Old 11-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Initiate

Default vindicator 2H crit, pls help

Hello,

I am a new player to this game, i do have some experience in rolepaying games, and was advised to try out GD, so I did a throw at a build. However i get lost in the itemization and certain mechanics. I was aiming for an autoshot build with lots of chance on attack and critical activating stuff.

Q1: Could somebody give me tips on things i should watch in my skill setup and devotions. (pls include motivations)

Q2: How should you handle itemization, what is the general idea behind it. For example, is it generally crafted or do you need to loot everything?

Q3: Mechanics question, i noticed bursting round and chilling rounds are not proccing at the same time, how is the effect calculated, cumaltive (so it rolls a number between 0 and 100 and picks the effect like a rod of wonder?) or serial (roll first, if not -> roll second, if not -> roll third...) or rolls everything and queues the not used ones to subsequently use them in following shots?

Edit: sorry, so new i can't add a link to my build, here is the URL for grimtools a2EL93vN

Last edited by Teriderol; 11-03-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriderol View Post
Hello,

I am a new player to this game, i do have some experience in rolepaying games, and was advised to try out GD, so I did a throw at a build. However i get lost in the itemization and certain mechanics. I was aiming for an autoshot build with lots of chance on attack and critical activating stuff.

Q1: Could somebody give me tips on things i should watch in my skill setup and devotions. (pls include motivations)

Q2: How should you handle itemization, what is the general idea behind it. For example, is it generally crafted or do you need to loot everything?

Q3: Mechanics question, i noticed bursting round and chilling rounds are not proccing at the same time, how is the effect calculated, cumaltive (so it rolls a number between 0 and 100 and picks the effect like a rod of wonder?) or serial (roll first, if not -> roll second, if not -> roll third...) or rolls everything and queues the not used ones to subsequently use them in following shots?

Edit: sorry, so new i can't add a link to my build, here is the URL for grimtools a2EL93vN
One could write a book trying to answer your questions www.grimdawn.com/guide is the place to start at.

Q1 Decide on the damage. Lightening? Then pick your skills and devotions that use and complement it. Skills: the seal and renewal are a must. Savagery is IMO the best autoattack for 2H in the game. Devotions: aim at ultos later. Pick up viper, kraken, rowans crown, widow, some healer (giants blood, chariot), etc. Stack offensive ability for more and better crits.

Q2 Both. Best items in game are called mi or greens and drop from selected enemies with randomized pre- and affixes. Tip: just use what you drop when leveling and save components for end game.

Q3 That is an EXCELLENT question. I wish someone more experienced will follow up on it.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Game guide should have the answer.

http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat.php
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Supporter

[QUOTE=medea fleecestealer;652194]Game guide should have the answer.

http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat.php[/QUOTE

Yeah... It’s not definitive but you could surmise it’s the first answer (cumulative chance). Thanks.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 AM
Supporter

I have a question that the guide doesn’t seem to answer clearly. When a passive wps procs what happens to the autoattack replacer bonuses (like savagery or fire strike)? The guide says “use instead.” Does it mean that if you have 100% stacked passives there’s no point in investing anything in savagery?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Praetorian

Every default attack (or replacer such as Savagery) you do has the listed chance to perform the skills such as Chilling Rounds, only one of them can occur at a time. These are called Weapon Pool Skills or WPS.
If you get 100% chance in various WPS, your default attack will always release some sort of WPS as well.
As someone else posted, please check the Game Guide if you're interested for more basic mechanics, there is also an advanced mechanics guide somewhere that has more in-depth info.

As for tips, you could take a look at my guide. The 3rd post in the thread has a step by step leveling guide that doesn't require any Legendary items, and this class combo is quite new player friendly so it's well-suited to a first build.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

This one I think Weyu, but not sure how up to date it is.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23720
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_ View Post
I have a question that the guide doesn’t seem to answer clearly. When a passive wps procs what happens to the autoattack replacer bonuses (like savagery or fire strike)? The guide says “use instead.” Does it mean that if you have 100% stacked passives there’s no point in investing anything in savagery?
The % weapon damage of the replacer and WPS get multiplied together and the flat damage of the replacer is added to the WPS. In that sense, WPSes increase the effect of replacers by an extraordinary amount.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Champion

To explain WPS (weapon pool skills) a little more in depth:
1. They multiply the weapon damage you do by the listed value
2. They activate of default attacks
3. Because skills like savagery are default attacks, thy multiply the damage dealt by a savagery attack by the listed value

4. They work on a weighted system. In essence, if I have 3 WPS each with a 50% chance of proccing, the weighted pool would be pushed to 3*50% or 150%. The odds of each WPS occurring would therefore be (50% / 150%) or 33%.

This means that stacking more than 100% WPS chance essentially decreases the odds of a specific WPS from occurring and this can be detrimental if you “dilute” your WPS pool with lots of crappy ones

5. Cadence has a weird interaction with WPS in that they do not stack with one another. DWCadence builds will also at most focus on one or 2 WPS. Why?

Because you have a chance to hit with both weapons when DW and when using normal attacks. This counts as 2 charges for cadence.

However, WPS count only as a single charge. Having 100% WPS chance will therefore decrease the frequency at which cadence occurs.

Quote:
Can I talk to you about our lord and savior Jesus - Tycho
Old 07-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir spanksalot View Post
5. Cadence has a weird interaction with WPS in that they do not stack with one another. DWCadence builds will also at most focus on one or 2 WPS. Why?

Because you have a chance to hit with both weapons when DW and when using normal attacks. This counts as 2 charges for cadence.

However, WPS count only as a single charge. Having 100% WPS chance will therefore decrease the frequency at which cadence occurs.
They work pretty much the same way with exception that Cadence 3rd hit is special attack not affected by WPS.
Yes, WPS count only as single charge, but if that WPS deals 2*200% Weapon Damage there's no damage loss. You just need to test the WPS impact on dummy kill time to decide whether you need it or not.

Tags
help request, mechanics, new player, vindicator