaround would be to let the other two stats affect defenses, but that's new meta...

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.”
― Roger Zelazny
Old 02-23-2018, 11:20 PM
Praetorian

I think it's far too late to change the current stats system. Far too much balancing would have to be done and the gain would be little.

Maybe in a sequel they can make each stat as valuable as each other.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:20 AM
Speaker

or they could make player skill matter. or they could make it flat damage. (aka stack multiplicatively with % damage boosts.)

They could do a lot of things...
Old 02-24-2018, 12:31 AM
Praetorian

Which would require a ton of balancing. A lot of the people asking for changes in the stats system really are not thinking about the long term consequences.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:49 AM
Speaker

the consequences are a better game in the short and longterm.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:53 AM
Praetorian

Or it could end up destroying the balance of the game, making it a far worse game. Like i said, far too much balancing for so little gain at the current stage of development.

Oh, you can put all points into Spirit? Yay? I've always considered the stat points of a character to be a very minor thing in the identity of a character. The playstyle and what skills are used, those are the things that actually define a character. Not some arbitrary number. I also have never played a single game where the stats balance was ever good. There always a skew towards a single stat, a stat that was overall better than every other stat.

Last edited by Norzan; 02-24-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
Or it could end up destroying the balance of the game, making it a far worse game. Like i said, far too much balancing for so little gain at the current stage of development.

Oh, you can put all points into Spirit? Yay? I've always considered the stat points of a character to be a very minor thing in the identity of a character. The playstyle and what skills are used, those are the things that actually define a character. Not some arbitrary number. I also have never played a single game where the stats balance was ever good. There always a skew towards a single stat, a stat that was overall better than every other stat.

Game developers, who are afraid of changes, are BAD developers.
Spirit is too weak attribute, it's a cold fact. Why dont buff it in some way? When something in your game is too weak and unpopular, buffing it will improve balance and diversity, especially if buff is performed smartly.

Also, physique requirements on gear pieces actually promote ALL builds to invest fair number of points into physique anyway (or they will be unable to wear their items). Ring and amulets require only <400 spirit (which sometimes can be gained without investments), while leggings, for example, require 662 physique (270 more). I know, some builds should invest into cunning or spirit too, to be able to wear their items. But in case of physique, ALL builds must invest into it to be able to wear their items.

Sure, they way how GD stats are made, payers will always gravitate toward one stat. But when almost all builds gravitate towards the SAME stat (physique), and none gravitate towards another (spirit), we sure have a problem there.

My build/guide:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64706
Old 02-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Campaigner

Quote:
But when almost all builds gravitate towards the SAME stat (physique), and none gravitate towards another (spirit), we sure have a problem there.
I wouldn´t call it a problem. It would be if there would be any builds which really need a lot of Spirit but can´t survive due to lack of Physique.

It´s not a very good thing how it is, but nothing that spoils the game.

Last edited by Rhylthar; 02-24-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Supporter

@ to threadstarter

good question (you hit the nail on the head), simple answer:
This is one of the major drawbacks of this game (there are not many).

kind regards

Arkon
Old 02-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortalKombat View Post
Game developers, who are afraid of changes, are BAD developers.
Spirit is too weak attribute, it's a cold fact. Why dont buff it in some way? When something in your game is too weak and unpopular, buffing it will improve balance and diversity, especially if buff is performed smartly.

Also, physique requirements on gear pieces actually promote ALL builds to invest fair number of points into physique anyway (or they will be unable to wear their items). Ring and amulets require only <400 spirit (which sometimes can be gained without investments), while leggings, for example, require 662 physique (270 more). I know, some builds should invest into cunning or spirit too, to be able to wear their items. But in case of physique, ALL builds must invest into it to be able to wear their items.

Sure, they way how GD stats are made, payers will always gravitate toward one stat. But when almost all builds gravitate towards the SAME stat (physique), and none gravitate towards another (spirit), we sure have a problem there.
It has absolutely nothing to do with being "afraid" of change. A lot of people don't really realize the insane amount of balancing would have to go to make spirit more attractive. People just think the developers can just flip a switch and done.

Enemy stats. enemy attack damage, all the mastery skills damage that rely on spirit and several other things. It would be way too much work for so little gain at this point of development.

Buffing Spirit doesn't improve balance and sure as hell doesn't improve build diversity. Build diversity is about items and skills and not some arbitrary stats number. Two builds that play exactly the same are not gonna be different gameplay wise if one has full Spirit and the other full Physique.