Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 08-20-2018, 08:35 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhy720 View Post
Re-keyed after your suggestions, and it does do more damage, and I think it makes the rotation feel a little more smooth, though I have found myself hitting CT to proc TD even if I'm not in the thick of a bunch of mobs. Canister bomb was already fun, but aetherfire makes it more so.

Saw a comment about making this a starter(ish) character: With the gear being craftable (visit the trade forum and you can easily find someone to make it if you don't have the BPs), mirror, and two separate and powerful circuit breakers, this really is a forgiving build. I'm not the best pilot by any means, and I've only died a couple of times, mostly because I get a little over-zealous with my charging (and because Aleksander is an asshole).
Yes, rebinding Canister Bomb to Aetherfire was a bit revolutionary. All the stuff you can learn about the game by reading these forums.

Procing Time Dilation with your active attacking skill is always a bit clunky, but I try to proc it after I get into the center of a big brawl on a late wave (with Mirror up), possibly after debuffing few hero mobs with Nulification, that way you get more usefulness out of Aeon.

And thanks for giving my build some publicity, Sorcerers have really been on decline since AoM release.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:42 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_lee View Post
And thanks for giving my build some publicity, Sorcerers have really been on decline since AoM release.
I really like the idea of the build (cataclysm, hourglass, etc) but I really really (really) don't like demolitionist. Something about the way the skills work (they are all like chucking grenades, dont feel like spells at all, if that makes any sense) just doesn't do it for me. The only thing in the kit I find appealing is blast shield honestly.

Are there any other elemental type builds that might play similarly (aside from the obvious rune and wind devil setups...)? I would consider something like a druid maybe but I definitely don't want to play a vindicator (even though I know its technically ideal for elemental stuff) as I don't want to rely on pets/totems or runes or feel like that's all I have to work with.

I was thinking I could play a mage hunter with cataclysm instead of the usual PRM setup.... I think I might be able to make it work with stormfire/devastation/CT (and maybe additional meteor sources) or maybe a TSS build.

Last edited by Rhaegar83; 08-27-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:38 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegar83 View Post
I really like the idea of the build (cataclysm, hourglass, etc) but I really really (really) don't like demolitionist. Something about the way the skills work (they are all like chucking grenades, dont feel like spells at all, if that makes any sense) just doesn't do it for me. The only thing in the kit I find appealing is blast shield honestly.

Are there any other elemental type builds that might play similarly (aside from the obvious rune and wind devil setups...)? I would consider something like a druid maybe but I definitely don't want to play a vindicator (even though I know its technically ideal for elemental stuff) as I don't want to rely on pets/totems or runes or feel like that's all I have to work with.

I was thinking I could play a mage hunter with cataclysm instead of the usual PRM setup.... I think I might be able to make it work with stormfire/devastation/CT (and maybe additional meteor sources) or maybe a TSS build.
I agree that throwing molotovs and grenades and placing mines might not be as exciting for some as conjuring storms and blizzards and meteor rains. Also, it is mostly a dot build, so there is that.

If you want to play a more exciting type of caster, I will shamelessly plug my Spellbreaker. It requires some skills to pilot and its Crucible times really depend on your skill (also less effective than Rune of Hagarad builds obviously), but it's damn exciting to play. It's extremely fast (45% cdr), it does massive damage, it's very nimble. Besides, it's a simple setup that also just rips main campaign into shreds (very very fast farmer).
Old 08-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Initiate

Quote:
I agree that throwing molotovs and grenades and placing mines might not be as exciting for some as conjuring storms and blizzards and meteor rains. Also, it is mostly a dot build, so there is that.

If you want to play a more exciting type of caster, I will shamelessly plug my Spellbreaker. It requires some skills to pilot and its Crucible times really depend on your skill (also less effective than Rune of Hagarad builds obviously), but it's damn exciting to play. It's extremely fast (45% cdr), it does massive damage, it's very nimble. Besides, it's a simple setup that also just rips main campaign into shreds (very very fast farmer).
Thanks for replying and understanding.

Nice build, I'll check it out. Is this the one zhuugus refuses to add to his guide? Thanks for properly pointing out the faults in his build logic.

I generally ignored nighblade as I'm not interested in melee stuff, though I knew it was cold based too. I do appreciate a CDR build that actually uses a damage type that matches with star pact (always seemed a waste taking it with fire and aether builds).

I guess cdr builds also work best for characters like sorcerer, spellbinder and spellbreaker that have circuit breaks from both classes too.

I'm curious why you don't use blade barrier. I thought the main advantage of spellbreaker was being able to chain that with mirror. It looks to me like the hourglass is only really for mirror then? Is that worth it?

I've currently been leveling a mage hunter and finally broke down and decided to see what all the fuss is with runes. I don't immediately hate them... They at least look like spells and not just some sort of mechanical trap thing.... I could do without the arming delay though. Hard to judge their power level at this point though. I expect they will get nerfed if they are truly so braindead good.

I also tried out a shaman to see how I would feel about wind devil and storm totem and didn't mind that either, so maybe a Druid is an option for me as well. I would have preferred a fire and lightning or tri element build but it seems that either requires demo or isn't viable

Last edited by Rhaegar83; 08-28-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:08 AM
Initiate

Nice one, looks really good, and after breaking the bank of 3 characters to try get the right stoneplate boots, this is refreshing. My question is this: what can I substitute for the Ravager's Eye weapon augment, as this happens to be my only character who has Barrowholm on Nemesis.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:32 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimdawned View Post
Nice one, looks really good, and after breaking the bank of 3 characters to try get the right stoneplate boots, this is refreshing. My question is this: what can I substitute for the Ravager's Eye weapon augment, as this happens to be my only character who has Barrowholm on Nemesis.
Black Legion one with %elemental hp and oa or maybe even essence of Chton for little bit more rr. If you feel like DA is still lacking you can move points back from Spirit to Physique too.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:12 AM
Initiate

Quote:
Black Legion one with %elemental hp and oa or maybe even essence of Chton for little bit more rr. If you feel like DA is still lacking you can move points back from Spirit to Physique too.
Thanks for the prompt reply!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:45 AM
Champion

Since there is nothing to do for me untill next patch I am back to crazy min-maxing - trying to polish my older builds.

Managed to get this one to a level it can steadily farm Crucible Gladiator with 4 buffs/ no banners in 10-11 minutes. It took one Mythical Combustion Band ring that I have been wrongfully overlooking all this time (plus did change amulet component). Uploaded a video of a run on Crucible of the Dead.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 AM
Champion

Quote:
Since there is nothing to do for me untill next patch I am back to crazy min-maxing - trying to polish my older builds.

Managed to get this one to a level it can steadily farm Crucible Gladiator with 4 buffs/ no banners in 10-11 minutes. It took one Mythical Combustion Band ring that I have been wrongfully overlooking all this time (plus did change amulet component). Uploaded a video of a run on Crucible of the Dead.
I think you should start thinking about devastation. My infernal knight sorc now clears in 9 min (bannered but with more than usual lag because fire build + devastation) just from adding devastation. I know it's a cheap way to boost your damage but it's some good shit.

Last edited by x1x1x1x2; 10-21-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:46 AM
Acolyte

Grim Tools link seems to be broken by the formatting.

For anyone lazy enough to view the source: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqKjY82

Tags
sorcerer