Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Off Topic > News In Gaming

Old 04-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Praetorian

Default Starcraft 1.18 and remastered news

Well, First thing, blizzard has nearly finally released a new patch that fixes a few bugs and adds some QoL improvements (for the original SC)

Quote:
1.18 Patch Notes

Added windowed fullscreen or windowed mode; use Alt+Enter to switch between.
Added the option to customize keybindings.
Added cursor clamping in-game while windowed; unclamped in menus.
Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types.
Added options to display actions per minute.
Added Observer mode.
Added opponent information when joining a game lobby.
Added autosaving for replays.
Added an option to display the game timer.
Added UPnP support.
Updated to a new OpenGL backend.
Improved gameplay responsiveness during multiplayer by increasing turn rate to match LAN speeds over Battle.net.
Improved UI layout in Battle.net sections.
Improved behavior of available lobbies within the ‘Join Game’ section.
Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
Improved anticheat capabilities.
Improved installation and patching performance.

Bug Fixes

Fixed palette issues to correct rainbow water, 80s Kerrigan face in the loading screen, and other graphic glitches.
Fixed problems with LAN game discovery.
Fixed IME support and other menu text artifacts.
LAN and Legacy Battle.net fixes.
The patch isn't out yet, but you can download the full game from the PTR, (but it has some issues that need to be ironed out) Oh yes, as from today, starcraft is now free, (or will be fully once the 1.18 patch goes live.

Also its now possible to play this fine on windows 7 and above, (to some degree PTR version that is) but no more rainbow colours or needing a Bat file to run the game.

Also, SC2 is dying out, (not really surprised there) while SC BW remains highly played by the koreans.

Another piece of news, SC will get a remaster edition, (updated engine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZLnnAgEQ6Y

which should be out summer and will cost, but no info on how much. But basically be the same game, (so same number of units in a group for example) so nothing ground breaking there. Not sure what to make of the remaster, as this is just seems to be a graphics upgrade. But if you already got the free version, (which is a classic) it will be a hard sell to sell the new remastered version?

Still, at least the game will finally work in windows 7 without issues. just a heads up.

edit

its a about bloody time for this new patch me thinks!

Co-op Digital Deluxe Bundle supporter I hope GD is a success

Last edited by matthewfarmery; 04-03-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Praetorian

I am happy to see they aren't just making SC look like SC2 with a locked camera, it actually looks good. Everything retains it's shape, just wiht far more clarity. Nice. I played the shit out of SC1, SC2 I played the story of the original and that was that, didn't bother with the xpacks at all.

Cool stuff. The game worked fine in win7+, the rainbow shit went away with a workaround, not even involving the .bat file, simply opening the windows screen resolution menu (right click desktop > resolution), and bam. But glad to see it's getting fixed regardless.

Adding the f2p to the original is nice too, surprisingly I have a few friends who never bothered to buy it because of how old it was (and back in the day they just used my key). Now I can finally crush them in MP. >: )
Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Praetorian

I didn't know about the res workaround fix, I always used a bat file, works as well. But yeah, glad that its finally going to be fixed.

I have to admit that the remaster does look good, but then again, as the original is free, not sure if its worth getting? for me, the classic is fine.

As for 2, I could never really get in it, blizzard I think messed up a few things with the game. I still have it installed, but stopped playing it. While 1 I can play again and again. I just feel that the story in 1 was a lot better. music wise also.

2 just doesn't grab me at all really. But yeah, its nice still that its still supported after all this time, a classic that is worth playing even today.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Praetorian

[off-topic]

Speaking of classic RTS games, there is a modded version of Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun/Firestorm with working MP, new fixes etc.:
Download - http://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberian-sun-client
Patchnotes - https://rampastring.cnc-comm.com/tsu.../changelog.txt

Nice to see good old RTS games getting some love from community.

For those looking for unmodded version, you can download it for free @ www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=26468

Too bad RTS games have always played second fiddle to the more popular RPGs and shooters. Nothing really interesting on the horizon besides Spellforce 3, that just looks amazing and reminds me of Age of Empires with Armies of Exigo warcrafty RPG elements.

[/off-topic]
Old 04-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Praetorian

Thanks for the heads up and downloading, loved that game.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:37 PM
Herald

So, after years of hubris and exploitation, Blizzard actually does something fans want. I will pass final judgement once it actually comes out, but perhaps Blizzard is finally on the path of repentance for its heinous crimes and heresies.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dioarchet View Post
So, after years of hubris and exploitation, Blizzard actually does something fans want. I will pass final judgement once it actually comes out, but perhaps Blizzard is finally on the path of repentance for its heinous crimes and heresies.
Nah, Starcraft is just the only game in their basket now that isn't always online, so they're coming up with 'other' ways to cash in. If they did something fans wanted they'd make a proper D1/D2 remake, or a proper D3 (!).

I'll take my cynic hat off now :/
Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 PM
Advocate

Man and I thought the new Titan Quest patches were a long time coming...
Old 04-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Praetorian

Wel its now official, The 1.18 patch is now live. (it went live yesterday.

Mac and windows installers

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/star...ic/20754425295

One thing mind, for some reason they have decided to remove keybindings, (no idea why) also the game uses opengl 2.1 so grab it if you want, afterall its now free.

The remaster will come later, and in form of a HD skin install pack, (which you need to buy) still, it's a classic, and worth playing again.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 PM
Herald

I wonder if I still need my script to kill Explorer to play on Win 7 64 now.

Likewise, this entire patch looks like it was focused on QoL improvements for online play. I don't mind that, but I was hoping to see more on the single player end other than adding popular maps. Although, is there a list of which maps were added?