Old 07-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Acolyte

Default Movement with mouse vs controller

I always play ARPGs like this with a mouse and keyboard but yesterday, just for fun, I decided to see how the game would feel with a controller. But much to my surprise, moving around somehow felt a lot smoother.

I couldn't really figure out why until I went back in with a mouse and tried moving around again that way. I noticed that with the way I move (holding the button and moving the cursor towards the direction I want), the character would occasionally jag away from the direction I wanted him to go and start running up a staircase or through a door. One place where this almost always happens to me is at Homestead, especially if I'm trying to exit the city towards the portal while the camera's facing north.

The sense I got was that when moving with a mouse, the game tries to apply some sort of pathfinding to get the character to a specific location (possibly to where the cursor is on but I'm not sure) whereas with a controller it was a more simple method of just propelling the character in a particular direction regardless of what is or isn't in the way.

But I'm not an expert, so I may be completely wrong. I curious to see if anyone has some insight into exactly how motion works in this game, and whether anyone else has had similar experiences moving around with the mouse?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 PM
Counsel

You are correct: the difference is pathfinding.

The controller has no pathfinding.

With the mouse, you could make your go-to locations very close and you would see very little pathfinding influence. However, pathfinding removes much of the mouse tedium.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Speaker

All in all it depends for me. My Witch Hunter has lots of actions and needs to be mobile, target DoTs and so on. My casters, too. For those I prefer the mouse.
My gunslinger on the other hand feels a lot more comfortable with a controler, as I can stand still, shoot and instantly move the other direction, where with mouse I would have to move the mouse away from the target and then move. Also with my PC the shift key seems to stack up some presses sometimes and my gunslinger just stands there and continues to shoot for some time.

So for some characters that place area effects I prefer the mouse for others they controller. Both is fine.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSeer View Post
All in all it depends for me. My Witch Hunter has lots of actions and needs to be mobile, target DoTs and so on. My casters, too. For those I prefer the mouse.
My gunslinger on the other hand feels a lot more comfortable with a controler, as I can stand still, shoot and instantly move the other direction, where with mouse I would have to move the mouse away from the target and then move. Also with my PC the shift key seems to stack up some presses sometimes and my gunslinger just stands there and continues to shoot for some time.

So for some characters that place area effects I prefer the mouse for others they controller. Both is fine.
Interesting. Controller with ranged characters can feel a bit awkward to me at times because I think the auto-target gets weird sometimes (which is probably why I don't use it more), but for single targets like a tough boss, the fraction of a second you save moving after shooting could be very valuable indeed. Especially for hardcore players.

Edit: But of an aside, but I wanted to share something for anyone either considering playing with a controller or who plays with a controller but faced this problem: by default the right stick not only turns the camera (as it should) but also zooms in our out if it detects any movement along the vertical axis, with no in-game way to unbind (which it shouldn't, and can make the game unplayable by controller). There's one easy way to fix it: open steam in Big Picture Mode, go to the controller configuration for Grim Dawn and disable the vertical axis for the right stick.

Last edited by Zulfiqar; 07-13-2018 at 08:29 PM.