Old 09-02-2018, 07:36 AM
Speaker

Default Shadows: Awakening

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5...ows_Awakening/

Anyone tried it? looks decent enough, very pricey though.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:29 AM
Supporter

well it was free for people who had the previous game.

idk im curious as well, i did check few videos , but idk i like the graphic but something in gameplay feels bit clunky, duuno
Old 09-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Advocate

Well, I tried it.

P.S: The game has potential, will see how ot will be in release.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik View Post
the full release was last Friday...
Old 09-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik View Post
Well, I tried it.

So its Action with some char development or something closer to D2/GD? Cause from steam videos action-component looks rather lack-luster.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptirodaktill View Post
So its Action with some char development or something closer to D2/GD? Cause from steam videos action-component looks rather lack-luster.
I would say it is ARPG like GD. Some issues were fixed during Beta. So may be now it is in a good shape/state.

Last edited by Strannik; 09-02-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
the full release was last Friday...
Ah, I missed the release - thanks! Let's see what has been done in release and compare it to Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptirodaktill View Post
I watched a stream, and the char you control has 3 abilities to use on QWE, but you can switch between 3 different(i think?) chars which have different abilities as you wish. Different but maybe fun, still not seen enough for me to just buy it though.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Advocate

Some details on Shadows: Awakening gameplay.

1. You have party that includes up to 4 characters: the demon to explore shadows realm (this place is always booked since he is the main character) and 3 companions to explore physical realm.

2. The companions are like demon's pets with their unique set of skills and the list of available companions will increase during the game. BTW, the companions can summon their own pets.

3. As far as I know at least 2 places in the group are optional - you can chose the companions from the list for the adventure. The remain place can be reserved for a certain companion if needed by the quest (depends on area and other aspects).

4. You can change group members by visiting sanctuary in shadows realm.

5. You can unlock all skills for every character - demon and companions. However looks like only some of the skills can be maxed out.

6. Every character can use only up to 3 active skills in combnat (assigned by default to 'Q', 'W' and 'E'). However you can always chose other active skills combination in order to support an effective strategy against enemise (bosses)

P.S: If needed I can share screenshots and other info on this.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Praetorian

Been playing it for a couple of hours now as well. So as a first impression on top of the shortlist above...

The ones in the physical realm are called puppets. You need to switch between them an the demon. So you have to do each area twice. One in the physical to kill enemies and loot. Another as the demon to kill enemies there with loot. However the demon also gets Essences as loot drop. These let you enchant your gear from the earliest levels...if you have the coin. So I ended up with a lvl 1 glaive enchanted with fire and life leech right away. Which is nice.

The switching between demon and his meat puppets also has an interesting twist regarding combat. Skills between all the members of your party can have synergy going on. For example the demon needs to stun and hit to take down the targets spectral defenses. Then he can do a skill to boost party damage. Meaning your barbarian then does additional damage with his melee skills... Which combines really nicely when he uses warcry to reduce opponents armor/defense as well. You can create nice combo's that way. At other times you switch between them, because a demon can glide across broken bridges are through hidden walls. Or stop time to solve basic puzzles. Its a nice integration that way.

Your base/auto-attacks aren't simple hits either. If you keep the attack going you'll do fluid follow up moves. Nice animation in that regard.

As said you can only have 3 skills for each character selected. So that is a total of 12 active skills to try and synergize while switching between characters and their abilities.

So far the gear selection seems standard. Lots of resists and other stats to play with. Your standard attributes with strength, life, agility and magic. You get an additional talent every 3 levels. Leading to 10 in total. Talents that let you earn more money rewards, increase inventory, increase an attribute, do more damage, regenerate more health etc. The skill selection is pretty basic and you unlock a new one regularly to about 10-12 max different skills. Can only choose 3 at a time to be actively used. You can also upgrade skills you prefer from tier 1 to 3.

Gameplay feels responsive, but bit sluggish/heavy. Difficult to explain. Skills/attacks happen immediately. But they happen as if something slows it down or something.

It seems there are no multiple playthroughs for each difficulty. You just pick one and play it through. There is no New Game+ either.

This game also supports ultrawidescreen resolution easily running at 100-110fps with an RX480 gpu and everything maxed. Keybinds are odd and unintuitive. Tried to setup different binds, but some keys are locked to something...which isn't listed anywhere. So I couldn't go for the setup I prefer. Thankfully the mouse wheel lets you switch between characters of your active party. So I could put everything somewhat where I wanted.

It isn't your typical Grim Dawn-esque game. Shadows:Awakening is the next line from Heretic Kingdoms and Heretic: Inquisitor. Due to alot of legal issues, and the original publisher going bankrupt, this studio had to fight hard to get their IP back. So yeah that's why the name is different to the ones that came before. It also means that this game is more story driven as well. If that's not what you like then .. well don't buy it.

Something I really annoys me for some reason is that there is no quick save button in a game like this.

https://www.twitch.tv/Giblix

Last edited by Gibly; 09-16-2018 at 04:37 PM.