Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Gameplay > Gameplay Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to play while rotating the camera? What about having the map rotate as well?
Rotate camera view; use map rotation. 15 20.83%
Rotate camera view; use "Lock Map Rotation" so map is fixed with north always up. 13 18.06%
Do not use camera rotation; use map rotation. 8 11.11%
Do not use camera rotation; use "Lock Map Rotation" so map is fixed with north always up. 36 50.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strigvir View Post
No wonder the genre is so stagnant, when the people can't even understand how rotating camera makes the game so much more enjoyable.
Ikr, the devs go out of their way to render environments 360 degrees around and people never pan the camera about to admire it. Boggles my mind.

On a more serious note, camera panning is great for spotting secret area entrances
Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaknet View Post
For myself in any argp it's a case of I prefer to have as much view between myself and the mobs as possible, so for example, when I enter a cave and the cave and all the mobs are down (in relation to the screen) I spin the camera so I'm heading toward the top corner of my screen which gives me more view diagonally then straight up or down...also I personally find it strange to be running straight down, but that's just me
That's a good way of putting it. Ideally I want an over-the-shoulder camera view like in most MMOs (I basically view ARPGs as single-player MMOs, if I can put aside the linguistic nonsense of that phrase... ). Literally implementing that would be horrible, unplayable, and nauseating with this game's controls, but camera rotation gives the same effect with minimal and unnoticeable effort on my part.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:26 PM
Initiate

I use locked map, and (only if absolutely needed) map rotation.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Counsel

I rotate both the camera and the map. It's how I learned to read a map so I always end up doing a bit of map orientation on first entering an area. But I often use it to just take a better look at the world. During combat I'll spin the camera for a better angle often enough. If I'm zoomed in though, I tend to not touch any of it.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:09 AM
Initiate

Default Interesting...

Thanks to all for participating! I was curious to see if I was doing what the majority did, but according to this poll - so far - it seems like many more of you keep the map locked than I had thought.

It made sense to me to keep "N" firmly planted up all the time... but somewhere along the line I liked the idea of rotating the map to orient my direction of travel along the map's variations.

What I found would happen, was that I inevitably would get disoriented, so for some odd reason, instead of locking the map, I set the keybinding "Camera Default View" to "Z" and I would just often hit "Z" to reorient myself often.

I think I'll give locking the map another try! Thanks everyone
Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Herald

Use both camera and map rotation, although i may lock map now that i know it's possible

but i really love the possibility to totate camera, huge improvement from TQ for me
Fiddler - Explosive Marksman Commando 30 Kalam - Swift Blades Nightblade 25 Onos Toolan - Death Incarnate Shaman 15

Tags
rotate camera map option