Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Speaker

Default Questions about Shield and Damage Absorption

I have recently acquired the full set of Spellscourge, and Overguard is featured heavily in the set. I have never used Overguard before, so I have several questions:
  1. What kind of incoming damage does a shield really block? Does Shield also block DOT? If Incoming Damage is 10k after resistances, which breaks down to 5k fire, 3k physical and 2k Bleeding over 2 seconds, and my Damage Blocked stat says 4.8k, how much fire/phys/bleed damage that is blocked?
  2. The damage absorption of Overguard seems very small, only 90 at 12/12, how is it that so many builds rely on this skill? And does Overguard also absorp DOT?
  3. While I'm at it, I will also ask about the damage absorption from Menhir's Bulwark, which is 12% at 12/12. Does it also apply to DOT? If the incoming bleeding damage is 1000 over 2 seconds, will it be cut down to 780 over 2 seconds?

Another question is OOT, but I'm baffled often by the language used by Crate sometimes: what does "Increases health regeneration by -x%"? Like that one in Siphon Soul. Does it mean that the health regen of the target monster will be cut by x%? Can the value of health regen be negative, and will it mean that the monster loses life for the duration of the spell?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:20 PM
Champion

I'll leave #1 to someone else because I'm not totally sure.

#2 flat damage absorption is so strong because it comes last in the damage reduction calculation. So, after resists, armor and all that. It works on everything, dot included. That's why what looks like a small value is actually really strong.

#3 cuts all incoming damage regardless of source

See the exact order of defense here: http://grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat.php#q17
Old 03-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralgazer View Post
Another question is OOT, but I'm baffled often by the language used by Crate sometimes: what does "Increases health regeneration by -x%"? Like that one in Siphon Soul. Does it mean that the health regen of the target monster will be cut by x%? Can the value of health regen be negative, and will it mean that the monster loses life for the duration of the spell?
It's very odd language, but the effect is that it adds the value to the target's Health Regeneration stat. When it's a negative number, it will be a reduction by that amount/percentage. Kinda sad that they couldn't figure out how to make it display the text "reduces health regen by |-x%|" for attacks but whatever I guess.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 PM
Herald

Shields block any damage.

Damage absorption applies to every damage too. Oveguard isn't only the damage absorption stat; it reduces shield recovery time (cool down of block) and the amount of blocked damage by shield. Also, free 100% stun reduction.

Menhir's Bulwark damage reduction works the same way.

Imagine imagined imagination while imagining imagined imagination by imagining imagined imagination. Imagining such imagined imagination imagines imagination of imagined imagination to imagine imagination that you think you just imagined.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:14 PM
Speaker

Thanks for all your answers. So Shield and Damage Absorption, especially the flat one, is very strong. I will give that Spellscourge a spin soon.