Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Classes, Skills and Builds

Old 03-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Champion

Default [1.0.5.1] Emperor's Archmage: All Content Viable, Easy to Gear Sorceress (u) (g2) (c+) (vid)

(2 buffs, 1 level 1 Stonewall Banner run).

Foreword (usual ramblings, you can definitely skip that)

With the introduction of the Ashes of Malmouth waves in Crucible a lot of players just gave up on this game mod in Single Player, especially on playing waves 150-170 in Gladiator. And let's be honest, it's not that fun to play. Some builds cannot even come close to being viable there (despite being decent in pre-aom 130-150 Crucible Gladiator), some builds need very specific monster infrequent items in order to be able to play it. And then there is a great divide and even disparity between mastery combos. Spellbinders, everything Soldier, Mage Hunters, dominate the meta some due to permanent invulnerability, some because of, you know, shields.

I wanted to make my old Sorcerer an ultimate caster build. Yes, it's the same character that used to be a People's Gunslinger long before Ashes of Malmouth, then it became a furious melee CT Sorc. It's time for her to ascend into the rank which only few legendary elite casters achieved: Archmage.

Build Concept

Versatility

This build is jack of all trades and it excels in most of them. It can facetank most content but it doesn't need to. It can kite and nothing can stop it (maxed out running speed/trap resist/slow resist) all while maintaining almost the same damage output because most of its damage comes from dots and procs. It has a mobility skill. Great crowd control and debuff. Resistant and/or immune to most cc effects. Mirror with Time Dilation + overcapped Blast Shield + cheat death proc from the medal.

Perfect blend of Defense and Offense (with the stress on former)

Around 3090 in pure unbuffed DA + around 2800 armor + overcapped resists with a lot of max resists increased + some dodge/evade. Around ~3180 unbuffed OA with 78% crit damage. +2200% to Fire damage and + 1850% Burn Damage (with 250% duration bonus) + benefits from buffed spirit. This build can take a punch and it packs a punch. And I've already mentioned Mirror/TD/Blast Shield/Mark of Divinity combo.

Most affordable top-tier build ever

3 (four!) armor pieces are craftable not including Helmet and Relic, so 6 pieces in total. No insane "tripple-rolled" monster infrequent items required. Not a single green item or a monster infrequent legendary is needed in fact.

The Build

[1.0.6.1] Update

Since Crucible is softer nowadays I ditched a good chunk of DA on this build in favour of more offensive setup devotion wise. I also took people's favourite Meteor Shower since Warpfire's burn duration has been nerfed. Overall, better performance across the board, still very safe to play (I would definitely recommend it for Hardcore) and now killing times are even faster. Uploaded a 150-170 4 buffs/no banner run.

Decided to buff build's Spirit to get even more damage for our spells. Plus reassigned devotions.

>>>>>>>>GRIMTOOLS<<<<<<<<

Gear:

I've tested few item combinations for this build. The one that is in the Grim Tools is by far the superior one. We craft all our gear at Angrim in Devil's Crossing, looking for %armor roll and high DA on boots/pants/relic. Try to get 6% Chestguard of Justice (I still don't own it) and high chaos resist on off-hand. It goes without saying that high cdr on off-hand is optimal.

Skills and Devotions:

Again, everything has been tested thru and thru, trust me on this. Everything is self-explantory. We do need Vindictive Flame and Ulzuin's Wrath to proc our procs. We do need 16/12 Blast Shield to be able to take a stand during its duration no matter who we face. And Cannister Bomb is a better performer than Devastation for this build, because it has Burn damage, lower cooldown and higher single target damage.

Leveling and Attribute points distribution.

Leveling as Arcanist is pretty easy, granted skill from Searing Ember or from Flintcore bolts coupled with Olexra's Flash Freeze can take us very far (to the point where we can start equipping mythical gears).

Put all attribute points into physique. No wheel invention here.

The Showdown

How to play

In Main Campaign it's pretty straightforward all out offensive style. We charge with our relic skill, throw BWC/Flashbang, pop CT, reset cooldowns with Cannister Bomb, charge to our next target (all while bombarding everything that didn't burn alive with Stormfire from weapon component). Everything melts very fast, everything is facetankable except Gargabol. Use mines when you come across cluster of heroes, or against purple bosses. You can choose to use mirror or not to use it, it's very hard to die in Campaign either way. This build would be great for Hardcore fast farming, very swift and very safe. Against Kuba, pop mines, pop BWC, usual routine, use mirror more often to facetank him, don't stand in puddles, not because it's dangerous, but because he heals thru them and it makes the fight longer. Against Grava'Thul: kiting is prefered, but try to kite around your own cluster of mines, take stands when you have mirror or blast shield up, watch out for his nullification projectile, it can kill you thru mirror. Overall, not an easy fight, can't get critted, but can get whacked by nullification, so watch out for that. Stay close to him during your mirror/blast shield uptime so he doesn't cast nullification. As long as he casts it, start kiting, and keep that nullification projectile in sight. As soon as it disappears, charge him and unload everything you have.

