Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1  
Old 02-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Crate Employee - Designer

Default Favorite TQ skills

There have been a lot of polls in the past on titanquest.net about favorite masteries but I'd like to hear about people's favorite skills.

Please respond with just one post telling me which 2-3 skills were your favorite and briefly explain why. Specifically, did you really like the gameplay mechanic, did it have a really great synergy with another skill, did you just love the visual effects or theme of it?

Please try not to post comments about other people's choices if you can help yourselves. It will be most helpful for us if we can just read through each person's skill feedback with as little other noise as possible. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Initiate

My favorite was from TQ:IT - Phantom Strike - I liked the "disappear and boom" aspect of it. Visually and usefulness of it was great. I will refrain from posting more, but that was my favorite one for sure.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Advocate

The Best(s):

+Deathchill aura+synergies -deep green/bone ghosts movig fog around character look visually cool: necromancers choice
+Fire elemental/core dweller (getting bigger and bigger as upgraded...look even cooler
+burn fire/lightning effects were also cool
+dream melee attacks psionic touch(distortion fields)...
+dead bodies stay on floor forever -best feature of all!!!(not skill but number one visual feature)

-Worst: Annoying white star auras around defender YUCK.(I liked defender conception but it had white auras and i never picked it because of his annnoying white auras... My eyes flew out...
White auras were too harsh, too bright and very annoying for me. Too colorful things similar like a child tale. I prefer steel/rust/wood/bone/gore like natural colors(and natural visual effects:blood/broken body parts/steel/wood effects), not a colorful tale colors (white/yellow/purple/ childish rainbow feelin'...)

Last edited by MadWasp; 02-21-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Supporter

Summon Core Dweller: Quite possibly the best pet I've ever seen in a game. It was just fun to have a lumbering ox of a pet kicking butt by your side. I would spend so much time making my PC so i could use a Core Dweller. Above all he was an amazing pet and saved me more than once on the battle field. And he could set fires and cause burn damage, and minor reflects it was very nice.

Phantom Strike(PS) Shield Charge(SC): These 2 skills were amazing, they allowed you to get in close and start ripping up clusters of mobs. With PS you could move in with out agrooing the surrounding enemy's and focus damage on a caster or a powerful enemy first. With SC it worked more as crowd control(CC) for ranged attackers with its built in CC, I also used SC as a way to keep me alive when i just needed to focus on 1 enemy by stunning the horde.

Summon Outsider: These was a Boss skill and a "Holy Crap I'm going to Die" skill. I love having a massively powerful skill to whip out when the going gets tough that's useful from the start to the end of the game. The Outsider could have looked more badass for my tastes but he was a force to be reckoned with. I would plan attacks based of his reset timer, made for a lot of waiting but it also kept me from rushing in like a maniac.

quick additional thing: The skills that added damage used to much mana that adding them to a melee build hurt, Earth was very hard to work with because of this, had to pump a lot of points to get your mana/regen up to snuff to sustain the build. And Onslaught was so gaudy and bright I would have been happy with only 1 ring or a small dot on the ring that double/tripled with power increase instead of a huge bright ring that reduced visibility. Onslaughts visual effects alone made me not want to play with Warfare as a mastery.

Last edited by Starkrun; 02-21-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Praetorian

I really liked the idea behind briar ward, but briar ward just didn't work. If a skill like that could be applied in the opposite manner, such as growing plants on your enemies rather than around you, it could be a really cool and useful skill.(poison ivy from batman? )

Spellbreaker was awesome too, but very situational. Being able to strip the mana from the enemies was neat, but seeing as they didn't need the mana to cast spells, it was a huge turn off. It WAS satisfying seeing them lose their onslaught, or envenom weapon, or whatever aura they had. It was also pretty satisfying being able to kill typhon in 3 hits with a spellbreaker. Very cool spell.

Distortion Wave/Distort Reality: Both really awesome spells that I always use. Not only ingame with dream classes, but with my TQ mod, I've made SEVERAL spells, that use modified versions of these spells. I have a whole mastery using only the AoE effect of DR. They are alot of fun to use, and wave skills are really bad ass and handy.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by medierra View Post
There have been a lot of polls in the past on titanquest.net about favorite masteries but I'd like to hear about people's favorite skills.

Please respond with just one post telling me which 2-3 skills were your favorite and briefly explain why. Specifically, did you really like the gameplay mechanic, did it have a really great synergy with another skill, did you just love the visual effects or theme of it?

Please try not to post comments about other people's choices if you can help yourselves. It will be most helpful for us if we can just read through each person's skill feedback with as little other noise as possible. Thanks!
I think is imposible telling you only 2-3 skills.

Squall+Obscured Visibility. Great visual effect and mainly great effectivity. And really important for me: its exclusivity when defending you from archer and caster mobs, because no other skill does the same.

Shield Charge + Disruption Also this hability resume great bonifications incredible useful and easy to use: A Fast atack plus a multiple atack plus disruption.

Regrowth (+accelerated growth+disemination). I like travel with few potions, selling more of them. Another reason why it is one of my favorite skills is that regrowth is one of the best skills helping at first levels, and for the first time in the game. And, also, because is funny healing pets so easily...

Those are my 3 choosen habilities, but if you want to read some more I feel with the obligation to talk also about:
Stone Form a lot of posibilities with this, good animation, and useful for any character with earth mastery. Also very funny using "Bracers of Atlas" with a lot of characters at low levels.
find cover and temporal flux I loooooove pasive skills and these from hunting and dream are great examples, combined or not.
I am sure I am forgetting some other skills i love too.

(And I didn´t want to talk about those skills any player love because of their superlative buff or debuff like study prey, plague or phantom strike. They are great but less amusing for me while using them.)

Last edited by Skorpion_King; 02-21-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: (spelling mistakes..)
Old 02-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Acolyte

Pulverize, Disable and Shield Smash : I love the powerfull and spectacular passive skills !
Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Emissary

Since I've mainly just played the archer class, I'd have to say Study Prey, Scatter Shot and Puncture Shot are my favourite. I loved the sound they made as well as seeing little pieces of shrapnel fly all over the place...oh and the damage it does.

I really should try some other class builds...

Last edited by Chameleon; 02-21-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Speaker

I love Squall/Obscured Visibility. I love it because it's a skill that's powerful enough at low levels to actually rely on for the damage, and at higher levels even when the damage isn't as awesome anymore, it's still very useful and makes your other skills stronger.

I love Sands of Sleep. It lends itself well to several tactical maneuvers for any Dream character, whether melee, caster, or archer, and is useful throughout the game like Squall.

I love the Rogue's Throwing Knife/Flurry. It is useful for almost any character type, and plays well with other skills and equipment bonuses.

In general, I love skills that are useful in multiple ways to different character types, and retain their usefulness throughout the game. I don't like skills that become obsolete.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

I think you guys really did great with Dream. Maybe too good as I find it hard to do without the quick cooldown RMB Distortion Wave. And of course the panic button Distort Reality was the only way through the archers in Act 4. But to add new info I also really like passive skills. Dream + Defense was so perfect as you could attack with mainly dream stuff and still sink points into the passives from both masteries which indeed improve your toons abilities.

So do not forget the great passives from Lucid Dream to Pulverize.
Closed Thread

Tags
skills, titan quest