Old 10-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Counsel

The only place I really wish there was a riftgate that there isn't one already is Tyrant's Hold. It's such a pain in the ass to get out there, and with the celestial smith out there it's really the only out of the way place that I can see myself going to multiple times.

Steps of Torment could also use a gate closer to the entrance, but since that's a place I generally prepare to go to and spend time in it's not nearly as pressing.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:15 AM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawgmoth View Post
The only place I really wish there was a riftgate that there isn't one already is Tyrant's Hold. It's such a pain in the ass to get out there, and with the celestial smith out there it's really the only out of the way place that I can see myself going to multiple times.

Steps of Torment could also use a gate closer to the entrance, but since that's a place I generally prepare to go to and spend time in it's not nearly as pressing.
I second this notion, and I propose the following suggestions:

Old 01-05-2017, 05:15 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnkerZan View Post
I second this notion, and I propose the following suggestions:

I agree with this. It is a huge PITA to get to Shaded Basin or Tyrants hold.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:20 AM
Supporter

I don't like the idea of moving the Broken Hills riftgate. Riftgates should be at good start/stop locations.

What we need is to be able to repair the bridge at Twin Falls (from north side) so we can just take the riftgate there and then walk north to Tyrant's Hold.

Same goes for the broken bridge that connects the Arkovian Foothills to the Broken Hills. Then we could take the Arkovian Foothills rift and walk west to the Steps of Torment.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:48 AM
Praetorian

These suggestions have been made time and time again. The devs don't want them so they're not going to happen. If they had wanted to change things around they'd have done so by now. And iirc Medierra said that when they changed the Twin Falls/Broken Hills area some time ago it "broke" the ability to make the bridge repairable.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Supporter

I see no problem with the Broken Hills riftgate, it's the start of a new area, and it kinda makes sense to be rewarded with one immediately after exiting the Arkovian Undercity.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
I've seen some discussion about how it is sometimes too long between riftgates. I'd like to get feedback in this thread about whether or not you agree with this assessment and which places in particular you feel are too long if certain locations stand out as being especially bad.

Thanks!
It's a bit uneven but it's one of my main negative point about the game.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 PM
Initiate

The only place in the entire game that feels like it needs a riftgate after my multitude of Ultimate runs is Tyrant's Hold / Pine Barrens. The distance between Tyrant's Hold and the Pine Barren's rift feels really, really far, which is cumbersome because of the blacksmith that is there. I understand that he can craft legendaries and perhaps this large distance is to deter players from abusing the blacksmith, but it's still annoying.

Otherwise all the other portals in the game feel fairly placed.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Initiate

Thinking back to my very first playthrough, I think Old Arkovia could use a riftgate somewhere inside it. When I play now in multiplayer, usually the party ends up ripping a path straight through to the targets of Haruuv's sidequest, then to Kilrian. However, on the first run, when I was trying to clear every room and didn't know where to find the devotion shrines, Old Arkovia is an enormous area, with no riftgates inside it and no way of telling where the closest rift is if you haven't played through already. Trying to explore/clear all of Old Arkovia in a single session made it particularly grueling.

Another place I'd ask for a riftgate is somewhere closer to Tyrant's Hold - I'm pretty sure some of your mappers sunk a lot of hard work in making that area, and it has some cool gimmicks like the spike-floors, but it's not currently rewarding enough to justify a 5-10 minute detour from the Jagged Waste's rift. At most I'll visit there twice per run - once for the devotion shrine in the yard, and again for the quest that the Deathmarks give you. If there isn't a riftgate closer to Tyrant's Hold, I think it should be expanded and turned into a 'roguelike' area like Valbury, SoT, etc. to give players more incentive to trek all the way out there.

Looking back on it, I think the riftgates felt the most frustrating during my very very first playthrough: the distance between rifts felt exponentially longer since I was meticulously sussing out every nook and cranny of the map to learn where the devotion shrines/hidden goodies are before moving on - there's no hints of which mini-dungeons are just dead ends, and no way to tell which dilapidated buildings or critter-infested storage rooms have actual loot or which ones are better off ignored to save time. I'd almost suggest adding more riftgates specifically to Normal/veteran mode, and leaving elite/ultimate as it is for when the player is more familiar with the map.

Last edited by Machofish; 03-12-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Supporter

Yes it's too long. Especially when levels are long winding with lots of (artificial) blockages between the last and the next gate. Some caves are exorbidantly long. If we could just quit and start where we left off this wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Tags
maps, portals