In Crucible, watch out for Fabius/Iron Maiden combo, for some reason those two basterds together can give you hard time when you are playing without buffs/banner, so don't facetank them, just take stands when mirror/blast shield is up (pop mines when you mirror cooldown is nearly up). When kiting, don't forget to throw flashbangs/BWC's and pop CT while mobs are chasing you. Even against 4 big bosses, you have to take a stand when your mirror or blast shield is up, to burst them. Your weak spot is aether resistance overcap (just 25%), so play safe against Anasteria, she can kill you even thru Blast Shield. Just surrond her with mines/bwc, and run around her, dodging her Devastation and popping your offensive skills, always use mirror with her when possible. Reaper is surprisingly easy with this build, he dies pretty fast chasing you and his OA seems to be insufficient to do you any real harm. Watch out for Ben'Jahr + Iron Maiden combos, always seperate Ben'Jahr from other Nemeses, his DA shred is pretty dangerous.

Stats:

No Buffs

Videos (more to be added soon)

Crucible Gladiator 150-170 4 buffs/no banners (a bit slow, but with fully leveled devotions and better piloting I reckon 12 minutes are possible)

Crucible Gladiator 130-150 extra spawn no buffs/no banners

Kubacabra

Ancient Grove (boss fight is very sloppy)

Mad Queen

Grava'Thul

Ravager fight

This build can kill Ravager. I am yet to do that, had about 4 tries and failed when he had ~30% hp. The fight is not that hard on paper but becomes tedious and dificult to focus on closer to the end because how long it takes and how much focus it requires. Basically we run around a tree south of his spawn, spamming our dots and taking a stand everytime our mirror is up with a sequence that looks like this: charge him with relic's skill, pop up mirror at the same time, bwc, CT, Nullify if he casted some kind of nasty stuff, cast Cannister bomb, if possible use relic's charge again, retreat. Fight should take around 20-25 minutes. To prepare for it, overcap your Bleeding resist by at least 25% by using Barrowholm augments and put 3% health augments everywhere else unless it's a Ravager of Souls that does a bit of Aether damage. Or you can drink new potion that adds 30% to bleeding resist and use 3% health augments everywhere. Again, fight is tedious and hard because of how long you have to be at maximum focus. But it's doable.

In Conclusion

Want to thank everyone who posts original and non-conventional builds to this forum, got inspired by few of them, especially by the Chinese DA meta.

Last edited by mad_lee; 08-17-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Champion

No idea why everyone does that
Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Counsel

Read your build, I have some advices:
-A good rolled kymon badge (harmonious/stalwart/ incorrupted of vitality/readiness) beats Myth of divinity, fixed your aether/chaos resis as well.
Stormfire deals morderate dmg, 3 points on fire strike/ explosive strike is better.
3 pieces Myth justice make you more tanky with good benefits (+32 flat dmg, 70 DA, 190% fire/burn dmg), save you some free component slots too.
Overcapped blast shield is not necessary, you can save points then spend on elemental balance or themite mine.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by holystar88 View Post
Read your build, I have some advices:
-A good rolled kymon badge (harmonious/stalwart/ incorrupted of vitality/readiness) beats Myth of divinity, fixed your aether/chaos resis as well.
Stormfire deals morderate dmg, 3 points on fire strike/ explosive strike is better.
3 pieces Myth justice make you more tanky with good benefits (+32 flat dmg, 70 DA, 190% fire/burn dmg), save you some free component slots too.
Overcapped blast shield is not necessary, you can save points then spend on elemental balance or themite mine.
Thanks for the input, but no.

- Mark of Divinity adds ~800 health (build is starved on health points), increases maximum elemental resistance (huge deal in Crucible), decreases incoming damage from Aetherials (again, huge deal in Crucible) and lets me overcap Flame Touched. Cheat Death proc is massive in most toughest fights (like Crucible 150-170 and Ravager), lets you fight with more confidence

- Stormfire actually deals bigger damage than 5 points in Fire Strike/5 points in Explosive Strike. I tested it. Not only that, it has a shotgun effect (because it has 3-4 fragments) which is also good for proccing stuff against crowds. And it's ranged and very spammable because we have increased casting speed as opposed to very slow attack speed and neccessity to be in melee range. And Warpfire's weapon damage is a joke, this weapon sucks for melee.

- Faceguard of Justice is an option, but again, we have stacked enough DA for a ranged build, we are going to lose OA/evade plus radius/damage to BWC (latter is very important since we need BWC to touch as many monsters as possible due to its OA shred and physical damage reduction). %Fire/Burn damage gain is negligible, and flat fire damage is almost useless for this build.

