Old 10-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Speaker

Default Necromancer pets need some love.....

The occultist / shaman pet builds is at least 2-3 times better than necro pet build. With the occultist / shaman setup you can melt through ultimate, and keeping all pets alive all the time with a heal here and there when needed.

The necromancer / Occultist on the other hand, it feels like the necro pets only are there to give a sad atempt to scare the enemy with there big amount of summons, they deal almost no damage it feels like, and your only focus is to recast summon skeletons as soon as the skill gets out of cooldown.
They die on ultimate before the skills cooldown is over. You cant heal them because the heal cooldown is so long that after you heal them, they are dead before next heal is up.

I dont know if its the necro / occultist set thats the problem, I dont think it is. I think its the pet design itself. The occultist hellhound is one of the weaker pets, but it still stays alive on ultimate. I did run with the lost soul set + pet boosting gear in the other slots, but those necro pets is at no use at all on ultimate, they die even with only fighting regular mobs, on boss fights it feels like they get scared and just fall dead to the ground to avoid the fight.

I hope you are planning to make the necro pets a viable option in the future, as it is now it not an option, since occultist / shaman pets are individual better than all the necro pets together. Even the necro big guy die just as fast as the skeletons.

Just a feedback to hope for a future where you can enjoy the necro pets.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnolesen View Post
...it feels like the necro pets only are there to give a sad atempt to scare the enemy with there big amount of summons, they deal almost no damage it feels like...
While i largely agree with your points on skeletons dying too easily - and worse tending to die all at once (which means 15-20 secs until you can really dps again) saying they do 'almost no damage' is absurd.

From my experience with skeletons they do vastly more damage than other pets but most boss fights go one of 2 ways:

-A stack of flame torrenting skeletons rip the boss to shredds in seconds.

-Boss gets off an AoE attack or two annihilating my skeletons and i have to retreat for cooldown on skeletons x 3 until i can mount a credible 2nd attempt.

It'd be nice if there was some middle ground there. Perhaps some way to reduce their usefulness with zero cd devotions and flat damage while upping their health (say a 30% increase in base damage, a -30% total damage dealt mod and a big increase to base health/resists)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:20 PM
Supporter

Chaos pet cabalist, if done right, has probably the highest single target DPS in the game when at the peak.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Herald

I mean, in my opinion skeletons are fucked up and deal too much damage. They might hit 9k per hit, but you have 8 of them, 72k damage per second. They just seem they're weak because they're multiple instances of the same damage source. You'll say the same about any damage-over-time skill, it hits for 30k/hit, you think it's shit, but it hits for 5 seconds, so a total of 150k damage, which is big.

The issue is not in the pets, but the player, who always sees separate instances of damage instead of seeing them all together.

The only thing I'd actually want to be changed in skeletons is spawning them, they take too long to spawn to make them effective. How much is that, like 30 seconds per cast, right? Not gonna bother checking, but assuming I am right, it takes thrice the cool down of them to spawn them without any skill modifiers, which is totally lame and makes me hate these bones.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 PM
Advocate

I'm not a pet expert but i wonder if op had their pet resistances capped; probably not.
It's easy to get used to neglecting resists for other pets since they have craploads of health and don't die too easily, but skellies need that to stay alive.

And considering they can do astronomical dps when they are alive due to their sheer quantity + flat damage buffs/auras and whatnot, having to invest much more in defensive stats to keep them alive compared to other pets seems reasonable to me.
Gallop, you plan to add, podzemele bagels?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Champion

Skeletons are the glass cannons of pets and they work very well in that role. Don't see a reason to make them more resilient that would make them overpowered. Blight fiend however could use some love, especially the mutator.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyGandalf View Post
I'm not a pet expert but i wonder if op had their pet resistances capped; probably not.
It's easy to get used to neglecting resists for other pets since they have craploads of health and don't die too easily, but skellies need that to stay alive.
Given that this is LITERALLY impossible its kinda crap advice. Pet resists other than elemental only really show up on legendaries and a few choice epics - and there just aren't enough of them in many cases to keep the super squishy skeletons alive. And chasing %health when between base skill mod and bonds of bysmiel you already have 200%+ gives negligable additional defense (while completely gutting their damage!)
Old 10-12-2018, 11:35 PM
Supporter

The best Cabalist pet build is almost as good as the best Conjurer pet build (Conjurer is still better though), but once you start to deviate from extremely fine-tuned, top tier builds, Necro pet builds become dramatically worse, very quickly, and there are a lot of reasons for that.

I've made a lot of pet builds. I've made reasonably good builds with every Occultist subclass using 2x Hellhounds, with every Occultist subclass using 2x Familiars, solo class Occultist, every Shaman subclass with the Beastcallers set, and with solo class Shaman. I have never been able to make a competitive Necro pet build other than Cabalist and Ritualist, and even those have drastically less versatility than Conjurer.

The problem is two fold. First, all Necro pets are less reliable in terms of pet up-time, they are all effectively temporary. Second, Necro pet support, pet and player defensive buffs, and pet and player healing skills are substantially worse than those provided by Shaman and Occultist.

Additionally, the damage types used by Necro pets are only really supported by Occultist and Shaman, so you're really roped into those subclasses.

I think it's telling that both Deceiver and Inquisitor ultimately make better pet builds that Ritualists.