Go Back   Grim Dawn Forums > Grim Dawn Developer Section > Developer Discussions

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonedge5 View Post
Not the steam sale argument again....

...in a way, I'm sorta an anti-control freak
Well, there was a reference to Steam by LokiHades, but Gibly is right, your post comes off as a rant and OT.

But in a sense you have proven that control freaks can also be anti-control freaks. Brilliant!

(sorry, I have nothing to say OT, just here to warn that post deletion will be next if things do not get back on topic)
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
The only limitation I see with my PC is that it is in my officespace. And after working a full day on a PC, I often don't feel like also spending the evening in a chair at a computer terminal gaming. Consoles have filled that void by letting me sit on the couch with a simple controller and play my game in comfort.

Most of my purchases have come for the consoles because of that. But I still keep my PC for certain games - like Skyrim, and for PC games where there is no direct console port (MMORPGs). It would be interesting to see "mobile" devices take the place of PCs if they become that powerful, as it could mean gaming almost anywhere... but I think that they will always lag behind to some extent, mostly because of the architecture of the computer. For example, my computer is liquid cooled to allow me to push it hard.. running the same kind of CPU/Graphics combo on my phone would melt it :P
I used to play console games for a similar reason but a couple of years ago, before anyone was even talking about smart TVs, I rigged up my pc to my 55" Sony Bravia, and added a wireless keyboard and mouse and wireless Xbox controller. I never looked back. Sold both of my consoles because they were just gathering dust.

I am finding however that for arpgs in particular being set up at a desk with a 22" monitor allows me to play with greater precision.

"You have served the Black Legion well. We do not forget our allies."
- Deathmark Vallar
Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Lord Advocate

I actually believe that all that "PC gaming is dead" talk was a bit of a journalistic error.

Journalists have relied on statistics of boxed sales for decades, and game journalists normally are more into games, and less into finance economy. It was always when the NPD groups yearly statistic (box sales in brick & mortar stores only) was released, that some articles on "PC gaming is dead" would pop up in the gaming press.

But while PC started to sell less and less physical boxes early on, it made up for that in digital downloads - no decline in overall sales. Digital distributors like Steam usually don't allow neither publishers nor developers to talk about how many copies they sold through their store. So even those who knew the real numbers, couldn't talk about them - and neither the press nor the consumers ever got to know anything.

I believe that PC gaming NEVER declined, but has been growing ever steadily and slowly.

That doesn't mean that console sales aren't bigger than PC sales - that's because console sales grew rapidly while PC game sales only continued their usual growth. So consoles overtook PC, but they did so in parallel, by acquiring new customers, breaking into new markets. Consoles didn't grow by taking away PC gamers.

Publishers had no reason to correct the skewed angle of the press - they didn't like PC for piracy and other reasons, and they only cared about their biggest blockbusters and the biggest market - which is console.

But PC gaming wasn't dying - it has always been growing. It just didn't grow as fast as the market expanded, and nowhere near as fast as consoles grew. So if you look at relative numbers like "market share" - then PC saw steep declines here. But in absolute numbers PC gaming always was growing.

The only thing that PC gaming ever lost, the only thing that declined on PC is the casual market. People who'd play Bejeweled on their office PC or use their low-spec home PC to play Mahjong have all switched to playing those games on mobile devices. But this decline has no influence on the core game market at all.

PC gaming never was dying, and there is no renaissance of PC gaming now either. It just keeps growing as it always did.

It's only the press who now notice that all their "PC gaming is dying" talk was bullshit, and they stopped relying on boxed sales statistics, and with crowdfunding and other things (Occulus Rift, etc.) happening, PC once more became the center of attention - there is stuff happening on PC which just doesn't exist on consoles.

That renewed interest of the press might cause a bump in the growth of PC gaming - but there is no "big change" - never has been.

Last edited by hooby; 07-20-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Initiate

Out of interest do any of you guys use a dedicated server for gaming, i used to a while back with friends but we never renewed our domain. I would like to start it again with the good people of this forum, is anyone interested? We can get a Server dedicated tariff from this Deutsch firm i think? Any advice welcome.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
Out of interest do any of you guys use a dedicated server for gaming, i used to a while back with friends but we never renewed our domain. I would like to start it again with the good people of this forum, is anyone interested? We can get a Server dedicated tariff from this Deutsch firm i think? Any advice welcome.
I just wanted to say two things. First, I am shocked that you actually decided to make a real post finally, have been curious about all of your previous postings on this board.

Second, how does this dedicated server concept tie into GD? You want to leave a GD instance running on a server somewhere where others can join? GD is not really set up for that as you would only be hosting running the typical game client. For example, when you clear out all areas on the map, somebody has to reload the game to respawn monsters, it is not just a "server" program you can set up and run indefinitely, without intervention, but maybe you understood this?
Last edited by jiaco; Tomorrow at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaco View Post
I just wanted to say two things. First, I am shocked that you actually decided to make a real post finally, have been curious about all of your previous postings on this board.
TIL jiaco stalks certain forum members.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyaz View Post
TIL jiaco stalks certain forum members.
Hardly stalking, more moderating. Have you seen some of the posts by NeilYoung?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibugsy View Post
Hardly stalking, more moderating. Have you seen some of the posts by NeilYoung?
Yeah, most of them don't contribute much to the conversation or thread on hand, but they're more on topic than the conversation we're having.

Tags
distribution, game design, kickstarter, platforms