Again, I've been testing this shit for a week, different gear combinations, different skill combinations, different devotions. This is the best version so far, everything in it is for a reason, everything clicks. And yes, even 16/12 (not 15/12) Blast Shield is needed too.

Last edited by mad_lee; 03-19-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Emissary

Nice Build Lee !
I love Phoenix Constellation
Combine with Blast Shield + Maivens, they really give you very nice damage absorption
Not to mention CDR Mirror + High Potency
Old 03-20-2018, 12:56 AM
Herald

Coming from someone who loves my MIs, I really love how you always manage to present no MI builds even though you probably have many usable ones (you giving away lots of them makes me conclude that).

I love the gear choices. Eveything is well-thought out. I'm a fan of Eternity so I was quite surprised about not having it here but it all makes sense. Your hp requires you to have that magic number 16 on Blast shield as well as the mobility from the skill.

There's only one thing I disagree with what you wrote. You mentioned the top classes as: Spellbinder, Soldier, Mage Hunter.
My personal rankings are: Spellbinder, soldier, sorc, purifier. In that order
Old 03-20-2018, 01:22 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x1x1x2 View Post
Coming from someone who loves my MIs, I really love how you always manage to present no MI builds even though you probably have many usable ones (you giving away lots of them makes me conclude that).

I love the gear choices. Eveything is well-thought out. I'm a fan of Eternity so I was quite surprised about not having it here but it all makes sense. Your hp requires you to have that magic number 16 on Blast shield as well as the mobility from the skill.

There's only one thing I disagree with what you wrote. You mentioned the top classes as: Spellbinder, Soldier, Mage Hunter.
My personal rankings are: Spellbinder, soldier, sorc, purifier. In that order
Ah, thanks, person who understands my gear/skill choices

Eternity might be an option, but oa/da, coupled with mobility skill that is reset by TD is just impossible to beat. Even if cc-resists on Korvaak's are of no use to this build. Having this mobility skill makes it a blast to play in campaign, where with this amount of defense you can just relax and facetank and wreck everything.

And I do have plenty of good greens. Posted few of them to Trophy room even. And crafted like couple of thousands of boots already probably. But truth is, for this build legendary pants and boots beat mi's. Maybe pants could be replaced by stalwart of dranghoul Solael's or Grava pants, but that spirit boost plus immunity to skill distruption plus a proc that is actually pretty freaking strong makes Arcane Harmony Leggings damn hard to beat.

I love that you list sorc as one of the strongest classes, but I think it's beaten by Mage Hunters (rune builds are insane), Elementalists (Light Defender plus new Mythical Rune of Elgoloth) and maybe even Witch Hunters (phantasmal blades).
Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 AM
Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_lee View Post
And I do have plenty of good greens. Posted few of them to Trophy room even. And crafted like couple of thousands of boots already probably. But truth is, for this build legendary pants and boots beat mi's. Maybe pants could be replaced by stalwart of dranghoul Solael's or Grava pants, but that spirit boost plus immunity to skill distruption plus a proc that is actually pretty freaking strong makes Arcane Harmony Leggings damn hard to beat.
The boots is the most replaceable part, imo. I just prefer having more hp that I can afford dropping blast shield a bit and invest more on Vindictive flame to get movespeed overcap, and coupled can with maxed slow res, it's virtually unslowable. I'm rocking Infernal Knight on mine though so we have a bit of difference in what we experience in crucible.

Quote:
I love that you list sorc as one of the strongest classes, but I think it's beaten by Mage Hunters (rune builds are insane), Elementalists (Light Defender plus new Mythical Rune of Elgoloth) and maybe even Witch Hunters (phantasmal blades).
My rankings are more on versatility and survivability rather than cleartime. Spellbinder has lots of item options, though it's confined to aether. Same with sorc but with fire. Soldier has a lot of build options from physical, bleed to aether or poison, but only s&b is good. Purifier has the most varied build types (g&b, 2h, caster, even dw) but is also confined to fire. All of these though have very good survivability while not being confined to just one build. Mage Hunter is close but can only pick one of Censure or Star pact for either damage reduction or consistent double mirrors.

I actually haven't heard of Elementalists in cruci yet. It's usually Vindicator or warder who uses the LD set as I've seen, cause they're the ones who can easily get DA. Still, they're confined to one build and one set of items. Same with WH. I only know Fluff's build.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:46 PM
Speaker

Just when I was thinking about levelling my old CT Sorcerer to 100. This build is great, thanks for sharing !
Old 03-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Campaigner

Do you really think this build is easy to gear up? Come on...

Grim Dawn dla zielonych:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=916207134

AoM CDR Primal Spirit Conjurer:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65761

Tags
sorcerer